Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Hitec Radios > Hitec Gyro/Servos

Hitec Gyro/Servos Hitec Gyro and Servo Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 11:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default HS-65HB vs. HS-65MG

I am about to buy new servos for my Blade 400. I hear a lot of folks saying that they are going to or already use the HS-65MG servos. However, if you read the specs, the 65HB looks better. Well, to me anyway. What would be the difference and is the 65MG really better?
Flying wise, I don't really try any 3D stuff. Mostly FF, FFF, or just general horsing around.
CL2-MrZero is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2009, 11:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

What 'specs' are you referring to? As far as I'm aware, the 65HB and 65MG are exactly the same other than the material the gears are made out of (and the sticker on the case).

I am partial to the HB's because I prefer the less slop of plastic gears vs. the crashworthiness of metal gears. Plus, when and if I do crash, I'd rather replace servo gears (or just a cheap $25 servo) than have something else bend ...
ChrisH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2009, 12:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

The specs that I am referring too are, if I read it right, the HB appears to be faster, but has less torque. Now, this was reading from a sales catalog. Am I confused possibly?
Old 07-24-2009, 12:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
HF Support

According to www.hitecrcd.com the only difference is that the MG is .7g heavier.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

That's is exactly why I posted here. I knew that someone could help me. For that I truly thank you. Of course, most of the time when I am not certain of something it is because I have confused myself or someting of that sort. Again, thanks.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
HF Support

No problem. Have fun!
Old 07-26-2009, 05:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

The MG versions last through crashes, and do NOT cause more damage. If you hit hard, the links just pop off.

IMO, the whole metal just makes other things break is a falacy. When guys flying plastic parts break, they break/bend exactly the same parts as the metal part helis, PLUS they break some of the plastic parts.

Yes, if you hit hard enough with metal parts, you will bend/break parts, which do cost more to replace, but with a plastic part heli you will have 1) Totally rekitted the heli with that crash and 2) spent a LOT more money replacing plastic parts every crash up to the big one.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2009, 09:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

My HF Map location

+1 on everything Pinecone said. My MG's have lasted through four crashes, two of them were ugly.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have no idea how many crashes mine have been through.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Old 07-27-2009, 02:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

How are you guys mounting the 65mg to the trex 450. The frame has only 1 hole per tab but it looks like the mg65 has 2 holes per tab. I would like to replace my ds285 with mg65 but i noticed in the picture the servo tabs have 2 holes on the mg65.

Thanks
Joe
Joey.S is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2009, 03:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
HF Support

The 65HB and 65MGs have 3 mounting holes.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

3 Holse per tab right? so I can use the center hole to mount the servo just like the Ds285.

Thanks for the info.

Joe
Old 07-27-2009, 05:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
HF Support

Correct. I've never had a problem mounting the servos to my 450 or G5.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks You for the info.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

You do have to square up the holes in the frame. The Trex frame holes tend to be too rounded at the corners. Just file ehough so that the servo case does NOT touch the frame at any point.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Old 07-27-2009, 07:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
HF Support

Hmm, I've never had to do that on any of my three 450s I've built over the past 2 years.

Although you do have to center the servos in the frame, despite having only one hole on each ear.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:03 AM   #17 (permalink)

Default Hitec servo chatter

What will cause a servo to chatter when you let it go back to center? I can move the
stick little and it will quit chattering back and forth. What can I do to stop this or is the
servo bad? It is a HS-65HB servo.
recobrian is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2011, 05:55 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned User

Crashed my B400 with the HBs half a dozen times and only had to replace one set of gears. Not sure about the servo chatter recobrian, mine do that too, but only a little bit. You should be ok.
kavic5150 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2011, 12:22 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have 65MG's on my 450 clone, and 65HB's on my plane. The 65MG's have survived for several years and many crashes. The plane and the 65HB's are brand new so I cannot say anything about reliability of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recobrian View Post
What will cause a servo to chatter when you let it go back to center? I can move the
stick little and it will quit chattering back and forth. What can I do to stop this or is the
servo bad? It is a HS-65HB servo.
- It could be that it struggles to find the exact spot that the Rx is asking it to go to. These are analog servos and require a potensiometer to give it a value that should correspond with where the servo is supposed to go. Try to use subtrim or trim to bump it one notch in either direction and see if it helps.

- It could be the type of pulse that the Rx is sending out, make sure to set it to analog servo output if programmable.

- It could be that for this Rx/Tx combo (if you use modules), that you need to reverse the shift phase (e.g. when using my FrSky modules, (with digital servos) they work both with positive and negative shift, however they chatter alot more on negative than positive

- I have seen several combinations that will chatter alot when "idle" or not supplied by load. This chatter normally goes away as soon as they are loaded (flying)
Old 07-29-2011, 01:44 AM   #20 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavic5150 View Post
Crashed my B400 with the HBs half a dozen times and only had to replace one set of gears. Not sure about the servo chatter recobrian, mine do that too, but only a little bit. You should be ok.
Holy 2-year old thread, batman!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in