Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Audacity

Audacity Audacity Pantera Helicopters Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2016, 12:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default P6e 8s Battery sizes

Hello all,

Recently purchased a complete airframe from the classifieds.

760kv Pmax with Quattro head and 600mm blades.

Coming with Pulse 35c 4500's.

Will be initially doing sport flight as I am coming from a 230s

What packs are you all running for capacity, weight, and fit?

Thanks in advance,

Chris
0nemildot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2016, 05:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Chris,

The batteries you have are OK for hovering and flying around but 35C is not really good enough for aggressive flying in my opinion. Not with a bigger bird. Believe me, after a 230S this is going to be an eye opening experience. Just be careful because you're dealing with a lot of horsepower and mass in comparison. Bottom line? This is not a toy. Respect it and you're in for a lot of fun.

As for batteries, think of it this way; if you compare a charged battery to a 5 gallon bucket full of water, the 35C is like draining it through a 1/2" hole. A great stream, but with a 1" hole (50C) you're going to see a significantly stronger stream 'and' it's also going to drain faster. Extend the analogy a little and a 70C is like having a 2" hole. If you're taking a camping shower and have the bucket suspended above you, that 1/2" hole is fine but if you're putting out a fire, you'd rather have the 2" hole.

Same thing with trying to drain electrons from a pack where the higher the C -rating, the better when you're making strong demands. The Quattro in particular loads the rotor head a lot more than a 2-blade rotor head and thus, especially benefits from a higher C-rating pack. Thus, without question, you're going to notice a significant difference between a 35C amd a 70C battery pack.

Note; packs these days are often rated with something like 35-70C where they liken a burst to 70C and the assumption is the 35C is continuous. This is just marketing, it's a 35C pack for everyday purposes. Everything depends on how you're going to drain the pack and even if you're not going to fly aggressive 3D, I bet you'll get a rush from lifting off and climbing like an express elevator and this is exactly the kind of maneuver where the difference between a 35C and a 70C pack is very telling.

All this said, you got an outstanding deal on that machine (I would have bought it back myself for that price had I known). Add to it the fact you received a battery pack makes it more like a gift. My advice? Go fly and count your blessings. Later, if you decide you need more packs, then just measure the space where you want to put the battery and buy accordingly because they always give dimensions.

Last thing, that motor is 720Kv.
AMA # 47381, IRCHA #745
jbeech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2016, 08:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 2 Glacier 4S 5000 mAh

I bought myself a pair of Glacier 4S 5000 mAh 45C packs and they have served me well so far. I built the stage II e-conversion with a 630 kV PMax motor using the "high mount" radio tray in the rear and the carbon fiber plate between the skids. I put one battery between the skids and the other underneath the front radio tray (that has been flipped upside down). This makes it easy to adjust the CG. The receiver wrap John sells is a great way to secure the batteries; attach the foam with some 3M 77 adhesive and use the velcro strap to hold the battery in place.

I don't know the all-up weight, but I can get about 8 minutes of gentle flying with the head rotating at 1600 rpm.

You will definitely find this machine to be a different animal if you've only flown a 230S. Even if it's not the most flashy thing out there, (who wants that anyway?) the Pantera is a great machine. Like John suggests, treat it with respect. The rotor doesn't discriminate; it will slice through you the same way it does air!
helihammer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2016, 11:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

John and KB3TUO,

Thanks for the insights. The fact that this is a big bird is not lost on me. I watched a Goblin 700 spool up at a LHS and my first thought was to hide behind something! The second thought was, I HAD to go bigger. Safety first and fun second.

I will take the advice to run higher C rated packs. Coming from planes and single packs, it never really dawned on me to pay close attention to the dimensions of the packs. Great, obvious suggestion.

And yes, I goofed on the motor kv.
0nemildot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in