Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2008, 11:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Servo Horns - they are so... 80's

I don't know much about engineering, but maybe someone here does and can tell me why in these days we can't get a solid servo arm that will fit on a servo without the need for subtrim. Why do we have to fish through and find the "Neo" of servo horns?

Is it because it's really hard to make servos and horns that line up? Or is it because easier/better to just get as close as you can and subtrim it out?

Get with the times, Servo Horn!

Little side questions:
a) What are the ills of subtrim that makes it so unappealing to most?
b) How much sub-trim is too much (I have a DX7 and X9303 if you want to give numerics).

rig: vibe 50 | swash: ds8717 | tail: g7703d + ds8900g | throttle: hs-475hb | motor: 50 sx-h hyper + mp5 | receiver: ar7100r + 2s1p 7.4v 2000mAh | fuel: 30%
founder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2008, 12:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

it all depends on the heli,on my 600 i got the align servo horns and they worked just fine no subtrim,cant say the same for the 450 or 500

http://www.brunswickrcclub.com/
CTG1129 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2008, 12:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

But is it because they always work, or did you luck-out? Will they line up on say... JR servo's, or Futaba?

rig: vibe 50 | swash: ds8717 | tail: g7703d + ds8900g | throttle: hs-475hb | motor: 50 sx-h hyper + mp5 | receiver: ar7100r + 2s1p 7.4v 2000mAh | fuel: 30%
Old 12-31-2008, 12:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think there is a reasonable answer.....All servos are different. Even like servos have different neutral positions as well as different throws. It's not like we are flying the space shuttle.....sometimes the tolerences arn't exact.

I have used up to 29 clicks on subtrim with no ill effects. That was after trying EVERY combination of horns to servos.

I can say that with the Align JR horn on my 600, I never use subtrim. Mabey on high priced servos, they pay attention to the gear placements.....I don't know
HydroJoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2008, 12:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

@founder -- with modern digital servos it is possible to use a servo programmer to set the center point of the servo *precisely* and eliminate all subtrim.

Subtrim, in the radio, is considered "bad" by some because you aren't actually changing the center point of the servo, you are shifting the signal sent to the servo when your stick is at center in the radio, that means you have more available travel on one side of center than the other. In most cases a *small* amount of subtrim isn't going to hurt anything because the radio is not using the full 900-2100 micro-second signal (that's why they can go up to "150%" travel... so sliding the travel window by a few percent doesn't hurt and you still get equal amounts of travel on either side of the subtrimmed "center".

Let's put this another way -- 900-2100 usec is the signal range, for a total range of 1200usec, divide that in 1/2 and you get the center point of 1500usec. So, with no subtrim, at center stick your receiver is putting out a 1500usec pulse to command the servo to center. On my JR radio, I can adjust the high and low endpoints of travel from 100% (default) up to 150% (max), that means that 100% travel is using 2/3 of the available 600usecs on either side of center, or 400usec. So if my travels are at 100% low and 100% high, the receiver is putting out a signal from 1100usec to 1900usec, leaving 200usec to "spare" on either side of center for subtrim. If I put in subtrim such that I've shifted by 100usec, then at center stick my receiver is putting out 1600usec, and at max 2000usec, min is 1200usec, I still have equal travel on either side and the subtrim didn't hurt.

On the other hand, if I set my travel volume to 150% of high and low (assuming that is possible without binding) then I WILL see a difference in travel volume between center and high stick vs. center and low stick. In that situation subtrim would be "bad".

Similarly, if I'm needing to put in a LOT of subtrim (i.e. because I'm lazy and don't want to fix things mechanically) then I could swamp that default 200usec of subtrim and again cause a differential between center/high vs center/low. That could cause my roll rates to be inconsistent left/right, etc.

So, get it as "right" as possible mechanically, then use a *little* subtrim --or-- a servo programmer to get it "perfect".

I'm still researching the servo programmers, but my impression is that if you set the center with a servo programmer, you will always have the full 120-180 degrees of travel available to you mechanically and electronically and your radio subtrims can always be 0. Does anyone else have experience with digital servo programmers?

Peter+
pvogel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2008, 12:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Peter+! You have expanded my understanding. I owe you big time!

I only found a programmer for Hi-Tec (http://www.servocity.com/html/servo_...er_tester.html).

If what you say is true, then I don't think it's that big a deal basically i'm cutting off what I don't use.

... Spoke too soon: http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...?ProdID=SPMDSP For JR servos... and reasonably priced if it does the job - reading manual.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Even worse:

Throughout the whole range of JR/spektrum radios, there is a bug.

That is: For 120 degree swash you SHOULD have EXP=ACT in the swash menu activated, else you get interaction, PERIOD. (it takes out the round movement of the servo-horn)

BUT: Its a bug in the software, so when you have EXP activated AND using subtrim you get unlinear movement of the pitch, so if you for sample have 70 in subtrim on any servo, you will have a pitch curve that looks like -13 0 +12
No problem to adjust by lowering your lower pitch by a few points, but annoying nevertheless.

(its present even on the 12X flagship)

I say +-30 subtrim is OK.

