Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters

Compass Helicopters Rage RC Hellicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 06:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Talking No more kick from the HW 70A soft start

Ok for those of you running the Hobbywing 70A HV end possibly all the other HW aircraft escs. Linking on from the program box thread.

I discovered that Turnigy has their own version of the software which contained a different firmware, Version 1.07 as opposed to 1.05 in the HobbyWing software.

Well I thought I'd try out the new firmware today and to my surprise, on spooling up, the heli no longer wanted to kick to the right.

So for those of you who have the programmer box, download the Turnigy version of the firmware here ->
Turnigy USB Link 162

I also decided to see if there was any changes to the gov, but seems about the same as before.

AMA#1058309
Mon_t is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2011, 06:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mon_t View Post
Ok for those of you running the Hobbywing 70A HV end possibly all the other HW aircraft escs. Linking on from the program box thread.

I discovered that Turnigy has their own version of the software which contained a different firmware, Version 1.07 as opposed to 1.05 in the HobbyWing software.

Well I thought I'd try out the new firmware today and to my surprise, on spooling up, the heli no longer wanted to kick to the right.

So for those of you who have the programmer box, download the Turnigy version of the firmware here ->
Turnigy USB Link 162

I also decided to see if there was any changes to the gov, but seems about the same as before.
Whos the man? headin there now.....
Old 05-26-2011, 07:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Turnigy USB Link 162

Nice find!
Old 05-26-2011, 07:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

thanks for letting us know.
I have one of the turnigy boxes . Will check to see which version I have.

My 2nd 6HV I've been flying the most now, seems to be pretty good, so I almost hate to mess with it.
Scorpion Power Systems/Batteries
Spartan RC
John Cook is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2011, 07:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

how do you update the firmware? do i need to use the program box? will this work with HW brand program box? Thanks
SJohn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2011, 08:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

On my way there but off topic I just had to let the big dawg run! Woot!
Finally trusting this thing with the ball links correctly installed... 9 min of big stall turns up to like maybe 300ft then dive to the deck and back again.... Not sure if I hit 90 like Alan but it was moving pretty darn good.... 80?

Team Compass baybee!!
Old 05-26-2011, 09:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJohn View Post
how do you update the firmware? do i need to use the program box? will this work with HW brand program box? Thanks
I want to know this too! So basically get the HW programming box and use the Turnigy FW, can anyone confirm and see the improved results?
Old 05-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Yes, I can confirm it, I tried it today and there was no longer a kick from the soft start on mine

AMA#1058309
Old 05-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Formerly BarnStormer

I am using the HW V1.63 USB link software. I have updated to 1.07 with no problem. I don't even have 1.05 listed in the version box. Only 1.06 and two 1.07's.

Are you updating the ESC firmware or just the box? If yes then what firmware are you updating the esc to?

Jason
Old 05-26-2011, 11:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yes, I can confirm it, I tried it today and there was no longer a kick from the soft start on mine
Hey Mon_t, I guess I'm just confused because of a comment above about using the Turnigy Box. You had the HW box when you did this, correct? I just want to make sure before I go buy it today. Thanks!
Old 05-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have the Turnigy Box, but I was using the HobbyWing software.
The HobbyWing software 1.63 would let me update the firmware to 1.05 only. The Box is using 1.06_100617

1.62 Turnigy software let me update the ESC not the 2 in 1 box to 1.07

But you need to update the ESC firmware not the 2 in 1 box firmware.
You do this by selecting "ESC speed controller" in the "Device" menu
Then go to the "Software" tab and look at the "Choice version".

As you can see in the image below, I'd already upgraded the firmware with the Turnigy version of the software to 1.07
Using the HobbyWing 1.63 software, you can see it only lets you choose 1.05.

AMA#1058309
Old 05-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool, thx for the reply. I'll buy the HW box then and use the Turnigy software to upgrade the ESC's FW.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnStormer View Post
I am using the HW V1.63 USB link software. I have updated to 1.07 with no problem. I don't even have 1.05 listed in the version box. Only 1.06 and two 1.07's.

Are you updating the ESC firmware or just the box? If yes then what firmware are you updating the esc to?

Jason
You may have a newer version of the hardware that was easier for HW to apply the new version to. My ESC dates back to last fall and the only version I get listed with 1.63 of the USB Link software is 1.05. I'll have to give the Turnigy software a shot.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Formerly BarnStormer

I found that using 1.63 link software my programing box was able to update to 1.07 but the ESC would only update to (and was only offered) 1.05.

When I installed Turnigy 1.62 link software it would not recognize my programing box, but it would see the ESC just fine, and offered 1.07 as an update to the ESC, so I updated with success!

The programing box will link with the ESC fine when not hooked up to the computer so I wonder why Turnigy 1.62 doesn't recognize it?

Jason
Old 05-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks Monteh!
I am going to update mine to Turnigy software! Might see of the Atom 500 has different software too
Old 05-28-2011, 08:33 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnStormer View Post
I found that using 1.63 link software my programing box was able to update to 1.07 but the ESC would only update to (and was only offered) 1.05.

When I installed Turnigy 1.62 link software it would not recognize my programing box, but it would see the ESC just fine, and offered 1.07 as an update to the ESC, so I updated with success!

The programing box will link with the ESC fine when not hooked up to the computer so I wonder why Turnigy 1.62 doesn't recognize it?

Jason

Yep finally got around to this..... Turnigy recognizes ESC but not the box.... fixing to go check the soft start out......
Old 05-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

WOW.... what a difference that makes!!! Starting to like this ESC now that it is normal!!!
Mon T, Mon T, Mon T

Just did about 6 spoolups in all 3 flight modes and it doesn't get any better than this. An odd thing on my end after the upgrade I went out and flicked off TH whhhhhhhhhhhhhr but no blade movement and I am like wtf? Motor turning backwards! Somehow polarity sense got changed so had to swap motor wires around be aware of that possibility.

Why the Turnigy software won't talk to the box is irrelevant I guess as long as it talks to ESC......
Old 05-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #18 (permalink)
Formerly BarnStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarpilot View Post
WOW.... what a difference that makes!!! Starting to like this ESC now that it is normal!!!
Mon T, Mon T, Mon T

Just did about 6 spoolups in all 3 flight modes and it doesn't get any better than this. An odd thing on my end after the upgrade I went out and flicked off TH whhhhhhhhhhhhhr but no blade movement and I am like wtf? Motor turning backwards! Somehow polarity sense got changed so had to swap motor wires around be aware of that possibility.

Why the Turnigy software won't talk to the box is irrelevant I guess as long as it talks to ESC......

3 packs yesterday and yes...... the soft start is awesome! My motor had to be reversed as well.

Thank you Mon T !!!!!

Jason
Old 05-28-2011, 10:54 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Good stuff fellas, yeah I'd totally forgotten about the reversed motor bit.

AMA#1058309
Old 05-28-2011, 01:04 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think have to get me one of those box
just to be sure which box should I buy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in