Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > JS TZ-V2 Frenzy

JS TZ-V2 Frenzy JS Models TZ-V2 Frenzy Helicopters Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2009, 11:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Unhappy Frenzy down

Well it had to happen some time but Sunday was the day for me. First flight of the day and everything was looking smooth as usual and I decided to flip inverted to do a straight line inverted pass and when made some corrections in roll to straighten everything out the bird continued to roll in the direction that I gave it initially. Tried to wiggle the sticks etc... but to no avail, she was going in and nothing I could do about it.

Unlike other crashes this one did not upset me as much. When I looked over the damage I was pleasantly surprised to find very little damage to the heli and after adding up the parts for repair it worked out to be less than $50 for Frenzy parts plus $65 for the failed servo and of course let's not forget the blades $100 Rotor Tech 610's. For a grand total of $215. Not bad at all for crash that started at 100ft up in the air and drove nose first into the ground. Surprisingly the canopy had very little damage. I couldn't believe it.

Failed parts list:
  1. Radio tray
  2. Upper mixing arm
  3. Landing Gear
  4. Front canopy mounting stand offs
  5. Tail boom
The main shaft is perfectly straight and the feathering shaft too. That is amazing! All I need to do is replace the bearings on the main shaft and it will be good to go.

Cause of the crash:

So the cause was pretty obvious after looking at the failed pitch servo. It was an Align DS610 servo that burned up in flight causing the roll when collective was changed. It is quite possible this was my fault due to running these servos at 8v instead of the standard 6v. I will not be running the DS610's at 8v anymore since the difference in feel of the servos is negligible. Lesson learned.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Burnt-DS610-Servo.jpg
Views:	1278
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	98691   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame.jpg
Views:	925
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	98692   Click image for larger version

Name:	broken-stuff.jpg
Views:	890
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	98693  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2009, 09:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i knew those align servos will burn up on 8V

best to stay with servos that are sure to NOT burn out on 8V (i.e BLS451)

i still have doubts about 8717s on 8V, i've heard some bad stories on it

sucks you crashed though, but good thing parts are super cheap, i mean...$5 for a 50 size boom!!!!
Old 05-26-2009, 06:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Whatsup mike this is rese i see you put your heli on line, thats a good thing now the guys know not to use 8 volts on those servos and just to let you know i did go to 140 on my heli and its working great i like it much better this way feels and handles great.
rese is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2009, 07:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Glad you like it rese. Guess what I just bought? Another Frenzy!!! Wooo Hooooooo
Old 05-27-2009, 01:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the 8717's on 8v to start with but back'em down to 5.8v on the align 2n1 can't really tell a difference in speed at 5.8v.

I was worried they might burn up as well at 8v.
JR 11X
bighands3d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2009, 09:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

the regular 8717s run hot at 8V, the 8717 HV runs a little cooler, but won't last as long as BLS451s in 8V
Old 06-10-2009, 08:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

could have just been a bad servo ie defect that would have shown up anyway. I have about 30+ flights on my TREX700 and 610's at 2s Lipo and no issues. Several others with similar results. Szabo is running that combo as well I believe. Not to say you can't get a dud, but IMO it's a great servo value.

Sorry for your mishap, but glad it didn't cost too much
Scorpion Power Systems/Batteries
Spartan RC
John Cook is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2009, 11:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

yeah szabo and riva had been running it for months, hundreds of flights with no failure

i still don't trust them as much as 451s, never heard of anyone running 451s on 8V burning out
Old 07-17-2009, 03:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian94066 View Post
the regular 8717s run hot at 8V, the 8717 HV runs a little cooler, but won't last as long as BLS451s in 8V
thats a lot of nonsense right there about BLS451's. let me guess you run BLS451's on 8v?. NONE of the servos mentioned here are rated for 8v (excet the 8717HV) so ALL of them are only as reliable as their last flight (as any servo is) but your cutting down the chance with less voltage/heat.

cheers
raptorheli2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2009, 03:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Does anybody really think that there is that much of a difference between 6v vs 8v ?? how much do we really notice? (speed wise) next time watch the servo at 6v then watch the servo at 8v. Can you physically see any difference? maybe just a hair. But in all reality does it really matter .The speed of your Heli is really in your pilot skills. Unless of course you have really ancient servos, and a really old radio. You want fast?? go to 2048 res in your radio and receiver and decent servos (6v) and collective management and you will be rockin (unless you have deep pockets for new gizmos )
Old 07-17-2009, 04:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmac1 View Post
Does anybody really think that there is that much of a difference between 6v vs 8v ?? how much do we really notice? (speed wise) next time watch the servo at 6v then watch the servo at 8v. Can you physically see any difference? maybe just a hair. But in all reality does it really matter .The speed of your Heli is really in your pilot skills. Unless of course you have really ancient servos, and a really old radio. You want fast?? go to 2048 res in your radio and receiver and decent servos (6v) and collective management and you will be rockin (unless you have deep pockets for new gizmos )
I don't run straight 2s b/c of speed. Actually only one of my helis runs straight 2s lipo. I have 2 more that run straight 2s A123 Rx packs which peak at about 7.4 and nominal voltage is generally in teh 6.6-6.8v range, which is basically what a 6v rated servo should be rated for anyway. It's just easier and more simplified wiring and one less thing to fail(regulator). Now sure you assume more risk in a servo dusting off, but given that several known servos tolerate 2s lipos fine, I doubt there is an exponential increase in failure rates just by voltage alone. Heck you can have servos fail at 4.8v too, then what? Then it's just a bad servo, oh well? But if you have a servo fail at 8v it's automatically due to 8v? Wasn't going to fail anyway? My $ is on the latter, but maybe I'll change my tune if I have a rash of servo failures on straight 2s lipos
Scorpion Power Systems/Batteries
Spartan RC
John Cook is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in