Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography

Aerial Videography and Photography Aerial Video/Photo from R/C Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2009, 02:39 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

congratulation David! I much enjoyed watching your vimeo movie and looking at your nice pics. Don't worry the countryside was not that bad...

Keep in feeding us with nice images

Best regards
Héli Suisse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2009, 03:13 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogster View Post
For this shot I had a 1-stop graduated filter in front of the lens, which means the light at the top of the image is 1-stop darker than at the bottom ... the result of which is that detail is retained in the sky - without the filter the sky would have just been white.
Of course, you now need to fit a servo mechanism to the filter holder so you can slide the grad up and down to get the transition between light and dark in exactly the right place!
Wenlock is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2009, 05:33 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks guys!

Wenlock .... how did you read my mind!! I was actually considering that but thought .... nah too difficult! I should have a pretty good idea where I want the horizon to be when I'm on the ground, so it shouldn't be too difficult ... haha, he says!

David
Hogster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry I should have kept this thread more up-to-date

Since the maiden flight I've taken an on-board video which you can see here:

Onboard the Logo 710 (7 min 14 sec)

More information can be found here:

http://runryder.com/helicopter/t511935p1/

I also took this panorama from the helicopter!

(click to enlarge)

Cheers!

David
Old 05-11-2009, 01:42 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice video David! Your gimbal and stabilization system works well, and not the sliest wobble is to see, cool

Keep feeding us with up to date videos.

Best regards
Old 05-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

submitted twice...

Last edited by Héli Suisse; 05-11-2009 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: Double submission
Old 06-01-2009, 11:51 AM   #27 (permalink)

David,
Sorry if this is obvious, but I couldn't tell if you were flying with FPV goggles or with observation from the ground... can you tell me what the equipment is?

Wes
wparmer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2009, 12:59 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

He is filming himself while flying and you can see he has no goggles on. "FPV" goggles are pretty large and easy to see.
If you want to see this in action (FPV), come by Varcha on a Sunday and John will most likely have his Maxi Joker 3 with the FPV gear on.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:12 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi David,

Regarding your video clips I am wondering if your camera has autofocus in video mode?

I was thinking to use D5000 in video mode, but realized that Nikon cameras (even D90) do not have autofocus, which is discouraging me to use DSLR in video mode.

At the same time you video look quite good.
Have you put the focus for infinity or your camera has autofocus?

Thank you,
Andrei.
akouzmit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2009, 02:24 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi David,

I see you are using Eagle tree altimeter V3. Is your`s working fine? Because mine even left on the table (in live mode) varies from -15 to +12 meters.

Can you post altitude graph from you logger?
goolfietis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2009, 08:27 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello,

Altimeter is updating measurements only after altitude changed for at list ~18 m.

Sitting on the table is should show you the last max altidude your model has reached.

Try to go to the nearest hirize building with your altimeter and battery and ride the elevator
It worked very well for me and I see the measurements are quite accurate floor after floor once 18m treshold is passed.

Once again, altimeter should not change displayed data if it is sitting on the table.

Thank you.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:04 PM   #32 (permalink)

You have great videos here!!

Jill74 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 03:13 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by akouzmit View Post
Hello,

Altimeter is updating measurements only after altitude changed for at list ~18 m.

Sitting on the table is should show you the last max altidude your model has reached.

Try to go to the nearest hirize building with your altimeter and battery and ride the elevator
It worked very well for me and I see the measurements are quite accurate floor after floor once 18m treshold is passed.

Once again, altimeter should not change displayed data if it is sitting on the table.

Thank you.
Thats the problem.

I conected my logger V3 with altimeter to the computer, and started it in the "live mode". Readout from altimeter was varying from ~-15 to +15 meters. While average altitude, (while altimeter was not moving) was very near 0 (-1, +0,5meter).

How can I interpret altitude graph after flight, if on the ground altimeter was showing from -15 to +10 meters altitude. Max flight altitude was lets say 60 meters acording graph.

Question: What was my real altitude? where`s altimeters zero?

tomas
goolfietis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 09:44 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question: What was my real altitude? where`s altimeters zero?

Once you apply power supply altimeter internal circuit reset to zero, BUT altimeter display will continue to show up last highest point measurement even if it is taken in the area much below or much higher your current point.
As soon as 18 meters threshold passed last measurements will be discarded and new real live measurements will be displayed (if you can see it in flight ).
This new measurements will be taken from the point where you applied power supply. All previous measurements (before power supply was connected and altitude reached 18m) will be gone forever.
I hope I explained altimeter functionality algorithm .
Try out elevator ride and everything will become clear how it is working
Old 07-03-2009, 02:33 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Andrei - that onboard footage was taken with a camcorder, not my DSLR camera (which doesn't have a video mode)

goolfietis - The altimeter I'm using isn't terrifically accurate, but I don't really need it to be ... although it's not as bad as ±12m! I think mine varies about ±5m when the helicopter is sitting on the ground. Such a tiny barometric unit will never be particularly accurate, but it at least gives me an indication of whether I was 50m up or 150m up!

Hope this helps

Cheers,

David
Old 07-03-2009, 10:54 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Goolfietis, You are not the only one with that problem. My V3 and altimiter will vary up and down like a that. too when stationary. I especially like it when I land at -60 feet....I believe these things have more than just a problem at rest though. I have contacted Eagle Tree about this. They were kind enough to send out a new unit. I tested fairly long(1 week). I sent back the replacement because it was worse...... The way I see it is not only the bench problem with drifting around the zero point but also a temperature compensation problem. I was flying on winter days. You can imagine that 5 or 6 minutes in the air is enough to change the temp of the device. I even covered it with foam rubber, which helped(unless you want to read the display, duh!),. Well, all that time in the air that's 30 degrees F at ground level and maybe 15 or so at 3-400 feet was enough to drastically alter the units temp . Eagle Tree says that they are temp compensated but gave a caveat that all temp sensors drift...... I gave up with them(on the temp sensor) when I got that answer.
Al
Old 07-17-2009, 08:12 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Fantastic job with the entire project David. I really enjoyed the "making of" video with the time lapse sequence. Great craftsmanship and photography. Please keep posting and inspiring others like me.

Daniel
dswitkin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2009, 12:00 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramsdell View Post
Goolfietis, You are not the only one with that problem.
Using barometric pressure to determine altitude is notoriously problematic. It's not reliable, regardless of manufacturer, especially under about 1000 feet above ground. Air pressure is a wide guess, on the scale of hundreds of feet of altitude, and gets more accurate as you get away from the ground. At 36000 feet, the usual cruising altitude for jet airliners, it's a very reliable measure, but it's still not good enough to be your sole means of determining altitude to the nearest ten feet.
halley is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2009, 09:25 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Halley, The baro sensor resets every time you power on. You can land with a reading of, say, -40 feet altitude. Power off then on and it resets to zero. The unit itself is unreliable as it constantly hunts in a slow sine-wave type manner aruond zero after power on-- usually-- and can't hold drifts a lot. Temp compensation is aweful. I had to cover mine with foam rubber to prevent fast temp swings and that wasn't enough.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in