Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > Belt CP

Belt CP E-Sky Belt CP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2010, 02:20 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauste View Post
Hi Raf, not sure if you noticed that the guy that did the Audacity tacho also has a speed trap calculator based on audio recording and doppler effect during a fly past?
Well, after a look around, there seem to be some people who tried such a thing, here's a link. Sorry it is completely in German, Google translator or so might help you.

http://www.sprut.de/electronic/soft/scope.htm

The principle is fairly straightforward: the changing distance between the microphone and the heli will cause a shift in frequency, and the minimum and maximum difference allows to calculate the speed of the heli at that moment. It's in fact some kind of code like in the tachometer, but used in a different way, with some different calculations in the end. The basic calculation is the same though, fast fourier transformations on a wave file. Pretty sure it would be possible to make such a thing now. Usability is another thing. It won't work when flying in a circle for example, as the distance doesn't change. Only straight lines would be really ok to measure max speeds, and even then there are some demands to be forfilled.
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2010, 05:09 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

OK for checking speed in a heli drag race then! Now it looks like we may have some nicer weather tomorrow, so I'll see if I can get my phone slung under the skids and get this GPS thing tested for real (no more hanging out of the car).
dauste is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nevermind, figured out myself
Old 04-05-2010, 05:42 AM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Figured what out? If you previously had a question and have subsequently edited it because you discovered the answer, perhaps it would be better to leave the question and include your solution. Maybe it will help others with the same problem.

Cheers

Sutty
sutty is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2010, 02:59 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

OK, it works!! Got the GPS running on my Furion today and even though it was very windy (20 mph) managed to get a quick run done. So.... how fast did it go?? I wasn't able to go all out due to the wind, but managed 44kph! The phone was strapped under the skids and weighs almost as much as one of the batteries, so I went with my 2200 Outrage instead of the 2500 Hyperion to try and keep the weight down a bit.

I was a bit tentative coming off the ground and was actually surprised how easily the Furion handled the extra weight. It was hardly noticeable except when descending (came down a bit fast)! I then went up for another quick run and this time turned on the camera which was pointing straight down. That worked as well!! (bit boring to watch)

Last edited by dauste; 04-05-2010 at 04:12 PM..
Old 04-05-2010, 03:30 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
OK, it works!! Got the GPS running on my Furion today and even though it was very windy (20 mph) managed to get a quick run done. So.... how fast did it go?? I wasn't able to go all out due to the wind, but managed 44kph! The phone was strapped under the skids and weighs about as much as one of the batteries, so I went with my 2200 Outrage instead of the 2500 Hyperion to try and keep the weight down a bit. I was a bit tentative coming off the ground and was actually surprised how easily the Furion handled the extra weight. It was hardly noticeable except when descending (came down a bit fast)! I then went up for another quick run and this time turned on the camera which was pointing straight down. That worked as well!! (bit boring to watch)
Well, this is not boring to watch at all for me !!! Knowing my "bits and bytes" were on board, lol. Great idea to have the phone camera running at the same time ! Thanks a lot for the report. You did'nt save the log in a csv file by any chance ? It would really please me to see it. You can mail it, if it wouldn't be asked too much :o. I don't care about the actual performance in these windy conditions, only intrested in seeing the GPS logger work for now, as you are the first to make a report about it, you understand.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well I'm sad to say that I didn't save the file! As you can see the top of the phone was under the bottom of the heli and in the sunlight was hard to see. I just checked the figures after landing to make sure it had worked and got the top speed off it. I definitely does work though! Sorry I can't send you a file (maybe next time if I can find enough cable ties!!) LOL
Old 04-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just downloaded the app a couple of days ago and I'm really impressed with it. Very well done and it makes my buddy with the I-phone green with envy. I'm running the app on an HTC pro 2 and works great.

The only comment I've got other than great job, is on the pre-installed motor settings. You've got the kv for the align 600m at 1620kv, and the motor is actually a 1220kv motor. The only reason I noticed is of course because I've got a 600m installed in my bird.

Once again great app and I look forward to you getting the battery calculator and logger portions up and running.
Thanks!
gr8taz nitro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2010, 05:26 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8taz nitro View Post
Just downloaded the app a couple of days ago and I'm really impressed with it. Very well done and it makes my buddy with the I-phone green with envy. I'm running the app on an HTC pro 2 and works great.

