Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > Belt CP

Belt CP E-Sky Belt CP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2009, 06:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Lightbulb 12T vs. 13T pinion on Sonix/HDX 3550 motor

Hey guys,

I'd like to post a review of an experiment I did today. I know some of you have been wondering about which pinion to use with the Sonix/HDX 3550 motor. Till now I've been using a 13T pinion on my all aluminum EXI.

This afternoon after running a few packs of good stunt flying (flips, rolls, inverted punchouts and inverted hovers ) I decided to put a 12T Rhino pinion and see what the difference would be. In theory the flight time should increase a bit, and the response should drop a bit due to about a 200-300 RPM drop in head speed. (3179 with 13T and 2935 with 12T) To offset the lower headspeed, I increased my throttle curve from 80% mid stick to 85%.

1) At first I flew figure 8's and a few stall turns. The bird seemed a bit more tame.
2) I did a few punchouts, and observed a noticable slowdown in the climb rate
3) Lastly I did some flips, inverted hovers, and upside down punchout, and the helis was more sluggish, and really seemed to struggle to gain altitude while inverted. Motor boggung was noticable
4) I finished up with some tame sport flying in normal mode to see how long the 2200 lipo lasts. It lasted 6:30, which is exactly the same flight time I can expect with a 13T pinion. Double

Conclusions? On the EXI (or a Trex) there are no advantage of using a 12T pinion with the 3550 motor.
I can see the 12T being appropriate on the Belt CP, since it has less teeth in the main gear, and it seems to require less head speed.
1) Esky Belt CP, Telebee Head Lock Gyro, Dynam 30A ESC, TowerPro SG-90 servos, B400 Main Gear, DX6i Radio. 2) EXI 450MA, Tower Pro servos, Logictech gyro, ExceedRC Volcano 30A ESC, HDX 3550 motor, DX6i . 3) Gaui 200 V1, Spectrum cyclic servos, Logictech gyro/servo
MarcinCP is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2009, 12:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Wouldn't argue with that. One comment I would add is that the plastic frame of the BeltCP is not good at handling the extra stresses of higher head speed. In fact mine ripped itself into two!!
Most on here would concur that 3000rpm is a pretty good compromise head speed for this size of copter, however you achieve it.

Skip
Futaba 14SG,
helihathnofury is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2009, 01:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ive been running the HDX3550/13t on my Belt for a while now and have a HS of 3300 I want to get a 12t to see for myself how it does in hopes of better flight times.(5.5 minutes currently) On the other hand I still need to get lipos for the belt since I turned all 4 into 2 packs for the 500. So the ol' belt will be sitting around in the hanger for a while.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That's low Chad. I am at 3100 average and get about 7 to 8 mins from a 2250 to 2450mAh LiPo, with the T-Rex gearing setup.

Skip
Futaba 14SG,
helihathnofury is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2009, 01:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think most of the problem is big pinion and small MG I'm betting if I dropped my throttle curves I'd get much better flight times. On the 500 I'm running a 20t pinion on a 94t MG but my throttle curves max out at 75% giving me a HS of 2710 and getting 6 minutes of flight. I'm wondering if I dropped my max throttle to 90% on the belt it would give me a HS of 2970 and I'm betting it would give me a whole extra minute of flight. I'll have to test my theory when I get more lipos and I'll also pick up a 12t pinion and see which is better. It'll be a while since I'm dead broke now but work is starting to roll in but rent is coming up too.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Hey Chad, 5 min is really low. I think switching to a 12T pinion on the Belt would make sense. You won't even notice any difference flying in your living room, and you may gain some flight time
1) Esky Belt CP, Telebee Head Lock Gyro, Dynam 30A ESC, TowerPro SG-90 servos, B400 Main Gear, DX6i Radio. 2) EXI 450MA, Tower Pro servos, Logictech gyro, ExceedRC Volcano 30A ESC, HDX 3550 motor, DX6i . 3) Gaui 200 V1, Spectrum cyclic servos, Logictech gyro/servo
MarcinCP is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in