Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 300X

300X Blade 300X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2014, 11:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default About to upgrade...couple part questions

Gents,

After a minor mishap today, I have the perfect excuse to add a few upgrades. I already have (new and in the box) the Lynx carbon body frame, Lynx slant gear pinion, Lynx slant main gear and Scorpion 2213-14 motor.

I already have these upgrades on the heli: Lynx frame brace, Lynx rotor head block with ultra dampeners, KST 215 tail servo, CC-35 ESC and CC10 BEC. I am running Hyperion 3S-1600 batteries. Tail is stock but with (I think KBDD) plastic blades. (Now broken) all black carbon fiber blades that had a foam interior). Everything else is stock.

Questions:
1) What blades? I would like to stay with carbon fiber, but the "cheap X2 clones" seem to be no more. I may get some of the new Zeal blades if I can find any in stock.

2)I have a set of Align 410MG servos in great condition. Would you use these or stick with the stock DS-76. I am running at 6V and have had no issues with the stock servos so far, though I haven't checked them after the mishap this morning.

For reference, I rarely crash (this is really my first one) and I am capable of most basic aerobatics. I am using this heli to work on more advanced 3D stuff before trying it on larger, more expensive helis, so I am looking for as much precision as I can reasonably get in this size.

Thanks!

D.W.
DWSchmidt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2014, 01:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWSchmidt View Post
Gents,

After a minor mishap today, I have the perfect excuse to add a few upgrades. I already have (new and in the box) the Lynx carbon body frame, Lynx slant gear pinion, Lynx slant main gear and Scorpion 2213-14 motor.

I already have these upgrades on the heli: Lynx frame brace, Lynx rotor head block with ultra dampeners, KST 215 tail servo, CC-35 ESC and CC10 BEC. I am running Hyperion 3S-1600 batteries. Tail is stock but with (I think KBDD) plastic blades. (Now broken) all black carbon fiber blades that had a foam interior). Everything else is stock.
If, by CC-35, you mean Castle Talon 35, you can go ahead and ditch the CC10 BEC. It's dead weight on this little bird, and the Talon 35 has a fantastic built in BEC that is more than adequate for these little 250 sized birds. I'm using a Talon 35 in a 4S configuration on one of my 300Xs (I have four 300Xs in various configurations).

Quote:
1) What blades? I would like to stay with carbon fiber, but the "cheap X2 clones" seem to be no more. I may get some of the new Zeal blades if I can find any in stock.
Below is a link to the Gaui X2 clone blades that I've been recommending to everyone:

$9.31 - Gaui X2 Clone Blades

Just keep in mind that shipping from China usually takes 2-3 weeks, so don't expect them anytime soon. Gaui X2 blades are my blades of choice on a non-stretched 300X.

Quote:
2)I have a set of Align 410MG servos in great condition. Would you use these or stick with the stock DS-76. I am running at 6V and have had no issues with the stock servos so far, though I haven't checked them after the mishap this morning.
When you switch over to your Lynx frame, definitely go with the Align servos. Even though there's better servos out there, the Aligns are way more reliable than the DS76s. Since you already have the Align servos, I definitely would advise you use them. When it comes to 300X/CFX servos, I personally recommend the TGY-211DMH servos from HobbyKing (they're clones of the equivilent Blue Bird servos). I have a 300X with almost 500 flights using TGY-211 for the cyclics and a TGY-212 for the tail. I have another 300X with 50 flights on the TGY-211 cyclics and a KST215 tail servo (a fantastic servo - you made a good buy).

Uriah is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2014, 02:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Uriah!!!

I'll go ahead and use the align 410s. I'm actually amazed at how quickly this frame is going together. Of course it is my 5th heli, so I'm probably just getting better at doing it.

The CC35 I have it about 10 years old and has been sitting in my parts drawer for awhile. It works perfectly and the governor seems pretty good since I upgraded it to the latest firmware. Since it isn't the Talon, I don't trust the BEC in it on a heli of this size and power. The CC10 BEC and CC-35 (even with the extra wires) still weigh less than the ESC that came with the heli and they have worked fine so far.

I'll probably go ahead and get a set of blades from Helidirect now so I can get back to flying and perhaps order a couple sets of the cheaper ones from China for backup. The ones in that link look exactly like what came with my bird ( I bought it used).

D.W.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like a plan! I wasn't sure what ESC you were using, which is why I put my conditional statement on there. I can't vouch for your BEC on your ESC, and it definitely isn't going to hurt to play it safe. Regarding your blades, if you have the moola, go ahead and order several pairs of those X2 clone blades, and then if you want to get flying soon consider a cheap pair of Lynx plastics or whatever you can find on HeliDirect or Amain to get you by until your X2 clones arrive from China.

You'll love that Lynx frame, by the way. The only major downside of the Lynx frame is it doesn't work very well with most of the fiberglass canopies out there (bad fit), but I use stock plastic canopies to save weight. The one 300X I told you about that has almost 500 flights on it has been using the Lynx frame; I've planted it pretty hard several times, and the frame has yet to receive any damage. In fact, 10 minutes ago I finished repairing this particular 300X because I crashed it at a fun fly this past Saturday - the Lynx frame didn't have a scratch on it.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
When you switch over to your Lynx frame, definitely go with the Align servos. Even though there's better servos out there, the Aligns are way more reliable than the DS76s. Since you already have the Align servos, I definitely would advise you use them. When it comes to 300X/CFX servos, I personally recommend the TGY-211DMH servos from HobbyKing (they're clones of the equivilent Blue Bird servos). I have a 300X with almost 500 flights using TGY-211 for the cyclics and a TGY-212 for the tail. I have another 300X with 50 flights on the TGY-211 cyclics and a KST215 tail servo (a fantastic servo - you made a good buy).
Good info, Thanks Uriah
Murph_d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2014, 06:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
The only major downside of the Lynx frame is it doesn't work very well with most of the fiberglass canopies out there (bad fit), but I use stock plastic canopies to save weight. The one 300X I told you about that has almost 500 flights on it has been using the Lynx frame; I've planted it pretty hard several times, and the frame has yet to receive any damage. In fact, 10 minutes ago I finished repairing this particular 300X because I crashed it at a fun fly this past Saturday - the Lynx frame didn't have a scratch on it.

When you say doesn't fit well - in what way? Is it not wide enough? Too short? Doesn't clear the motor?

I was actually thinkingof getting one of the upgrade ones, probably from canamod or fusuno. Can they be made to fit with a little trimming? Most importantly, are any of them longer in the nose than the stock one? Since l'm using longer than normal packs, I'd like to have one that would fit tightly in the front gear mount but be long enough to clear the battery wires a little better. Changing canopy mount hold it easy, but if I move it too far forward it won't engage very well in the front gear mount.

Thanks!

D.W.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Lynx Protos style canopies don't like the Lynx frame with big motors. They will fit if you move the grommet holes or cut out a small section at the bottom - but they may still rub the motor. The Lynx STD profile canopies fit a little better but may still rub against larger motors, and you may find the fit to be very tight unless you move the grommet holes. I've heard that the Fusuno canopies fit a little better, but are still very tight. I recommend the plastic canopies if you're after performance. The plastic ones are a lot lighter, and when reinforced with Shoo Glue, are quite durable. I use metal mounting grommets on the plastic canopies so they don't crack from repeated use.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Uriah,

Makes perfect sense, thanks!

When you say shoo goo; do you just rub it all around the inside or just in key areas.

Thanks!

D.W.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in