Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2015, 08:27 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkin View Post
I assume keeping expo at zero in my TX is best (otherwise it feels really mushy from both skookum and the TX from compounding effects)
Quote:
Originally Posted by omerco View Post
I use 15 expo with my 3d setting
I'm the same as omer, around 15 and sometimes 20% expo, and the Skookum feels great
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2015, 12:51 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

It depends on your setting - if you are using low bell gain, acceleration and especially rates - you don't need the expo. but once you start using a more responsive setup you need to tame it around mid stick for the more accurate maneuvers - that the expo.
2 X X7 | Scorpion 4525 Ultimate 4+6T YY / Xnove 4530 525 | scorpion Tribunus 200II ESC | Edge 713 | Logo 690SX | Pyro 440 7+8T YY | Castle 120HV | X3 | 4S | HW 50A V2 ESC | Scorpion 2221 2050KV 9T D | SK540 / Brain2 | Mks
omerco is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2015, 01:07 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
It depends on your setting - if you are using low bell gain, acceleration and especially rates - you don't need the expo. but once you start using a more responsive setup you need to tame it around mid stick for the more accurate maneuvers - that the expo.
Very well explained, thanks for sharing this information

When is a good time to use stick dead band? I was playing around with the on my goblin 380 and kinda enjoyed it at 2.0 on ele and ail, tail default at 2.0. But since cranking up my Bell gains and control rates recently I found it felt off so took it down to 0 on ail and ele, expo at 15 and still felt I needed more expo in 4 point tic tocs to get them cleaner looking lol. So I tried 0.5 on ele and ail and 20% expo and now it's exactly like a sim during fast direction changing moves so to speak, the 4 point tic toc is mostly where I seem to be needing this kinda tuning.

Can you elaborate alittle on this? Thanks dude.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:30 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think you are refering the dead band the wrong way: it is there to eliminate "noise" from the Tx I.E. you want the dead band as small as you can (otherwise it will feel strange around center) but higher than you Tx noise.

The way to adjust is just power up while connected to USB and watch the center stick noise from the Tx while the sticks are centered (I also move them a bit and release back to center). On normal Tx's 0.5 is enough, but I have seen older ones go up to more than 1 - which is a good time to buy a new one

For the tail - leave it on 2 as we don't want our collective movements interfere with the tail.
2 X X7 | Scorpion 4525 Ultimate 4+6T YY / Xnove 4530 525 | scorpion Tribunus 200II ESC | Edge 713 | Logo 690SX | Pyro 440 7+8T YY | Castle 120HV | X3 | 4S | HW 50A V2 ESC | Scorpion 2221 2050KV 9T D | SK540 / Brain2 | Mks
Old 05-17-2015, 04:21 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I think you are refering the dead band the wrong way: it is there to eliminate "noise" from the Tx I.E. you want the dead band as small as you can (otherwise it will feel strange around center) but higher than you Tx noise.

The way to adjust is just power up while connected to USB and watch the center stick noise from the Tx while the sticks are centered (I also move them a bit and release back to center). On normal Tx's 0.5 is enough, but I have seen older ones go up to more than 1 - which is a good time to buy a new one

For the tail - leave it on 2 as we don't want our collective movements interfere with the tail.
Oh wow I had that all wrong lol. Thanks man I'll have to check all my heli's now
Old 05-18-2015, 01:52 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

You need to check only one and then set the same for all of them
Old 05-27-2015, 05:45 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
You need to check only one and then set the same for all of them
Dang, once again I learn something new from you. I had run Spektrum for years, and on my last DX7 and 8 the sticks wouldn't clean up till 2. And yes I ran the software in the 8 to try and address that. It never even occurred to me to reset the values when I got my Jeti. Looks like I need to address this on my fleet.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:51 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Old 05-28-2015, 03:28 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm curious to know how these setup files were generated since there are items that are hidden. Does the SK setup program have a 'hidden' menu or is there a guide somewhere that would allow somebody to change the file in a hex editor and know what they're changing.
KickerOfElves is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2015, 04:30 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickerOfElves View Post
I'm curious to know how these setup files were generated since there are items that are hidden. Does the SK setup program have a 'hidden' menu or is there a guide somewhere that would allow somebody to change the file in a hex editor and know what they're changing.
Some of the team pilots have access to settings that other do not, just like the Skookum gang does.

We all used to have access to these individual parameters prior to the V4 update which consolidated several of them to make things less busy and simplified.

I wish they would just give them back to us under the "Advanced" choice setting in the software, then those who want them can have them. At this point there is very little if any difference between the basic and advanced menu settings.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:22 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just to be 101% sure, the 'custom' setup files don't effect any of the SK-GPS functionality in any way. Is this correct?
Old 06-05-2015, 10:28 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

They were made from my 540 setup, so Re your gps to verify.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:05 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default sk-gps

Hi,

just loaded up the 3d Omer file and i have to redo my gps...
Old 06-06-2015, 05:52 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Could you please elaborate? and maybe post it back after you fix it and I will update the files.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:46 AM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do you mean the compass swing? If so then yes because you likely loaded a file that didn't have any GPS setup in it to begin with if it came from Omer.

The compass swing will have to be redone any time the unit sees a file entered that changes anything regarding the GPS setup position from its previous calibration, even if the original file gets loaded back in.

The way to avoid this is to download Omers file while NOT connected to your unit, and then manually enter all of your exact GPS setup data into the new file and save it before ever loading the new file into your FBL unit for the first time.

My guess is you dumped a changed file into your unit, so the system saw the GPS changes and now you must start over with the GPS setup and calibration.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:20 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Please confirm that these custom setup files are compatible with the v4.07 firmware.

I just want to be certain before trying the new version.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:28 AM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

they are. save your setup before you update just to be sure.

A reminder to all - if you right click on one of the cyclic tabs and choose "reset to XXX" it will go back to default 50 hiller and bye bye optimization....
Old 06-21-2015, 08:39 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got a dozen flights now on my goblin 380 with Omers optimized file, definitely an improvement. Previously I logged 267 flights on this model before trying the optimized file, mostly due to being lazy lol. My other models have had the files for sometime now, actually even before they were posted on here

Reason I wanted to upload the file now is mostly due to practicing and learning pirouetting circles, the heli wasn't locked in. This is where my frustration started in trying to tune it to be locked in during pirouetting maneuvers.

After uploading the file I already noticed it felt more locked in instantly. But after a couple flights I turned off the gov gain and tuned the heli via omers tuning procedure notes previous I could only get my head gain to around 38 before and now I got it up to 51. I also dropped my Hiller decay from 145 to 115 and now my 380 is flying like a completly new model

If your hesitant to try these files I urge you to try it it takes less than 10 min so grab a beer and get to it, you'll be done before you crush the can lol. You can always revert back to your previous settings by simply uploading your saved file, so don't feel you'll have to commit
Old 06-21-2015, 11:53 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good to hear! Me and Alvin did some testing recently according to the same procedure and Alvin also feels the higher hiller is much better for the heli. He also told me he is going to try convincing Art it is needed to give the excess again to the hiller and damping, so I hope you all will be able to do it without the files.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:23 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Good to hear! Me and Alvin did some testing recently according to the same procedure and Alvin also feels the higher hiller is much better for the heli. He also told me he is going to try convincing Art it is needed to give the excess again to the hiller and damping, so I hope you all will be able to do it without the files.
Yes please! Just make it available in the "advanced mode" for those who want access to to it. This is a no brainer as there is almost zero difference between the advanced and basic setup modes since they dumbed everything down with the release of V4 software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in