Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 01:13 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,
Here is a photo of an actual beta system to show the relative small size of the new CoPilot-II system components:

The components are:
IRNet Programmer - top
IRNet Router - center
CPII Computer Module - left
CPII Vertical Sensor - lower left
CPII Main Sensor - lower right
Howard Matos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2009, 01:14 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonewbie View Post
are there any altitude limitations on this ?? and will there be a gyro controled unit??
Hi,

There is no limit.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:36 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramsdell View Post
Hi Howard ! Think I met you at NEAT. Set me up with a new fan for my BalancePro HD. Working great. Could you help us all a little with the new unit here? There is a Z axis and it recalibrates what?? the ground and sky temp differential? Is this unit going to be able to differentiate between snow and cold sky? I have the AP2000i and that is my peeve....... If it can fly in the winter over snow reliably that would be great! How about sun low on the horizon? Another of the " Other one's" problem areas.
Late afternoon it wants to fly EAST !

Al Ramsdell
Hi,

Glad the fan worked out for you. The Vertical Sensor will continually calibrate the CoPilot-II at a rate of 50 times a second, this optimizes the performance of the system. It will also only allow the CoPilot to roll out from inverted flight. There is no problem flying over snow, cold sky, or low sun on the horizon. You don't want to fly in clouds as this will turn off the stabilization.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:38 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Hi Howard,
Do you have a release date. I was looking for another AP2000i but would consider a FMA Co-pilot 2 if they will be out soon as the AP2000i's are not in stock.
Hi,

We have a tentative release date of mid March. As with all new product releases, this is just an estimate.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:07 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,

Just a heads up that we will start taking orders for the new CoPilot II system next week, an email blast will go out with the announcement. Also included is the finalized pricing. Thanks.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:25 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Howard,
"You don't want to fly in clouds as this will turn off the stabilization."

What exactly does that mean? You can't fly on cloudy days OR don't fly into clouds?

What about flying close to trees or buildings. Will it push the heli away from such objects?
Old 02-05-2009, 07:10 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregwee View Post
Thanks for pointing that out... Missed it in the functions list.

However, I note that it still seems to be using an infra-red stabilizer, although it now has an "optional" vertical sensor... It would have been better if they offered an optional 3 way gyro stabilizer as that would be much better since you're not dependent on having clear horizons all around before you can use the system.
Greg,
Have you ever actually used an AP2000i? We have flown the heli within 30 feet of a 25 foot solid line of trees, and there was hardly any effect on the heli (just required a small amount of stick to compensate). By the time the heli is more than 50 feet away from the onstacle, you can hardly notice any effect at all.

The way some people talk, suggesting that the thing goes berserk if the horizon isn't ruler-flat for miles is just not true. The heli just subtly lets you know it doesn't want to get closer to the obstacle. If you do need to hover in that position, you can either recalibrate there, or make a few small trim adjustments if you don't want to use the sticks. No big deal, I assure you.....

If you are flying in an area with (say) a big mountain range on one side, just calibrate once above local close obstacles like buildings etc, and the AP2000i will work just fine. I suspect that just about the criticism of the AP2000i comes from people who own other systems.....
13m Spiderbeam mast, Askman mount, A640, all above with 2.4Ghz downlink
Tonystott is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2009, 09:54 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Deleted
Old 02-09-2009, 09:59 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by makiedog View Post
Howard,
"You don't want to fly in clouds as this will turn off the stabilization."

What exactly does that mean? You can't fly on cloudy days OR don't fly into clouds?