The only comment I've got other than great job, is on the pre-installed motor settings. You've got the kv for the align 600m at 1620kv, and the motor is actually a 1220kv motor. The only reason I noticed is of course because I've got a 600m installed in my bird.

Once again great app and I look forward to you getting the battery calculator and logger portions up and running.
Thanks!
Glad you like it. Forget the iPhones, lol, these guys have been nagging me too much lately, to get their own version of HeliPort, they think because they have 30% of marketshare in the mobile market that everybody should write programs for that platform. We'll make them look even greener.
And at least, that way, I have an easy way of releasing the same code for Windows (desktop version I mean) in the same time, something that is not possible with an iPhone version. And I figured that this is by far the most used platform anyway, so more people can benefit of this app.
Sorry for the 600M typo, consider it already corrected. You will find the right value in the next relase in a few weeks at most. These mistakes are always possible when collecting so much data :o. That's why it's a beta version for now, and with the help of people like you, we will be able to make it better, so thanks, I appreciate this a lot. And I really mean that.
BTW, I do not intend to stop adding extra fonctionality, what is claimed on the website now is just the beginning for me. There is more to come, but first the basics: all tools that I talk about on the site should be finished first in a basic form, and the menus that are still outgreyed will be all gone then. Like the tacho that is now only for 2 bladed electric helis, but it won't stay like that. That will be release 1.00.
After that, the real fun will begin...
Old 04-07-2010, 05:40 AM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Well I'm sad to say that I didn't save the file!
I was thinking about this Raf and wondered if you could get the logger so that it auto saves the file to a default location when you hit the stop button. It would be nearly impossible to browse and add a file name etc. before saving when the phone is strapped in position and the suns blazing (OK, OK, I know the sun is never blazing in the UK)!
Old 04-07-2010, 07:20 AM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I was thinking about this Raf and wondered if you could get the logger so that it auto saves the file to a default location when you hit the stop button. It would be nearly impossible to browse and add a file name etc. before saving when the phone is strapped in position and the suns blazing (OK, OK, I know the sun is never blazing in the UK)!
That would be very easy. In fact, that's like the tacho does now, with the file "tacho.wav". It doesn't ask anything, just saves and even overwrites. That could be solved by adding an automatic number to the filename, like gpslog1, gpslog2, gpslog 3, etc...So no problem. I figured some people might like to have more control, and assign a descriptive filename, and save it where they want. But you're right, would be handy. Maybe I could make something like an auto-save option, to be activiated by the user, combining the best of both worlds ?
BTW, im' a bit busy now focussing on the other tools, so I won't do it soon, but is surely something to do in a future version. Thanks for the idea.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

A little anouncement about the next release, version 0.16:

It will contain 2 new data modules:

1) "electrical wires": this one will contain a small calculator that asks for the max amps of your motor, and will reply with a (conservative) estimation of the optimal type of wire that should be used on the ESC and packs. It will also tell you the voltage drop with that specific current and type of wire, per meter and per feet. But the user is free to pick a different type of wire at the same current, and HeliPort will of course reply with a "Not optimal" response in orange, and neverthess calculate the voltagedrops per meter and per feet of cable. Secondly, there will be a reference list of most common type of copper wires, not only power wires but also the very thin diameters, included AWG and metric types. It's kinda finished in fact, as you can see.
In this example: 40 amps for the motor, reply by HeliPort is AWG12, after that I picked a AWG14 anyway at 40 amps, and you see the results in the second pic. The reference list in the second pic is shifted to the right, to show some more columns.

2) "electric connectors": gathering data right now to start that one, it should contain as much power-, servo- and balance-connectors as possible, with pics and specs. This could take a little while.

After that release 0.16 will be out, and all modules in the menu "Data" will be finished and fonctional. Then it will be time to start the last missing modules in the menu "Tools".
To be continued probably...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EW1.PNG
Views:	430
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	149923   Click image for larger version

Name:	EW2.PNG
Views:	433
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	149924  
Old 04-08-2010, 03:52 AM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I use WM 6.5.5 on my HTC HD2:

No [OK] icon.....

Old 04-08-2010, 04:14 AM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z900 View Post
I use WM 6.5.5 on my HTC HD2:

No [OK] icon.....
On your device: goto Start - Settings - System - Task Manager - Button: click "Enable Quick Menu on Today screen".
At least, that is how it works in Win Mobile 6.1, should be very similar in 6.5.5.
I can imitate that behavior exactly on my HTC HD.
I guess you don't have the Task Manager enabled in the today screen, which won't make it appear in some other programs also. This should give you the "OK" or "X" button".
Let me know how it ends, I can always add an extra menu in the main screen to make HeliPort close itself.
But Win Mobile is perfectly capable of ending any running program itself, if the task manger is on, something most people use as the default setting. I didn't have much time to look to the 6.5.5 features, running 6.1 myself, so I would appreciate some feedback on this.

