Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Night Flying

Night Flying Night Flying Helis Info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Leds and 4s question

I'm planning to doing a night fly setup on my f330 with naza. The problem I'm running into is I would like to run led strips. They all seem to run at 12v. I was hoping you guys might have some ideas on stepping down voltage to proper amounts. My setup is to be permanent. So I would like to find a good, safe and reliable. I've heard of using my balance leads of the pack but that doesn't sound very healthy to my packs and not as clean of a system as I would like.

Any suggestions you might have are more than welcome.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

So far in my searches I've come acrossed people using a small brushed esc to power there lights. Can someone point me in the direction of this? I would like to learn more about this.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You could use the balance tap. Get a typical balance converter from whatever your batts are to anything and just make your lighting connection from ground to the third hot wire and that'll give you 11.1 volts.

If you have different balance taps on different batts just make up a few with small JST connectors to your lighting system.

It'd be cheaper and a lot less weight than a CC BEC.

The only concern might be that your lighting system would only be pulling out of three of the four cells which on a long flight could cause balance issues depending on how much lighting you plan on using. They draw so little I really don't see it as a problem..

Have you run your 330 on a 3 cell? I ask because I have the 450 on order and am wondering what the performance to added weight differential would be. And because I have a butt load of 450 3 cell 2200 / 65C batts already..
I plan on lighting mine also.. Post some pics of your 330. Are you running the Naza or the Wii board? I chose Naza..

Good luck..
Old 03-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockJ View Post
You could use the balance tap. Get a typical balance converter from whatever your batts are to anything and just make your lighting connection from ground to the third hot wire and that'll give you 11.1 volts.

If you have different balance taps on different batts just make up a few with small JST connectors to your lighting system.

It'd be cheaper and a lot less weight than a CC BEC.

The only concern might be that your lighting system would only be pulling out of three of the four cells which on a long flight could cause balance issues depending on how much lighting you plan on using. They draw so little I really don't see it as a problem..

Have you run your 330 on a 3 cell? I ask because I have the 450 on order and am wondering what the performance to added weight differential would be. And because I have a butt load of 450 3 cell 2200 / 65C batts already..
I plan on lighting mine also.. Post some pics of your 330. Are you running the Naza or the Wii board? I chose Naza..

Good luck..
No I haven't tried 3s with it. I haven't even gotten my 4s batteries yet. The imbalance issue is what I'm worried about. Pops came up with the right resistor to drop my voltage to 12. I'm gonna try that. I went with naza also. I'm still waiting on batteries so I won't be able to test and maiden. Here's where she's at right now. I'm just testing my lights with a 9v battery.

This is just before naza arrived. Could help but to at least mock her up

This is testing the lights with a nine volt. Just making sure I wired everyhing correctly. There is also two small strips of white on the bottom. I will probably down size the amount of lighting once they start failing.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Looks great.. It'll look freaky in the sky....

Thanks for the pics.. Should have mine before the weekend.. "Empire RC"

Worse case you could always run the lights with the 9v battery..
Old 03-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockJ View Post
Looks great.. It'll look freaky in the sky....

Thanks for the pics.. Should have mine before the weekend.. "Empire RC"

Worse case you could always run the lights with the 9v battery..
Thanks, I have gotten a few replies on another post about a couple of guys just using them on a 4s system directly and not having any issues. If that doesn't work I have over half of the led strips left to try something else. Good luck with your maiden. I hope to have mine in the air by sat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in