Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 500X

Blade 500X Blade 500X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2015, 01:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default S300 v H310 What's the difference.

I converted my 500 3d to FBL today..... it flew awesome, but as others have found the S300 ailoron/pitch servos got hot... Elevator stayed cool.(half the work and not inside canopy)

What is going on here... what is the difference?

Has anyone ever had a S300 failure they put down to heat from going FBL?

I estimate they got to 70 - 80c (still quite touchable).

I have a set of Spektrum DS821's on order, but they get a bad rap for a weak spline, I'm tossing up whether to fit them or not... or to order H310's, or to find out if S300's can hack the heat.
James Recard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2015, 01:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been on the fence for while, I have a 3d and an X. I now have all the parts to convert but haven't yet. There is something to be said about being in control of the bird, as compared to the X. I had the same problem when I converted all my 450's, although those are much more fun to fly flybarless.

I got all 4 of the stock X servo's off a new part out bird on Ebay for $80.

That is the best part of the the Blade 500. Everyone seems to think they need to get rid of them because they are discontinued. I bought my 3d for $250 (with a zippy battery I have never used) as a bind and fly of facebook, then I bought an X as a RTF package on helifreak for $425 with 2 stock batteries and an MCPX! Sold off all the extra's I didn't need and now have only $275 into the X with 2 batteries.

Yes, I did spend some cash on the aluminum tail, grips, servo mount on both birds. But it was way below msrp because its discontinued! Between the 2 birds and all the upgrades and conversion parts I have very little more than the original value of 1 bird invested, and they are loaded with goodies!

I think the same seller has another set on Ebay now, or at least he did the other day.

I have read that a lot of people have done it without the servo's, but $80 is way less money than a rebuild!!!

"I do my best looking 3d when trying to avoid a crash!"
Jherison is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2015, 07:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Depends how hard you fly . . . I have an X and a 3D converted to an X. the 300's are a bit warmer after flying but I haven't had any trouble with them in over a year. I'm not a "3D" pilot though.

dja2424
dja2424 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2015, 10:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The stock servos for both the 500 3D and 500X are on sale or clearance now at Horizon $30 and Advantage Hobby $26. I just had a tail servo go bad on my 3D. Luckily started getting flaky and caught it before it cause a crash. I ordered the one for the X (H410) to replace it. Not the greatest servo ever made, especially at $45, but good enough at $30.
torpicaltrail is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2015, 03:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is why I think the upgrade was never a solid idea pushing a unit like 5003d into the X status. There was more then just a head to consider/blades etc..

I knew a guy that did this with his 5003d and he messaged me and told me the meltdown happened as well.
Mikado Logo 700/Synergy 516\Vbar Vcontrol Touch/Neo/RCHN #612 IRCHA#5289
Iskareot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2015, 11:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskareot View Post
This is why I think the upgrade was never a solid idea pushing a unit like 5003d into the X status. There was more then just a head to consider/blades etc..

I knew a guy that did this with his 5003d and he messaged me and told me the meltdown happened as well.
Your kidding right... your making out this is a really difficult process, the only problem is limited servo options, which applies to the x just as much as the 3d... not one person has reported servo failure due to suspected overheating of servos... I have since bought a thermal sensor gun and I intend to find out just how hot the s300's actually get.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default S300 v H310 What's the difference.

I ran the 3d servos on my x converted 500x for a year no problems. They would get hot but thats it.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 3D is getting it's movement from stick input, the servos on the X (310-410) are getting continuous input from the FBL unit-all servos with gyro input. the "10's" are supposedly capable of a slightly higher loading. The first 3D I had I converted to FBL and Horizon advised me not to use the 300 and 400's with the AR7200BX. Does that help you any?? Probably not, as I was only told it was highly recommended I use the same servos the stock X uses or I "could potentially" have a servo failure.
KSKen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2015, 11:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I need a similar answer. I broke my elevator servo, aren't the stock 'x' servos S310? Will it be fine putting a h310 in? As my other two are stock. ?
shep0479 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2015, 09:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 300/310 is the cyclics. H310 stock on X models.
KSKen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2015, 09:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Finally got back to flying this today, and armed myself with a temp sensor gun..... 4 flights back to back, lots of flips, rolls, fast forward, backward and piroing and big, fast figure 8's , current ambient 22c (72f)...

The hottest reading I could get was 59c (138f), right about where I'm thinking the armature would be... and leads me to believe my previous estimate of 70 to 80 c was pretty accurate for a hot day (35c ish).

I'm calling these servos adequate on a cool day,(at least for quite hard sports flying) but would probably get too hot on a hot day to fly back to back flights.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in