Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 425

Hurricane 425 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 425

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 02:34 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wood blades are not recommended for head speeds over 2000rpm. You can reduce your head speed some with the throttle curve for learning to hover, but you should not go lower than 80% as brushless motors are more efficient at higher speeds.

I don't need the latest and greatest. I just need more time to fly what I have.
Align 450 Sport V2, Gaui 200, Gaui 425 x 2, "HeadHunter 500, Gaui 550, all Flybar'd

Jerrymac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2011, 07:19 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indychus View Post
Also, regarding headspeed, is it possible (or practical) to gear it for 2600 or so, but use the governer on my esc to limit it to 2200-2300 for hover practice and longer flights, then bump it back up to ~2600 when I'm more confident? From the videos I've seen, I know I need a pretty high headspeed to get the performance I want, but not sure how that affects my maiden flight and hover training.

I'm just worried I'm building a flying man-eating blender haha. I want it as tame as possible starting out, but have the power punch I want later- without changing many components if possible.
Don't gear your 425 down as low as 2200 - 2300, it's too low and will make your heli fly badly. If you want more flight time then buy more batteries - comprimising how it flies is not the answer unfortunately
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2011, 10:02 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I just started putting it together last night. Got the tail boom on, and slid the canopy over the frame just to give me a rough idea what it's going to look like.

It's MUCH larger than I was anticipating. Just watching videos and looking at pics does not accurately portray how big a 500 class is. So glad I went with this over a 450 sized heli as I initially planned. Can't wait to get it done, although it will be a long time before I find the confidence to try to fly it!
Old 03-17-2011, 11:19 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It's a tough hurtle to get over, even transitioning from the Blade SR like I did. You just have to keep in mind that the Gaui will respond to very, very small stick movements, especially compared to the 120 SR where you have to bang it 1/4 stick to move anything. I suggest 25% - 30% cyclic expo just to help you prevent over-correction until you're comfortable. And, like all helis, you HAVE to get it off the ground and at least eye-level to practice your hovering. Just do that a bunch of times and, after you get over the adrenaline shakes, you'll find yourself wanting to do a little bit more each time. Don't push yourself. Expect to spend the first several batteries just popping into a hover for a several seconds then landing. You'll quickly begin to love the stability and precision response of your new bird.
Dracx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 07:24 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for all of the advice and encouragenment. Got it all together last night. Very impressed with the quality of everything. I don't see how they can sell these for 80 bucks!

Still have to pull the head apart and loctite everything. Servos should be here soon so I can start adjusting linkages. Trying my hand at this two-piece canopy as well, it's in the paint booth this morning.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:31 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm new to the Gaui forum and still a noob of sorts to heli flying. I can fly my MSR around with no problems, do pretty good with my Honeybee FP and have been working on flying mw CopterX 450 now. I just picked up the Gaui 425 Basic (plastic) kit and will be doing a slow build (months). Being 63+ now I have absolutely no desire for 3D or even FFF. I like slow flying and scale stuff.

My question for you veteran Gaui pilots is what motor/gearing and head speed should I look for? I already have a number of 3S 2200 batteries for my 450.

Thanks.
Schumiwdc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2011, 08:18 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Even if you never intend any 3D flying, higher headspeeds = higher response. Set too slow and it may be too sluggish to fly easily. I suggest you try different head speeds to see what feels best to you, but I would recommend 2400 - 2600.
Dracx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the reply Dracx. It'll be awhile before I actually need to gear and confirm my headspeed, but I'll use your recommendation.
Schumiwdc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 12:28 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Back from the dead!

Two questions:

So I went with a 1500kv motor, 15t pinion, and stock gearing. I calculated almost exactly 2800 rpm headspeed at 90%. I want it to feel very peppy, but is this too high? Should I get a 14t pinion as well? That should be around 2615 rpm or so... Are my calculations here making sense?

Second, I'm getting pretty close to having the electronics done, can I spool this up without blades on it? I have blades, but I'd feel safer spinning it up without them first.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:33 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Trex 600 ESP, Gaui 425
edhall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2011, 08:52 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indychus View Post
Back from the dead!

Two questions:

So I went with a 1500kv motor, 15t pinion, and stock gearing. I calculated almost exactly 2800 rpm headspeed at 90%. I want it to feel very peppy, but is this too high? Should I get a 14t pinion as well? That should be around 2615 rpm or so... Are my calculations here making sense?

Second, I'm getting pretty close to having the electronics done, can I spool this up without blades on it? I have blades, but I'd feel safer spinning it up without them first.
Bump! Anybody out there?
Old 08-27-2011, 05:11 PM   #32 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Hey Ya !
We are here!
2800 sounds kinda scary...what CF blades you going to use?
IMO would start out slower, like in the 2200-2400 range with good blades...once you get past the "Big Bird" jitters...."Walk a bit " with wood blades untill you get a feel of what it will...and Won't do in the air.
PT
Old 08-27-2011, 05:16 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

It will fly great at that head speed but will be a little tough on batteries as far as flight times go.
I run a Z20-1470kv motor with 15-50-20-61 gearing which is about the same head speed. It has awesome power and flys great, but only get 4:00 flights with 6s 2500mah batteries.
As for spooling it up without blades, it is not something that I normally do unless looking for a vibration from a bent part, but you can do it, just don't get too carried away on the throttle stick.

I don't need the latest and greatest. I just need more time to fly what I have.
Align 450 Sport V2, Gaui 200, Gaui 425 x 2, "HeadHunter 500, Gaui 550, all Flybar'd

Jerrymac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2011, 05:34 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, thanks for the help... just ordered a 13t and 14t pinion as well, doesn't hurt to have too many options I guess.

I already have several pairs of CF blades, albeit cheap ones. No plans to run wood.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:36 PM   #35 (permalink)
HF MR Support

+100 on what Jerry said...I like to fly a little longer than 4:00 minutes so I keep my HS low(er) and stretch out stick time on my 2200's, 2650's and 3000mah 6s batts...
PT
Old 08-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #36 (permalink)
HF MR Support

...Don't rule out the woodies completly...they fly well and are cheap !
PT
Old 08-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks again guys, one of these days I'll actually get this thing in the air.

I first saw an r/c heli when I was 8-9 years old, and have wanted one ever since. Going on 30 now, so it's about damn time haha. Hopefully with some patience and your invaluable help it will be as rewarding an experience as I have imagined it.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:28 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Get your maiden in and you'll love it! It is a wonderful machine and built like a tank. Get all your settings and movement right, set gyro, then a little expo and toss her up! I have the 1400 kv and 13t going to change to the 14.
Once you get her up ,you won't get enough!
Enjoy!
crickr1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2011, 09:09 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

As someone who just jumped that "big bird" hurdle last night, i have to agree with everyone. the gaui will open your eyes to the wonderful world of rc heli. had a crappy belt cp about a year or so ago, and that was a nightmare. almost ruined me for life on rc heli's but after i got the gaui in the year , my first thought was "ahhhhh, so this is how a quality helicopter should fly. Oh and i run stock gearing with a 14t pinion on a 1500kv motor. intimitading as hell the first time you spool it up. I may be a newb, but i will throw my two cents in. balance those blades dynamically, and statically. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in