Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > CJY Total-G FBL System

CJY Total-G FBL System Curtis Youngblood Total-G FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 10:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default power set-ups

I would be very grateful if some of you could educate me on how you are supplying power to your Total G without an independent rx. I will just be using the satellites. I plan to run JR 8717s on 8V and of course the tail servo on 5V. Any photos you have of your set-ups would be very helpful. I am surprised the unit does not have a built in regulator similar to the Spectrum ar7100R. any comments on why this is not the case?
CRITEX is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2010, 10:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

You run you power in the BAT/BIND port when normaly powered up. To bind the unit you can plug power into any of the regular servo ports, or you can plug power into the same place you plug the programing cable into. Be sure the black wire (ground) is in the pin closest to the front end of the Total-G to power it that way.

The reason there is not a built in regulator is where servos are headed in the future. At this point there are already tail servos that can run on 8 volts. And we expect this trend to continue. If that indeed is the case, without a regualtor at all, your radio gear will be even simpler, with one fewer failure point. For the time being we are running our regualted tail servos through a Spektrum regulator, and everythign else is running straight voltage from a 7.4 volt 2s lipo with no switch. I hope this makes sense. If not let me know, and I will take a quick shot of Curtis's setup.

Brian
Buzzin Brian is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2010, 11:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

So basically we are using unregulated lipo power for everything but the tail servo correct
Old 08-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

In the end that is up to you. But yes, we are running everything un-regulated with the exception of the tail servo. Here is a shot I just took of Curtis's machine. I hope this helps some.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Curtis power system.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	177009  
Old 08-30-2010, 01:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Brian, That clears it up for me. If I have any questions when I am hooking it all up I may pm you if you don't mind but it looks pretty straight forward.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

I am always here to help with whatever you need. Always feel free to ask.

Brian
Old 09-08-2010, 02:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Not sure if you've seen one of these but this is what I use. Works absolutely flawless and is really light and compact. I like the fail safe ON portion of if. I also added a Gryphon remote switch to make it a little more convenient. http://www.helidirect.com/perfect-re...or-p-19650.hdx

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRITEX View Post
I would be very grateful if some of you could educate me on how you are supplying power to your Total G without an independent rx. I will just be using the satellites. I plan to run JR 8717s on 8V and of course the tail servo on 5V. Any photos you have of your set-ups would be very helpful. I am surprised the unit does not have a built in regulator similar to the Spectrum ar7100R. any comments on why this is not the case?
nwmtech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2010, 06:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, so maybe I'm crazy, or just stupid, but....

I've been running the JR 8900G tail servo (6V) for a while now with the AR 7100R reciever before getting the Total G. In that respect, I don't own a regulator or a 8V Tail servo, so I was thinking.....

I'd use a 8717 on the tail for a minute, just to test out the Total G and see if I like it, then get either a 8V tail servo, or a regulator...

Two questions.....

1. Am I crazy for trying a 8717 on the tail?
2. Who's making the 8V tail servos?

Thanks in advance,

Victor
Victor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yea, you are crazy.
Felt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2010, 11:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i ordered an Outrage Torq tail servo for my total-g 700 just so i can ditch the spektrum regulator that i'm running. they're rated for 8V.

as for power setup....i'm running a TP 3600 rx pack connected to the 3 wire JR switch. I have a Y-harness on the switch power lead, 1 plugged into the Pwr port and the other plugged into one of the programming ports for power redundancy to the power bus.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Why not use a step down?
Felt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2010, 09:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It won't be fair to judge the TotalG tail with that servo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
Ok, so maybe I'm crazy, or just stupid, but....

I've been running the JR 8900G tail servo (6V) for a while now with the AR 7100R reciever before getting the Total G. In that respect, I don't own a regulator or a 8V Tail servo, so I was thinking.....

I'd use a 8717 on the tail for a minute, just to test out the Total G and see if I like it, then get either a 8V tail servo, or a regulator...

Two questions.....

1. Am I crazy for trying a 8717 on the tail?
2. Who's making the 8V tail servos?

Thanks in advance,

Victor
nwmtech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2010, 09:54 AM   #13 (permalink)

The 8717 will not make a good tail servo. There is a lot more to a true tail servo than speed and or torque specs. The 8717 would likely not function well at all in that application.

Brian
Old 09-10-2010, 10:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Outrage Torq has an 8v I believe it is the 9088 tail servo, also I think the other major servo companies are coming out with them or they have already been released overseas.
blt4ice is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

This is what we have heard as well, which is why there is no internal voltage regulator in the Total-G.

Brian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in