Edit: no use in posting on "modelbouwforum.nl", I simply can't react on dozens of forums, the support thread is here, and only here. We even have swedish, norwegian and german forums where people talk about HeliPort, I'm even not a member at most, and besides, it would be imposible to know all these languages and find the time.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:40 AM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Trying to speed up things a bit now, summer is almost there, and just wanna go out and fly, not sit behind a PC.
So, I got the last data module almost finished yet: the connectors. Might even add the battery calculator also before the next release, which would only leave me the flight and battery logger to do.
Got 25 of the most common power, balance and servo connectors right now, with some specs. One thing is hard to find: the maximum amp rating of a Traxxas connector, sustained and short interval currents if possible. Anybody has a clue ? Some say up to a 100 amps, but looking to the size of it, I would be surprised, even if they are good quality.
Here's a pic of what I have collected so far, if any common (or less common) connector seems missing, just shout.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	conn.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	150257  
Old 04-10-2010, 12:11 PM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

OK, release 0.16 is ready, just some tests to do and some work on the manual and the website.
There are 3 new modules this time, the "electrical wires" module as showed above, and also the "connectors" module and the "battery calculator". This one estimates 80% as a safe discharge value, and will warn accordingly by changing from green to orange results when needed. I hope to get it published in a day or two.

Only the heli/flight logger and the battery logger remain, we're coming closer to version 1.00, I guess.

And then I'll stop working on it for a while, no time during summer. Gathering ideas for the long winter after that, lol.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	con_batcal.PNG
Views:	347
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	150403  
Old 04-12-2010, 01:24 AM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Found these - so called HXT. They basically look like keyed covers for bullet connectors, but then so are EC3. Available in 3.5mm and 4mm. They may be unique to HobbyKing/HobbyCity. Looks like HobbyKing is using a mixture of these and XT60 on their batteries

However, they look good to me, as I have always found bullets easy to solder, whereas Deans always seem more of a pain in the ass.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tor_(10pcs/set)
Helis: Belt-CP, Mini Titan, EXI 450, HK250-GT, HK500-GT, HK600-GT, mSR (all modified/customised). Quads: Q4, nQX, HK250, Custom built 560 Deadcat camera platform. Some planks. DX6i & DX9. And a boat & some HK surface controller thingy.
CyprusDave is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2010, 01:29 AM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Also checked the official Traxxas web site http://www.traxxas.com/products/acce..._connector.htm

They do not current rate their connectors, just say they are compatible with 12 gauge wire. So that would indicate about 40 amps?
Helis: Belt-CP, Mini Titan, EXI 450, HK250-GT, HK500-GT, HK600-GT, mSR (all modified/customised). Quads: Q4, nQX, HK250, Custom built 560 Deadcat camera platform. Some planks. DX6i & DX9. And a boat & some HK surface controller thingy.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:42 AM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Indeed Dave, the HXT connectors are bullet connectors, and seem to be only used by HK. I left them out for that reason, hoping people would have enough info with the bullet connectors. But I put the EC3 in HeliPort anyway, because they seem to be more of a separate type of connector, even when being bullet connectors in fact.

The Traxass connecors are a difficult story, by lack of information. 12AWG indeed, but the estimations in HeliPort are rather conservative for this type of wire, so I guess they can take some more power, don't really know. 40 amps continuously should absolutely be no problem, I was thinking they should be able to take even more, like around 70 amps, and more for short periods. Traxxas doesn't mention any hard specs, so I left them at "unknown", with only these numbers as a guess. What do you think ?

And thanks a lot for looking into this !

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	traxxas.PNG
Views:	345
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	150763  
Old 04-12-2010, 04:25 AM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey, no problem! I would agree with your estimate of the rating. After all, my understanding is that the standard ratings for 12 volt electrical systems are based on what would be safe in a car. So they take into account that it may be switched on for many hours, and the wiring may be metres in length, so it's very conservative. As we are talking about a few centimetres (therefore much less resistance overall) for maybe 10 minutes, a much higher current is OK.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in