What about flying close to trees or buildings. Will it push the heli away from such objects?
Hi,

You cannot fly into clouds; flying on cloudy days is fine. There is no effect from trees; they are the same temperature as the ground. If the building were detected as a heat source, the CoPilot would shy away from the building.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:33 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can't wait for the pre orders to start, ill be one of the 1st on the list, well at least I hope to be!!!
1fastt2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2009, 11:27 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ordered mine at 6:30 this morning, im excited to get this thing, too bad I now have over a months wait.
1fastt2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 07:14 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,

The Co Pilot II user interface flowchart is now available at the following link:

http://www.fmadirect.com/other_technical.htm

Go to the link, then click on the document "Co Pilot II Flow Diagram"

Note, this is pre-production and the contents are subject to change prior to production or even during production. We'll try to keep the document at this link updated if changes are made.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:29 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Aeroplain application..???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Matos View Post
Hi,

I am here to represent FMA and would be pleased to assist you if you have any questions.
================================================== =
Hello Howard,

I am looking for stabilization device for my AP aeroplain.

Could you tell me if new FMA unit can work with aeroplains and what it can do to stabilize aeroplain for smooth gliding through the air?

I need to avoid rolling due to wind gusts and due to prop contr-reaction.

Can it help me?

Thank you,
Andrew.
akouzmit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 12:46 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by akouzmit View Post
================================================== =
Hello Howard,

I am looking for stabilization device for my AP aeroplain.

Could you tell me if new FMA unit can work with aeroplains and what it can do to stabilize aeroplain for smooth gliding through the air?

I need to avoid rolling due to wind gusts and due to prop contr-reaction.

Can it help me?

Thank you,
Andrew.
Hi,

The CoPilot II will control the aircrafts pitch and roll. You would be amazed at how stable it will make your aircraft in the windiest conditions. You will be able to fly when most guys are side lined because of excessive wind.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:09 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

OT
Howard,

Will a CPD4 work in a raptor 50 titan? Presently I have a dx7 xmitter and an ar7000 receiver. What else do I need to make this work? Is there a diagram on how to connect these? Im just a newbie in rc heli and never flown any of my heli except the micro ones. Can I also use this in a blade 400 or belt cp? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Black Sparrow; 02-18-2009 at 03:15 AM..
Black Sparrow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 11:43 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Will these units work in tandem with a flybarless system?
MX304 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 01:12 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sparrow View Post
OT
Howard,

Will a CPD4 work in a raptor 50 titan? Presently I have a dx7 xmitter and an ar7000 receiver. What else do I need to make this work? Is there a diagram on how to connect these? Im just a newbie in rc heli and never flown any of my heli except the micro ones. Can I also use this in a blade 400 or belt cp? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,

The only restriction the CPD4 has is it is not compatible with CCPM mixing and digital servos. I have one installed on a standard Raptor 50, works great! Here is a link to the manual: http://www.fmadirect.com/support_docs/item_1049.pdf Again, the CPD4 would not work with a CCPM system. Our new CoPilot II is fully compatible with any systems. Here is a link to the thread and some photos showing installation on my test heli: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=115919&page=2
Old 02-18-2009, 06:23 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Howard,

So I can use a cpd4 in a raptor 50 titan, but I have digital servos attached to my raptor (it comes with my spectrum dx7 rx/tx). Do I need something else so it could work with my present setup like the 505SB or the 605SB? How many of these do I need? . I'm still trying to learn about rc heli yet. Thanks.

"To EaCh HiS oWn"
Old 02-18-2009, 10:00 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Im not taking any chances on my helis, I've just ordered the new FMA CPII-c3 from fmadirect.com. I hope it will come soon so I can practice flying with my heli and not on the sim. So, Howard, any news about releasing the CPII early? I hope it works on my raptor 50 with its present set-up? I cant wait...

"To EaCh HiS oWn"
Old 02-19-2009, 09:09 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sparrow View Post
Howard,

So I can use a cpd4 in a raptor 50 titan, but I have digital servos attached to my raptor (it comes with my spectrum dx7 rx/tx). Do I need something else so it could work with my present setup like the 505SB or the 605SB? How many of these do I need? . I'm still trying to learn about rc heli yet. Thanks.
Hi,

You would have to change your swash plate servos to analog, something like a Futaba 9202 or JR 4131. The servo buffer is used when you have a PCM receiver.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in