Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Hirobo Nitro Helicopters > Hirobo Electric Helicopters

Hirobo Electric Helicopters Hirobo Lepton EX, Quark and other Electric Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 09:50 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I could drill 2 holes in each of the stock frames to relocate the AR bracket about 5mm further aft but I'd rather have MJP make me a custom set of their upgrade frames. I also don't really have any way of making the holes myself in any sort of precise manner at the moment.
prototype3a is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2010, 04:34 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So after all this time MJP Carbon responds that they won't make my frames for less than $250 per set. I have to say that I am extremely disappointed in them and will NOT be recommending their products or services to ANYONE. I wouldn't have found this to be such a problem if they had made this clear MONTHS ago when I first started talking to them. They complained of how the economy and outsourcing had impacted their business. I hope they go out of business if this is how they treat their customers.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:57 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

The least they could have done is let you know either way right then and there. I was getting ready to make an order from there too.

I would hate to wait a month for a order I paid up front for...
Old 03-27-2010, 09:07 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Luckily I hadn't given them any money but either way it was a LOT of wasted time.

So, this evening I've decided to draw up the frames I want in CAD myself. I'm making good progress on it but it is very tedious work to precisely measure and draw something like this. I really wish my printer wasn't broken because when I got close I could have printed out the drawing and compared it to the frames. I'll probably go on campus tomorrow and print them out on a nice large printer there tomorrow.

I also found what appears to be a good vendor for carbon fiber plate. I'm thinking about using some high quality 2mm "quasi-isotropic" carbon fiber sheet. Should make for some VERY strong frames.

http://www.dragonplate.com/ecart/categories.asp?cID=65
Old 03-27-2010, 10:37 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

A little progress tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lepton.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	147845  
Old 03-28-2010, 10:11 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I noticed this morning that I had drawn a few holes but forgot to cut them. I also tweaked a few things here and there and added another ziptie hole. One cool thing that I never liked about the lift kit was that it messed up the fit between the landing gear and the frames so in this revision I straightened that out.

I still need to print it out and verify it against the stock frames. Once that is complete I'm going to enlarge openings and add a few holes to reduce weight.

I noticed that the Dragon Plate people can CNC parts as well, so I inquired with them about cutting them for me. If anyone knows anyone who can CNC CF plate please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lepton (2).jpg
Views:	78
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	147895  
Old 03-28-2010, 08:29 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

This guy 'Van Heli' would know, he also cuts his own CF frames for a couple of heli's he's designed using Trex700 parts, anyhow this is a URL for his page here at Archeli - http://www.archeli.com.au/forums/member.php?u=32775
and this is a URL for a thread about one of his heli's, it may inspire you -
http://www.archeli.com.au/forums/sho...d.php?t=132743
There's also this place in Canada I think called BFcarbon -
http://www.bfcarbon.com/lepton I've bought a few things off him and it seems pretty good. My electrics lost power the other day and I ended up coming in tail first, the vertical fin hit first and you know the rest, anyhow, the vertical fin hitting first didn't break, the bolt attaching it actually broke/snapped, I find that full on, so it has to be pretty strong. Good luck...

Last edited by owde; 03-28-2010 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: spelling
owde is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2010, 01:54 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks owde! I may contact him if things don't work out with DragonPlate. This morning I double checked and finalized the dimensions of all the screw holes. I need to print it out hopefully just once more to make sure everything is where it should be relative to the stock frames. I think I fixed everything last night but I want to be sure.

