Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > Quick World Wide

Quick World Wide QWW Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2008, 09:47 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well I've got the heli apart and noticed a few things that are going to have to be customized. The main gear that I bought from Erwin was the $12 standard replacement. He had a custom machine cut one for in the $30 some odd dollar range. I figured the standard ought to work and wasn't quite willing to shell out over 30 bucks for a main gear. It wouldn't fit over the one way hub at all. So I chucked it up on the lathe to find out it was 30 some thousandths out of round (the center hole). So I turned it true (on the lathe)with some shaving and got a nice snug fit. He also sold me a carborator collar intake coupling that looks just like the Z-RC unit with teflon gaskets (Who had that design first? And who owns the patent?). There's a thrust bearing at the lower end of the main shaft that seems like a good idea. However the race ring that sits against the radial bearing sits against the radials inner race as well as the outer race. This means that the thrust bearings upper race will drag against the rotating inner race of the lower main bearing (the radial). So I put that on the lathe and turned a coupla thousandths off the upper outer surface of the thrust race so the inner race of the radial main bearing spins free. The clutch issue that seems to have caused the main gear teeth issue was a screw set in some kind of epoxy against the inside of the clutch shoes. Now I don't know if this is standard procedure for adding weight to the shoe to get it to expand at lower rpms or what. But one of the screws (that don't seem to be holding anything) was hitting the inside vent of the clutch bell. Wether or not this is a company thing or the guy that owned it before I bought it used . So I'm going to get a replacement altogether. Also the clutch bell is only held in position with the hex starter reciever. The starter shaft that holds the clutch bell will slide down till the bell sits on top of the clutch shoes if that hex socket comes loose. I've drilled and taped two more grub screw holes to secure the socket better. There needs to be a thin washer to separate the tail drive gear from the main gear as well. No mention of it in the manual. The manual mentions to check the clutch runnout but doesn't say anything about how or what to do about adjusting it . Maybe there's some ignorance on my part being new to fuel based clutches. I locktighted the front tail drive pully grub screw, but it has some play in it now. So I gotta pull that out and see if there's a flat spot, or make a small one (the shaft isn't that big) to get more authority on that grub screw. Probably have to red lock the whole pully and screw onto the shaft. I better take a closer look at the tail shaft just incase. Untill I get a new clutch it will sit at this stage. Ya know these parts look and seem to be made great. I just see alot of design details that need to be simplified and addressed. This heli could be a great heli otherwise. These details either are overlooked or simply shrugged at and blown off . I mean if you gotta fuss around to the point of needing shop machine equipment...WTF! I'll have it straightened out if it means that the design gets an overhaul to the point of non recognition He He...Latter folks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2008, 10:04 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Unfortunately Sonny, the problems you are having are typical of QWW machines in general - not just the gassers. You are very fortunate that you have the means to re-machine some of the parts, most people don't. I purchased a new QWW .46 pro carbon kit a few years back. It was a nightmare! It had a ton of missing parts. QWW did make good on the missing parts though, I will give them credit for that. My main gear was out of round also, but not as bad as yours. There were a host of other issues that took me quite a while to get straightened out. When I finally got it flying, I was less than impressed with it's performance. It was very stable, but felt heavy in the air - sluggish compared to the Raptor 30 I had at the time. I sold it on Ebay and took a major loss. I was just glad to see it gone. QWW machines have terrible resale value. They say their new machines are better, but I for one, will never give them another cent. Burn me once , shame on them. Burn me twice, shame on me! I'm sure with your ability and resources, you will do just fine - but the bottom line is you shouldn't have had to go through all of this just to get this heli right. Good luck Sonny
magxm15 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008, 09:21 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by magxm15 View Post
Unfortunately Sonny, the problems you are having are typical of QWW machines in general - not just the gassers. You are very fortunate that you have the means to re-machine some of the parts, most people don't. I purchased a new QWW .46 pro carbon kit a few years back. It was a nightmare! It had a ton of missing parts. QWW did make good on the missing parts though, I will give them credit for that. My main gear was out of round also, but not as bad as yours. There were a host of other issues that took me quite a while to get straightened out. When I finally got it flying, I was less than impressed with it's performance. It was very stable, but felt heavy in the air - sluggish compared to the Raptor 30 I had at the time. I sold it on Ebay and took a major loss. I was just glad to see it gone. QWW machines have terrible resale value. They say their new machines are better, but I for one, will never give them another cent. Burn me once , shame on them. Burn me twice, shame on me! I'm sure with your ability and resources, you will do just fine - but the bottom line is you shouldn't have had to go through all of this just to get this heli right. Good luck Sonny
Thanks there bro. Ya I've been tempted to just get a Bergen or MA airframe and move all the electrics and motor over. At a $1000 it's still a good deal if I do just that. I desided to give Erwin and his outfit a real ernest go. There's still some really nice aspects to this design. I can still just get another machine if need be. But I think I can fix most of this. Kind of an interesting challenge. Even If I put a new head from some other company on it. with some of these issues mentioned, the locktighted mixer levers and week phasing pins It's no wonder QWW has had flight failier issues at some of the flies in the past.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:38 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Any more news on the build?

Robert
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bobbyk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2008, 11:46 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lately I haven't done much with it. I've had most of the main shaft bearings, spacing between main gear and tail drive gear straightened out. I'm thinking about the Kasama head that was designed for the Raptor 90. There's an issue with the front tail drive pully that has to be straightened out. The gear under the pully is loose. I had it blue locktightened before the first hover. But I haven't taken the time to pull it apart and figure a way to improve anything with that. It's loose again. There's play in the tail pitch yoke that I don't like. The pins that hold the arms that extend to the slider bearing seem small for the kind of rpms it sees. there's too much side to side (latteral) play in those yoke links. I've got to get a better set of clutch shoes. Looks like they melted some lead or something to wait the shoes. I doubt the guy that sold it did that. he didn't have it for very long. I put a 600np rex together recently that's been taking up time. But I'll be getting back to it.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:57 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sonny, I'll be glad to help you with the QWW gasser if you need it. I have had one for over 2 years now with 75 hours on it. Honestly, I prefer the sport head over the pro version. I'm not a stick banging 3d guy, but I can do aeros and other basic stuff with it. My heli came out to just over 13lbs fully finished. I also have the metal tail box on mine and it has been bulletproof. I recently changed out my frames to the new V2 version because I just like the way everything is layed out. It's a little more compact than the old frames. I have never had any unusual or out of the ordinary failures with mine over the last 2 years and I'll try to help with any issues that you may run in to. I've owned 3 quicks over the last few years and didn't have any more problems with them than I ever had with JR, Hirobo...etc. The best thing that I have found with mine is that it doesn't wear parts out like the other makes of helis that I have owned.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in