Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Airplanes Info and Support > Airplane Related

Airplane Related R/C Airplanes Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Heli Engine in airplane?

Any reason this would not work?
I just built up a Thunder Tiger X50, and ordered an RL56 from Tower, but then decided to get a YS56 for the X50. I have not yet sent the RL56 back, and I am curious to see if there are any issues with putting it into an airplane. I can't see any real problems, as I assume the head should be able to cool properly since it is exposed, and it should be more than ample power.

I am tempted to so the way of SkunkWorks, and build one up from nothing....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

does it have the necessary thrust bearing surfaces on the crank? heli engines experience negligble axial thrust, plane engines take the entire motive force as a thrust on the crank thrust surfaces, I've no idea if they design them differently or not but it's a potential failure
Kington99 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't think you will be happy with it as the carbs are made to do different things the way they run.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Engines designed to be in helis differ quite a bit from plank engines:

Heli engines are ran in environments where cooling is less adequate than an airplane application. Because of this, heli engines are designed to run rich on higher nitro/oil content fuels to help cool the engine, thus ensuring the motor stays running. Airplane engines are designed to run leaner and with fuel that's lower in nitro/oil content as the engine can rely more on convection cooling.

The other big difference is in the carb design:

Carbs designed for heli applications are design to specifically run efficiently at constant mid to high throttle settings...by design, they aren't as efficient at constantly changing from low-mid-high positions, such as you typically find in airplane applications.
Outrage Velocity 50N2 FBL, OS 55HZ, Beast X
memosteve is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

the only real problem i would think could be an issue is the load on the bearings, i thought the prop shafts were slightly difrent on helis, heli engines are much like nitro car engines, the bearings arnt really designed for load on the prop shaft, or in the heli or car's case the crankshaft,

typicaly i cant see why it wouldent allow pull from a prop, but could, experience premeture failure in the bearings,

if these could be swaped out from an ic plane engine then i think it would fair better,

the other potential problem would be deadsticks at low rpm, heli engines run at faster rpm, as we know the prop will reduce rpm and increase load, there may be issues with over proping, tuning might be a issue, and could lead to deadsticks in idle,

i think the rpm in idle on a heli is far greater than on a plane,

i think there may be some challenges, certainly do-able but could prove a headache
puggster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I know two friends who used OS 50 Hypers in planks and flew the hell out of them! Both flew great.

No reason at all you cant use one
Old 03-21-2012, 04:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

There are few issues to deal with.

1) The large finned head can mean over cooling on a plank.

2) No prop driver and typically a short crank nose.

Solve those and have fun.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I know it's been done enough that if you can fit it in and secure the prop it will fly. The only thing I'd look at is prop size.

Airplane engines run at a lower RPM than the Heli engines do. So, you'll be responsible for finding a prop that will work that engine RPM range. For example. My OS 91FX runs between 7500K and 10K. According to OS, I need to run this engine in the 10K range for optimum power. On a 90 heli engine I think that engine RPM is closer to 15,500. You can see that that RPM difference of 5K is significant.

what would be cool is if you could gear it down a bit.
X-cell Fury 90: 601/9251, 8231's Cyc; DS650; OS 91MP-6; Jr Vibe 90; OS 91RJX Pipe; Jr 8231 cyclic, 770 3D/G8900, Prfct Reg. CCPM; T-Rex 600 NP: 6965HB, 425MG Throttle GY 520/9254; OS50 Hyper,MP-5, Prfct Reg; 600E Bstx, nue1910
seanh is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in