Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Kontronik Drives

Kontronik Drives Jazz and Jive ESC's and other Kontronik equipment support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2014, 12:37 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
1. Set TC to 0-100% (Linear throttle curve in normal for mode programming)
2. Set endpoints to 100% (Default Throttle endpoints in TX/Leave them as is from the factory)
3. Plug in ESC to THROTTLE channel
4. Switch on TX and plug in ESC, get it to programming mode, varies on how between the different version, follow manual (With the Throttle/collective at low stick / Zero position Press the button on the Koby)
5. Program MODE1 as this will also teach the ESC the TX throttle range as well aas reset it. ( After the first beep raise the throttle/ high stick to program mode1)
6. Unplug/switch off. Go through same process (1-4 above) and now program MODE 4 if you want to use that mode for governor. ( Low stick, plug in packs,push button wait for four beeps raise stick mode 4 programmed)
7. Every other MODE you want can only be programmed one at a time and you have to go through 1-4 every time you want to program some other MODE. (I have added some more information to Vingers post, When programming remove the blades or back off the pinion for Safety! , For flight programming the TX Throttle curves make the normal Throttle curve 0,55,55,55,55 for example, Idle up 1 60% all flat ,Idle up 2 65% all flat. Do not exceed 65% for good governing!) Bench test and fly! Enjoy your new ESC!!
I'm not sure if this extra step is even needed or recommended.

In the Koby manual, part 7.1 says

In APM (mode 1) the ESC equalizes itself after every battery connection to the actual throttle control. To identify full gas position, please set the throttle to full gas for at least 1 second. Brake position is the throttle position at ESC connection.

I was a little unsure, and confused, that after your step 5, I reconnected the battery and gave it a full throttle for a second. Mind you, I removed the blades and backed off the pinion from the main gear. At full throttle, yep you guessed it, the motor just spun really really fast. Was I incorrect to have done this?
dgunawan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2014, 07:28 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Magneto, thanks for your help. so basically its almost like setting it up like the kosmik Mode 4..? correct.. But in the instructions it shows 80% throttle curve lets say for idle up1 example,. are you using 65% as an example? or are you referring to the 65% offset in TX for the flat line curve.. thanks Chris
Christo074 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

dgunawan go back to step 4 programming is done by raising the stick after pressing the button on the Koby to get into programming mode and mode tones.From what you are describing its sound like you are raising the throttle during the boot up tones, Christo yes the programming procedures are very much the same for the Kosmik and 80% is max in the Manuel I should have looked.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:13 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
dgunawan go back to step 4 programming is done by raising the stick after pressing the button on the Koby to get into programming mode and mode tones.From what you are describing its sound like you are raising the throttle during the boot up tones, Christo yes the programming procedures are very much the same for the Kosmik and 80% is max in the Manuel I should have looked.
Magneto, Thank you very much you've been most helpful.. I bought this koby in preparation for the up coming Goblin 380, that im excited about. Its kinda of a relief knowing that i could set it up like the kosmik, but the instructions are different and i think they make it complicated for nothing. Chris
Christo074 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2014, 01:17 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My Pleasure ! We are here to support!

Last edited by Magneto; 11-02-2014 at 02:24 PM..
Magneto is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2015, 02:24 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

hello guy's.. also a question about the koby 55

Manual:

n Heli-Mode the KOBY operates with active RPM control. This means, that the motor RPM will be kept constant. Changes in load and falling battery voltage will be compensated, as long as motor and battery capacity allow. It is not necessary to use a Tx mixer to stabilize RPM. RPM control works only, if the ESC is installed in the helicopter. Operation under no load may result in a jerking ESC.
Plug the KOBY receiver cable into a free slot of the Rx. E.g. by using a slider the Rx can be operated independently from the Tx. use the slider to program the KOBY to Heli-Mode.
The KOBY RPM control is adjusted automatically to the application during the first start of the motor after connecting the battery. It is recommended to set 0° pitch to ensure relatively constant RPM during each flight. To start the motor push the slider towards full throttle. The KOBY will smoothly increase the motor RPM in a few seconds. As soon as the designated RPM is reached the KOBY switches over to close loop speed. The closer the slider position is to full throttle, the higher is the designated motor RPM. KONTRONIK recommends setting minimum RPM at 80% of full PRM.

What i've done with the new Koby,

1. First go in program mode to mode one to reset the parameters.
2. Than activated Mode 4.
3. After that i've made 3 throttle values in my normal / idle 1 / idle 2 ( 65 / 70 / 75 )

When i connect the battery before each flight, do i need to set the slider to the full throttle position to get the most RPM during flight? .. and if i set the slider at half throttle during start-up, i got less rpm during flight?

The manual confuses me.

I'm used to start up the heli with disarming the throttle hold and have flat throttle curves 65 / 70 / 75 . And use - 12 / 0 / 12 degrees pitch.
i set the pitch around 0 degreets, cut of the throttle hold, and the machine spools up to 65 throttle, after that i go up in idle's during flying.
sven75 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2015, 03:27 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven75 View Post
hello guy's.. also a question about the koby 55

Manual:

n Heli-Mode the KOBY operates with active RPM control. This means, that the motor RPM will be kept constant. Changes in load and falling battery voltage will be compensated, as long as motor and battery capacity allow. It is not necessary to use a Tx mixer to stabilize RPM. RPM control works only, if the ESC is installed in the helicopter. Operation under no load may result in a jerking ESC.
Plug the KOBY receiver cable into a free slot of the Rx. E.g. by using a slider the Rx can be operated independently from the Tx. use the slider to program the KOBY to Heli-Mode.
The KOBY RPM control is adjusted automatically to the application during the first start of the motor after connecting the battery. It is recommended to set 0° pitch to ensure relatively constant RPM during each flight. To start the motor push the slider towards full throttle. The KOBY will smoothly increase the motor RPM in a few seconds. As soon as the designated RPM is reached the KOBY switches over to close loop speed. The closer the slider position is to full throttle, the higher is the designated motor RPM. KONTRONIK recommends setting minimum RPM at 80% of full PRM.

What i've done with the new Koby,

1. First go in program mode to mode one to reset the parameters.
2. Than activated Mode 4.
3. After that i've made 3 throttle values in my normal / idle 1 / idle 2 ( 65 / 70 / 75 )

When i connect the battery before each flight, do i need to set the slider to the full throttle position to get the most RPM during flight? .. and if i set the slider at half throttle during start-up, i got less rpm during flight?

The manual confuses me.

I'm used to start up the heli with disarming the throttle hold and have flat throttle curves 65 / 70 / 75 . And use - 12 / 0 / 12 degrees pitch.
i set the pitch around 0 degreets, cut of the throttle hold, and the machine spools up to 65 throttle, after that i go up in idle's during flying.
You have the correct procedure. It just has to work out the load from the blades at zero pitch at any pwm value and then it sets its rpm table. I would however change your veering if you are having to use 70 and 75 to get your desired rpm. The koby is like the jive in the fact that much above 65% and you are hurting governor performance. 60-65% is ideal.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:31 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Alright, thanks voor the explanation.

hope i'll get enough headspeed with my warp when i'm running at 65.

let's see today
Old 04-03-2015, 07:44 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven75 View Post
Alright, thanks voor the explanation.

hope i'll get enough headspeed with my warp when i'm running at 65.

let's see today
if not go up on the pinion. but the stock one should get you the stock designed head speed with 60-65% on the Koby
Old 04-04-2015, 02:41 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

yep, the machine was fine. 65 was plenty of headspeed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in