A friend suggested that I use some of the empty space near the tail to have a symbol or design engraved to make it obvious that they are not the stock frames. Any suggestions?
Old 03-31-2010, 07:19 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Engrave "prototype3a" in the empty space.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

/CRY DragonPlate came back today with a quote of ~$500 for my frames. I guess they went for the $3 per inch of cut.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:58 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I was fiddling with some of my lepton parts today and noticed some differences between my frames and the stock ones. I also noticed a problem with my design. So, I hopped into CAD and fixed them real quick. I also cut some fat and made a few cosmetic changes. I contacted BF Carbon and the guy in Australia to see what they say. Hopefully, I can get someone to cut these things out soon because I'm dying to order a SK720 and fly this thing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lepton3.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	149172  
Old 04-06-2010, 05:06 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

GREAT NEWS

I've found a guy who will make my frames for less than $100. He's going to get me a more accurate quote some time tomorrow after he takes a closer look at my drawings. He's also going to make them from 1.8mm CF where the stock ones are 1.65mm. So, his should be both lighter and a bit stronger as well.

He also makes some beautiful carbon fiber landing gear that he's going to drill for our Leptons. Technically they are made for the Trex500 but the Gaui 550 tubes many of us use should fit.

http://www.rc-carbon.com/index.php

If things work out with my custom frames, I may send him a second set of plans with the AR bracket holes in the stock location for those of you looking for a nice and reasonably priced set of frames.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:23 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I decided to draw up a custom, matching base plate. I also drew a few other parts so I could make an assembly. Looks pretty good, I think.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Assembly1-2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	149949   Click image for larger version

Name:	Assembly1-3.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	149950  
Old 04-13-2010, 07:54 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have been talking with Haydn (VanHeli) in Australia a LOT lately and this morning I got some photos of the prototype frames cut from G-10.

Thought I would share them with you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Video call snapshot 2.png
Views:	133
Size:	419.6 KB
ID:	150983   Click image for larger version

Name:	Video call snapshot 3.png
Views:	112
Size:	392.1 KB
ID:	150984   Click image for larger version

Name:	Video call snapshot 5.png
Views:	109
Size:	410.5 KB
ID:	150985   Click image for larger version

Name:	Video call snapshot 4.png
Views:	96
Size:	423.0 KB
ID:	150986  
Old 04-14-2010, 08:24 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool, I'm glad he helped out.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:41 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I received the prototype frames in the mail today and transferred most of the parts to the new frames. Everything seems to fit more or less perfectly. I'll post up some pictures when I have time later this week to finish assembling and tweaking things. If only I had my SK720.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:42 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So, I couldn't wait to post pictures. Found a problem that will delay flight testing with the stock head. I discovered that somehow one of the cyclic servos' case top got broken. So, I'm gonna order 2 new ones and hope I don't find any other problems.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CIMG1246.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	153118   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1247.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	153119  
Old 04-25-2010, 06:27 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not many Lepton parts left there mate, looks pretty cool though. I hate it when you're close to finishing and then find something that needs to be fixed with a part that comes by mail.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:35 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Heh, when it rains it pours. I accidentally fried my Jazz 80 this afternoon, so I'm trying to decide between the Jive 60 LV and a ICE 75. Right now the ICE is looking good so long as it comes with that link cable/coupon.

She's got custom frames, T500 boom supports, I2 head, G550 landing gear and maybe a custom fin clamp. That's all. LOL
Old 04-27-2010, 08:43 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I was really hoping to get a chance to fly her with the stock head this weekend but I forgot that heliproz is on mars and stuff takes forever to get here. So, I should have a nice shiny new ICE75, 5s3300 TP ProPower 30C batteries, boom supports and a bunch of small fiddly things to finish her by friday but no replacement servo cases till sometime next week. I've decided to go with EC5s this time around hoping that they are easier to connect and disconnect than the EC3s. I've heard that they are HUGE so there should be something to grip on them. When the ICE shows up, I'll have to decide if I want to design an ESC mount to match the new and larger ESC. I did switch the mechanics in the heli around to the mirror image of what is in the manual last night to make more room on the port side of the heli for it. Just have to wait and see now.

The V1 frames will be cut from 2.0mm CF with red thread stripes in it so I went for the JR (red) remote receivers to match.

I really hope the SK720 shows up before the summer session of school starts so I can relax and get her dialed and fly her.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in