Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Ladies with Helis & Heli Widows

Ladies with Helis & Heli Widows Ladies who fly Helis and Wives of Heli Flyers. Guys, please leave the new threads to the ladies

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2015, 07:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Are women finer with the controls than men?

I don't mean to sound sexist but the few videos of women pilots I've seen, they ahve excellent control and it isn't hectic and all over the place

Jenny, for example has really good, controlled maneuvers whilst :

she has very silky smooth 3d. Shame it isn't in 60 fps, the creaminess of that flight would be amazing.
felixthemaster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2015, 08:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Try to ignore the commentary on the second video, it is quite cringe worthy. Also sounds like he is pretty patronizing.
felixthemaster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2016, 07:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

The second video was nice looking flying. I am an old dude and i like slow moves. 👍 keep on flying girls.
338federal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2016, 07:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthemaster View Post
Try to ignore the commentary on the second video, it is quite cringe worthy. Also sounds like he is pretty patronizing.
He said "Thats a pretty sexy fuselage, I am talking about the helicopter"

!? what an ass.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJMerkins View Post
He said "Thats a pretty sexy fuselage, I am talking about the helicopter"

!? what an ass.
I see what you did there.

JaggedEdge is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2016, 08:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree. There is a video of Simone (found it see below) that is awesome to watch. To be honest I would rather be flying like her than Kyle Stacy. Looks relaxing, fun and less chance to crash (and actually something feasible for me one day - the insane precision and speed of Kyle feels a natural gift rather than continued practice so feels unattainable). I also like Chris Reibert's style because of the same reasons. But yes seems like women like to not go so wild 3D at least the ones I can see on YouTube.

Simone Zunterer - Goblin 500 Sport (6 min 27 sec)
Podcast host Skids Up
toadiscoil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2016, 08:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am a male (and I know this is a lady's forum) but I thought I might add a comment that you may find worthy of discussion. The thread asks, "are woman finer with the controls then men."

In medical school we had a class on kinetics, which is the study of body motion. The most significant researched difference in the kinetics of men vs. woman is handwriting. Women are commonly noted to have more fluid writing styles. (i.e. less jagged)

Numerous studies, including computer modeling, have shown that women tend to use their entire arm in the writing process. The combination of multiple joints moving in synchrony creates a smoother and more precise handwriting.

Men, more often than not, write only with their wrist and fingers. Most men anchor their wrist on the writing surface and flex and extend it during the writing motion. The rest of their arm and elbow do not move. This creates a more jagged handwriting.

One would think that this would lend a good argument that a woman's finger motion is more fluid and precise.

But there is a counter argument. And I only offer it for polite discussion.

Men write smaller than most women. The details of men's handwriting, although jagged, tends to be higher resolution. Women make larger radii on their movements (which makes for graceful sweeping arcs), but includes less detail per inch.

So, what are your thoughts on this? Are the large sweeping maneuvers, which are so elegant to watch, a product of the gender difference in kinetics? Would the same woman fly as gracefully if she had to confine the same maneuvers to a tighter flying space?

And would the seemingly talented man look like a epileptic having a seizure if he was forced to fly bigger air?
danyl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2016, 08:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Maybe they're more fluid on the sticks but I don't think so. Seen men with flying styles across the board from smooth to smack, think it has more to do with the individual.

Slow, smooth flying takes talent but smacking on the edge of disaster takes razor sharp skills and reflexes. Things are happening much faster, takes more skillto smack imo although I prefer to watch smooth 3d videos mostly
Old 06-07-2016, 12:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadiscoil View Post
seems like women like to not go so wild 3D
Sample size is way too small.

It may be that women tend less toward adrenaline seeking than men (lower testosterone?) and therefore are less likely to engage in hard smack 3D. But we have no way of testing that theory. The number of females who fly at a high level is extremely small. So all we know is that within that small sample, they're not particularly aggressive pilots.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes skilled female pilots are very smooth on the sticks in general.

Look at most guys hand writing.

Then look at women's hand writing.

Case closed.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

As far as the question posed by the thread title, not at all. Women may have better judgement when it comes to endangering the heli.
flat tire is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2016, 06:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wish my girl would try it......
Old 06-08-2016, 05:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTboy53 View Post
Wish my girl would try it......
I wish I could get my husband to try it.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm sticking to my guns that skilled women pilots are smoother, in general.

Get most guys to try and draw 100 identical circles, or letters, or whatever. It will look sketchy and inconsistent most times. Most women would do a much better job.

This is just in general as I said don't forget. There are definitly exceptions to this rule.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEXAHYDRATE View Post
Get most guys to try and draw 100 identical circles, or letters, or whatever. It will look sketchy and inconsistent most times. Most women would do a much better job.
The problem is you have no evidence that this correlates to stick motions on a transmitter. danyl above provided a pretty reasonable explanation for why their writing is more flowy, which has to do with using their whole arm -- that distinction would not translate (at all) to transmitter sticks.

I rode sportbikes on the track and street for years, and rode with a number of women. They were all what I would describe as "smooth" in their riding. But they were also, without exception, more risk averse than the men they rode with, and appeared to progress more slowly even when they showed more natural ability. They also crashed a lot less.

I contend that the difference is just as likely to be owed to higher risk aversion as it is anything else.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:46 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

No evidence? I pinch and hold the sticks pretty much like I do with a pencil. Your wrist is still anchored to either a table or a transmitter. I don't know how much ground breaking scientific research it would take to prove that's significant.

But yes I agree woman are typically more conservative and take less risk. They do take self preservation into consideration more. Most of the "epic fail" videos we see are men epically failing lol.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Way more man are into adrenaline rush, I think that is the main difference. And testosterone makes us more agressive in general, so man usually prefer a smacking style.
Men can and fly super smooth if we want to.
I like to mix both, but when I want to chill, I'm flying all session at low rpm.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have been in this hobby flying planks and helis for around 45 years, God I can not guess how many people I had on buddy boxs. Woman hands down learn fast, (sorry guys) way faster then men, next is boys between 9 to 14 , then men, but the worst people to teach is belive it or not are pilot's, they know everything and don't listen, take them a while to land, Hard for then get when coming at you. In a real plane rights is all ways right, left is all ways left

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Cliff Chmiel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2016, 07:53 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Chmiel View Post
In a real plane rights is all ways right, left is all ways left
Unless you're an acro pilot. Then sometimes the earth moves left when you go right.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just had my 27-year old daughter ask if I had a heli she could try. I think she had flown an airplane in the sim at one point when I was flying planks more regularly, but that's her only experience.

We went out in the yard with the K110 and in one battery she was comfortable tail in and saying that the 6g mode felt too sluggish. Unfortunately she had to head off, but she asked if she could fly some more next time she's home for a visit. A great dad moment, and a testament to women being quick learners.
HateTheDrake and JDHeliAddict like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in