Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 05:44 PM   #121 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I do agree that people here are attempting this challenge with their helis set to fly as they do... In my opinion, that is some of the point of the challenge, we, as a community have some seriously skilled pilots to "emulate" , this has lead many "myself included" to put the horse before the cart! As Raza said in his earlier post, we could add expo, and tone down the HS, pitch to make it easier, not the point. If we intend to perform "3D" then we must be able to control the uncontrollable in nearly any attitude! If not, then the "epic fail trying piro flips" appears, the foundation of this thread!

Post number #2347
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #122 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by snjbird View Post
I do agree that people here are attempting this challenge with their helis set to fly as they do... In my opinion, that is some of the point of the challenge, we, as a community have some seriously skilled pilots to "emulate" , this has lead many "myself included" to put the horse before the cart! As Raza said in his earlier post, we could add expo, and tone down the HS, pitch to make it easier, not the point. If we intend to perform "3D" then we must be able to control the uncontrollable in nearly any attitude! If not, then the "epic fail trying piro flips" appears, the foundation of this thread!
+100

Blade 180 CFX, Sold the rest of my stuff, I dont really fly all that often any more.
dannylightning is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2010, 05:48 PM   #123 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

LOL.. Thanks Danny.
planters is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2010, 06:59 PM   #124 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdocphil View Post
YES Jasmine. Most guys would do their hovering maneuvers in normal mode. They would set up their throttle and pitch curves to be flatter around the hovering point. This would help eliminate the constant up and down that I see with alot of the Vids here. If you are flying in Idle up, a small movement in the collective will yield a significant change in pitch and throttle. It makes it hard to refine your hover. Especially in the wind. Give it a try! it is quite easy to put it back to where you normally would have your curves. I would also suggest trying to slow down your head speed a bit. This will smooth out your hover
I always program a normal mode, but it's pretty hot usually - high throttle curve. I just don't use it very much, maybe just for landing and launching. However, I do a lot of smooth big flying, even with the little helis. I'm originally an airplane pilot, so I tend to fly airplane type patterns and haven't really learned good 3D yet, but I'm working on it - so I don't practice a lot of precision flying. This year I've been trying to work on that, flying more slowly in circuits, being more critical of my altitude and heading control, and doing less 3D stuff. I will need to try using normal mode more often.
Jasmine2501 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2010, 04:33 AM   #125 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Are there any PRO's willing to try Bob's Challenge????
Old 11-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #126 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxtarl View Post
Are there any PRO's willing to try Bob's Challenge????
Oh nobody told you... when you go Pro, you're not allowed to use Helifreak any more
Jasmine2501 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2010, 11:56 AM   #127 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine2501 View Post
Oh nobody told you... when you go Pro, you're not allowed to use Helifreak any more
why would they need to, when the crash the heli there is a brand new one already set up just how they like it waiting for them lol..

Blade 180 CFX, Sold the rest of my stuff, I dont really fly all that often any more.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:11 PM   #128 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Checking back in.... Good jobs!
Yes the keeping altitude part of this is very hard if setup hot. Again I am not looking for the best here, it's not a contest really. It's to show you have your orientations down! So far I am pretty proud of everyone that has posted a video! It shows you what areas you might need some work on but also shows where your strong areas are too.

Also you would want to setup different if you were going to compete in hovering maneuvers. No need to here since again it's not a competition. But if anyone wants to setup differently, feel free! As an example, lowering head speed is simple to do and does help. Look at Gav in part 2 of Mercuriell's video in post (#22). He is doing it in a lower head speed and later clicks up into 3D to do it inverted.

Keep em coming folks
Challange #2 is next soon.....