What I wonder is how long it takes for some "geared" CCPM servos to come out, no servo horn instead a "spiral" gearbox, pushing straight up/down, made to fit our helis.... *hint* *wink*
Old 12-31-2008, 12:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMel View Post
What I wonder is how long it takes for some "geared" CCPM servos to come out, no servo horn instead a "spiral" gearbox, pushing straight up/down, made to fit our helis.... *hint* *wink*
I've wondered that too. So that you get a sliding movement instead of an arc?

Old 12-31-2008, 12:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Not familiar with JR servos, but the futaba servo horns on a futaba servo can be turned to achieve a perfect 90 degree at center with no sub or trim.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by heli-cuzz View Post
Not familiar with JR servos, but the futaba servo horns on a futaba servo can be turned to achieve a perfect 90 degree at center with no sub or trim.
I believe that's true with any servo, IF you have a starred servo horn, but, for example the Hitec MG servos come with a metal servo horn that has only one arm, so it can be impossible (without something like the HFP-21 or the HFP-20) to eliminate the need for subtrim. I've never needed more than 20 "clicks" of subtrim to center at 90 degrees though).

Peter+
pvogel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2008, 01:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

From the manual of the Specktrum digital servo programmer:

[Once everything is hooked up] "To adjust the center point, slightly turn the servo arm, being careful not to over-twist and strip the servo gears."

Just seem like overkill now though.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Here's a really crappy linear servo that's been around for years. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCJG6&P=FR

It really shouldn't be that hard to put a rack and pinion on a good servo to make it linear.

But what we really need are small, light, efficient linear actuators. Maybe in another decade....

Fast and easy flight logging with tons of extras at rcflylog.com
saltyzoo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2008, 01:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Even worse:
That is: For 120 degree swash you SHOULD have EXP=ACT in the swash menu activated, else you get interaction, PERIOD. (it takes out the round movement of the servo-horn)

BUT: Its a bug in the software, so when you have EXP activated AND using subtrim you get unlinear movement of the pitch, so if you for sample have 70 in subtrim on any servo, you will have a pitch curve that looks like -13 0 +12
That is why I do not use EXP activated and adjust the end travels for level travel of the swash. Even when not using subtrim I never liked the feel with EXP=ACT. It felt like it put expo in the feel of pitch.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2008, 01:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
That is why I do not use EXP activated and adjust the end travels for level travel of the swash. Even when not using subtrim I never liked the feel with EXP=ACT. It felt like it put expo in the feel of pitch.

Bob
Hows your barrel rolls doing, impossible to not get them...

Btw on the 12x the exp=act default. Its funny because ive met people selling their crappy flying heli because they DIDNT enable it

Btw, it hasnt really something to with pitch, but to disable the circular move of the servo at full aileron + pitch, if you take a swash plate bubble-tool you will see what it does.

Granted, you need to adjust your pitch curve afterwards, up 15-20% to get same "feel" but thats the price for nice rolls, tictocs and whatever.

Last edited by MrMel; 12-31-2008 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: too late in new years eve here ;)
MrMel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2008, 02:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
NERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by founder View Post
I don't know much about engineering, but maybe someone here does and can tell me why in these days we can't get a solid servo arm that will fit on a servo without the need for subtrim. Why do we have to fish through and find the "Neo" of servo horns?

Is it because it's really hard to make servos and horns that line up? Or is it because easier/better to just get as close as you can and subtrim it out?

Get with the times, Servo Horn!

Little side questions:
a) What are the ills of subtrim that makes it so unappealing to most?
b) How much sub-trim is too much (I have a DX7 and X9303 if you want to give numerics).

This is why I'm a fan of the Futaba star wheel or solid disk. You don't have to hunt for the right one, they will work and the disk is even better. I've used metal arms and do not like them at all.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXH362&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFAG8&P=7
Old 12-31-2008, 02:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its Ok with the wheel, but for example BLSxxx users with only HD arms, its an issue (or anyone want to use the HD arms)

No wheel is delivered with the BLS servos.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
NERD

Quote:
Its Ok with the wheel, but for example BLSxxx users with only HD arms, its an issue (or anyone want to use the HD arms)

No wheel is delivered with the BLS servos.

You sure about that? Looks like they come with a set..

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUZE9&P=0

If not its a cheap order. If the pros can use them to spank hard 3D out, they are plenty strong enough.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Hows your barrel rolls doing, impossible to not get them...
No problems what so ever! Just watch some of my maiden flight videos like the Protos and Atom I just did. They roll like they are on rails.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2008, 02:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
No problems what so ever! Just watch some of my maiden flight videos like the Protos and Atom I just did. They roll like they are on rails.
I can make you an video if you want... try a bubble level and see for your self.
Newer helis like Protos, Align T700, Aurora have very very low swash mix, that takes out alot of that interaction, the higher swashmix values you have the greater the interaction there is.
Tradeoff is that you need great servos for those helis (slop will show directly)

IMHOP it shouldnt even be possible to disable it with 120 degree swash, since there aint no "non-circular-moving-servos" out there.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

You sure about that? Looks like they come with a set..

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUZE9&P=0
They migth have changed that for the new dedicated Heli servos, the BLS451 didnt come with it (got a few myself)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in