Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > Belt CP

Belt CP E-Sky Belt CP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2008, 04:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Scorpion Commander 60A V2 - FRIED!

Well, I finally got my Heli all set up and flying. I had put about 10 flights on this setup and everything was great. The tail was rock solid and very stable. I'm not good enough for 3D yet so I was only doing basic flight. I never even got the motor to full throttle and then all of the sudden the heli's power started pulsating then I smell burning plastic and the ESC has a small flame burning through the side. I thought this ESC was way overkill for this setup so I'm clueless as to why this happened. My local hobby store told me that it must have been a bad ESC and that there was no way this setup could have burned it up. What do you think could have caused this? I bought the scorpion -8 60A ESC combo from Readyheli so I'm going to try and have it replaced under the manufactures warranty. I didn't want to have to wait two weeks are more to get the Heli back in the air so I went ahead and picked up a ESC from my LHS. They sold me a Castle Creations Phoenix-25Amp and told me that this would have no problem running this setup ( I have my doubts though). I wanted to see what your thoughts we're before I burn up another ESC (I can always go get my money back if I don't hook it up).

Heli Specs:
Heli - EXI Kit (CNC Trex head and Tail)
Gyro - Logitech 2100T w/ 3500G
Tx / Rx - DX7 / 6100
Cyclic Servos - JR DS285
Motor - Scorpion - 8, 13T
ESC - Scorpion Commander 60A V2 Heli Edtion (built in 6V BEC)

Last edited by WTMorgan; 12-26-2008 at 11:29 PM..
WTMorgan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2008, 06:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Double post...

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=110063
marchambault is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2008, 07:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I would go at least for a 35Amp but I would be more comfortable with a 45Amp
Old 12-26-2008, 07:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchambault View Post

OMG! a double post. LMAO! Are you the one that complained to the moderators? You should really go do something productive. Usually people in the TREX 450 thread don't reply as fast so I like to through it in ESKY thread where I always seem to get an anwser.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ber60 View Post
I would go at least for a 35Amp but I would be more comfortable with a 45Amp
Here are the specs for the Scorpion - 8 motor:

Rm = 0.0241 Ohms
Io = 2.395 amps @ 10.5 volts
Kv = 3595
Weight = 76 grams, 2.68 ounces
Max Current = 45 amps for 1 minute
Shaft: 3.2mm

Any idea why this would have burnt the 60Amp? I see that it has a max current of 45amps for 1 minute.... What is the normal or average Amp draw for this motor?
Old 12-27-2008, 04:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That all depends on the load on the motor but for a good setup belt I doubt you will go over 35Amp
I think you just had some bad luck with the scorpion esc, check if the esc is still in warranty and have it changed if possible
Old 12-27-2008, 10:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ber60 View Post
That all depends on the load on the motor but for a good setup belt I doubt you will go over 35Amp
I think you just had some bad luck with the scorpion esc, check if the esc is still in warranty and have it changed if possible

So I guess for safe measure you would wan't an ESC that could handle the max output. which for the Scorpion - 8 is 45 Amp for 1 minute. Yea I'm already in the process of sending the Scorpion ESC back to the manufacturer.

So do you think the CC Phoneix 25Amp could handle the stock Belt CP motor? Do 'smyou think i need to use an external BEC? I'm not using the Belts motor anymore and I have a external BEC that I bought for the BELT that I'm not using. I'm running digital servos and the DX7 so I think I might need it.

Thanks Ber60 for the replys I appreciate the feedback.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes use the BEC especially for using Digi servos!
Old 12-29-2008, 02:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTMorgan View Post
So do you think the CC Phoneix 25Amp could handle the stock Belt CP motor? Do 'smyou think i need to use an external BEC? I'm not using the Belts motor anymore and I have a external BEC that I bought for the BELT that I'm not using. I'm running digital servos and the DX7 so I think I might need it.
Like Heli Yea! suggested use the external bec and the 25Amp CC is ok for the stock motor
Old 12-29-2008, 03:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Prior to seeing your post I had not seen anything about people having difficulties with Scorpion ESCs, I thought they were meant to be quality stuff. Yesterday though, when I go to start up my EXI, no beeps. Mhhh, I thought, is it armed? I'll risk the throttle anyway. As I push forward the motor starts, and all seems good, until from about mid throttle, no change in revs and no lift off.

Had to put my older CC45 ESC onto my EXI to get airbourne, and when testing the Scorpion on the Belt-CP stock motor and set up, exactly the same result, no beeps, but still armed but with insufficient power.

Checked soldering, which looked good anyway, former TV engineer, so damned well should be, but because I wanted to be absolutely sure I re-soldered the bullets anyway, which now look perfect. Variously unplugged each motor phase to see if I was operating on two, or which one was weak, if possible to tell, but nothing obvious.

Felt at the ESC for signs of overheating, through the shink wrap, and one small component, in no time flat, is too hot to touch, but of course I can't see what it is, and I don't know whether this is normal. I do however think it is a little odd for it to be so hot. Overall, the ESC heatsink gets warm, but stays less than hand hot so can continue to touch it, but it is not working as it should.

I reset the throttle range, minus any motor confirmation beeps, because it won't make any, just by following the procedure. It worked, because I set zero throttle, slightly shy of zero stick, to see if it made any difference when I pulled the stick lower, but it didn't. I can however more easily check at what position it arms, and if it thinks it is doing normal stuff, which it does, just no beeps and not enough power.

I am convinced it is a gonner, unless you guys have some good suggestions. Anyway, will find out what the returns procedure is today, as I have e-mailed the supplier with the symptoms.

I am very disappointed as it is only a few weeks old, and they are meant to be the dogs!
sutty is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2008, 04:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

For my it's also a first to hear problems with a scorpion esc, maybe a bad batch god thru the quality control
Old 12-29-2008, 12:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Who knows? I will say this though the Align ESC has been a dream come true! I've been running it almost every day for the last 3 months 2+ packs! More research is a must as I have not heard anything bad about the Scorpions.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm going to install the stock motor back into the heli and hook up the CC 25Amp and add the external BEC. Hopefully I can get the Scorpion ESC replaced under warranty.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in