Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Engines and Mufflers

Engines and Mufflers Having problems or need advice on Engines or Mufflers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2014, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Question YS 60sr on lower % nitro?

I know the 120 and 105 were designed to run 15-20% nitro but cant find any definite info on what the 60sr was designed for. Should I just run 30% like normal? Ive got a SAB-1 hatori for it.

And whats the general consensus on this engine now? I didnt have any luck with a ys56 in the past although it was my first engine and could very well have been me. Ive stuck to OS (55 and 50) since then and been very happy especially with the 50. Getting this engine for a real good deal though.
RCHO Flying Field, Knightdale NC
lazor 22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2014, 11:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have mixed results, Lincoln.

Early piston detonation. Then, after rebuild and finally getting it in tune, a wrist pin retainer when through the top and ruined the piston, head, ring and liner.

Just before that, on 30% Cool Power, Hatori SAB1, it was nothing short of stellar. Incredible torque and pitch holding. Flat out gets it. It has a seamless transition for flying all the moves, and incredible peak power. I was flying it with 13.5 pitch, and it just had crazy punch. In the light X50 airframe, it was a smack monster that gave my 6HVU a serious run for money.

Since the rebuild, I've been running my Redline 53 with an OS carb and now an OS Powerboost pipe (the one before they released the Powerboost II), and enjoying flying it too much to mess with the YS. It's very tempermental tuning. Before the wrist pin event, I had found a tiny metal shard in the diaphragm. I thought I'd found the "smoking gun".

I hope to pop it back in, eventually, but I'm getting a 700N sorted at the moment, and don't need any more challenges
Old 07-04-2014, 02:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I run my YS56R and OS 55HZ on 30% Nitro. And it probably was YOU!!- tuning is something that you WILL learn. Better to keep them rich and slightly lazy and you won't have issues. Start with the suggested carb settings and remember the cooler and nicer the weather the engine needs more fuel. Hot and muggy days you can go SLIGHTLY leaner.

I find it easier to tune the YS motors.30% Nitro with a LIGHT 23% synthetic lubricant. Coolpower, Torco and Powermaster all work well. I see they have some great deals on the YS60. Have fun with it.! Remember with regulated engines NEVER get any after run oil IN the carb or regulator. And feel the base of the motor after a flight-if you can't hold your finger on it because its too hot-its too lean.

With the YS carb first tune the idle mixture so it starts and idles nicely-most of the time the factory setting is too rich. After that go with the suggested settings and take the time to break the motor in. If you fly hard 3D and load the motor hard you absolutely NEED to recognize a lean condition.

In Finless Bob's section, he and Tim Jone's discussed tuning in depth. Check out the videos. It's not the Nitro per se that kills these motors. Its the LEAN mixture AND not recognizing it. Best of luck.

Arclight338 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in