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2010, 10:16 PM   #129 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great challenge and awesome entries guys. Im a noob, and only started out in May of this year. I am practicing my basics now. Most of my early flights (stick banging) ended up with me at the hobby shop to buy parts. While some of the manuevers I pulled off looked cool, I didnt know my head from my arse. Well that got old fast. I have calmed down and am really enjoying just trying to get my flights to look smooth and controlled. I wont even attempt 3d anymore, its a waste of time on the sim and hits you in the wallet if you cant get these basics down first. Keep up the good work guys.
Im loving how this humbles those who are a little too cocky, myself included.
/trex450prov2/mcpx's/DX8
Jonnyrl1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2010, 08:05 AM   #130 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyrl1 View Post
Great challenge and awesome entries guys. Im a noob, and only started out in May of this year. I am practicing my basics now. Most of my early flights (stick banging) ended up with me at the hobby shop to buy parts. While some of the manuevers I pulled off looked cool, I didnt know my head from my arse. Well that got old fast. I have calmed down and am really enjoying just trying to get my flights to look smooth and controlled. I wont even attempt 3d anymore, its a waste of time on the sim and hits you in the wallet if you cant get these basics down first. Keep up the good work guys.
Im loving how this humbles those who are a little too cocky, myself included.
hey bud, i just start flying a few months ago my self. we would love to see you post a video too. even if you only have one or two of the orientations down lets see what you got.

as for what you are saying about the sim. i dont really practice things on the sim that i do not intend to do in real or want to be able to do in real life. some of it i want to start trying and can do it all day on the sim but i chicken out when it comes to reall life flying. one of these days ill start doing it and i will keep working on that stuff

well bob is part two is doing this inverted you can count me out, i am not ready yet.. i am way to scared to do any thing but nose in inverted. but i should have a nother video up some time soon of me doing a really good job on the first one (i hope)

infarct i am holding a hovering competition this Sunday with the people in my unofficial heli club. if they are not comfortable they do not have to do it in all the different orientations but they will have to hover in as many as they are comfortable with and try to hold the hover dead steady, even if it is just tail in..

Old 11-11-2010, 08:53 AM   #131 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

danny,

Although Bob has not revealed the details of Challenge #2, I doubt it will involve anything inverted. Just wouldn't make much sense to go from this to that.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:59 AM   #132 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
danny,

Although Bob has not revealed the details of Challenge #2, I doubt it will involve anything inverted. Just wouldn't make much sense to go from this to that.
Yes I think the logical progression from here, would be remote circles, left and right, flying flat level eights, both ways, turns in and turns out. And bonus points for flying nose in to a steady hover, from a distance!
Old 11-11-2010, 10:01 AM   #133 (permalink)

Bob's a stickler for well performed figure 8's. I know that's coming next
RĒzĒ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2010, 10:06 AM   #134 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

IMO it's easier than a correct hover. What about some funnels? ...
eDeK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2010, 10:13 AM   #135 (permalink)

Properly performed figure 8's are NOT easy. I'm not talking about "lazy 8's" here, I'm talking about constant height, perfect circles with transitions directly in front of you, at no more than a moderate speed. Transitions can be coming towards you or away from you. Try both. Then there's always doing them backwards, but that's probably an even later challenge...

Everyone thought hovering was going to be easy. It isn't. May as well start practicing because 8's are coming.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:27 AM   #136 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Inverted will not be part 2 for sure. Stay tuned. Some will think this is easy but it will be just as hard as challenge #1.

I figure a new post for challenge #2 would be best so conversations can stay on topic in relation to each challenge. You all agree?

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2010, 10:28 AM   #137 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Yes, I agree with a new post Bob.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:21 AM   #138 (permalink)

+1 yup new thread per challenge for sure. sorry to go too far off topic just speculation some are starting to itch for a new challenge
Old 11-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #139 (permalink)
Registered Users

How about add to that a separate class for people who use electronic flight correction systems and those who dont'. This is to separate the FBL class of fliers. Since a FBL stabilazation system encompasses multi gyros I don't think it's fair to put them in the same class as a flybarred head.

So, have FBL class (one with an electronic stabilizer and one without) and FB class.
X-cell Fury 90: 601/9251, 8231's Cyc; DS650; OS 91MP-6; Jr Vibe 90; OS 91RJX Pipe; Jr 8231 cyclic, 770 3D/G8900, Prfct Reg. CCPM; T-Rex 600 NP: 6965HB, 425MG Throttle GY 520/9254; OS50 Hyper,MP-5, Prfct Reg; 600E Bstx, nue1910
seanh is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2010, 11:51 AM   #140 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bob,

Maybe a link from the main page to flight challenges with a separate thread for each challenge? That might get more entries?

Any way you do it, it's fun
Cullen Colapietro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in