Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs550t1981 View Post
Anyone interested in an indoor flying site for the winter? I know a guy who had a big warehouse (think it use to be an ice rink) in E. Setauket that said it would be cool, if I can get a group of guys, to use it over the winter...... Let me know, I would like to go a few times this winter, maybe every weekend..... but I need more pilots....
Put me on that list... I'm down. Big enough for a 450?
BaconRaygun is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 04:43 AM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Still waiting to hear back. Will keep all posted.
gs550t1981 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 05:04 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

I might be interested as well.

VControl Phoenix Sim
cygnar23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ok, we got the ok, but, I don't know how things work with the ama stuff. He said it is a go as long as if there is any damage it will be covered and I know that the ama has the insurance coverage. Would any damages that occur from our flying be covered through the ama? Anyone know who I can talk to about that...... Let me know so we can get some indoor flying happening!! Thanks....
Old 12-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Ok, we got the ok, but, I don't know how things work with the ama stuff. He said it is a go as long as if there is any damage it will be covered and I know that the ama has the insurance coverage. Would any damages that occur from our flying be covered through the ama? Anyone know who I can talk to about that...... Let me know so we can get some indoor flying happening!! Thanks....
Excellent!

I'm sure you can call the AMA directly and they will connect you to someone that can help.

Now where exactly is this indoor site?
MIKADO VControl Touch | iCharger 406 Duo | Meanwell RSP-1500W-24V
CaptHal8HS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It is at 80 Comsewogue Rd in E. Setauket. I think it's number 80. But I gotta show him that the damages will be covered that is it. You said to call the ama? What do I ask them for. I do not know these things. never dealt with this stuff before, you know.... Also, spread the word. Talk to your friends. It's used as an indoor sports arena for kids so I am not sure what dates and times will be available yet... What days of the week and times will be good for everyone???
Thanks
Jeff
Old 12-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can do either day on the weekend as long as I know a few days before. Week nights are possible as well, again as long as I have a few days notice.

Kris

VControl Phoenix Sim
Old 12-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
It is at 80 Comsewogue Rd in E. Setauket. I think it's number 80. But I gotta show him that the damages will be covered that is it. You said to call the ama? What do I ask them for. I do not know these things. never dealt with this stuff before, you know.... Also, spread the word. Talk to your friends. It's used as an indoor sports arena for kids so I am not sure what dates and times will be available yet... What days of the week and times will be good for everyone???
Thanks
Jeff
Man, that's like :10 mins from my house!

You just call the AMA directly and tell them the situation. I'm sure they have an insurance compliance person that can guide you. Just have to be bold and call. Tell the lady who picks up your name and AMA number and the situation. They'll help.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:40 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Re: Looking for Lessons in Long Island, NY

Well, spring has sprung, the winter, indoor thing never panned out but I must say, the winter went by quick. I got my AMA for this year and probably will join the local club. I am really excited about the coming summer!!!
Jeff

I wish I were flyin'! Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:32 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

I joined Edgewood Flyers and have already been to the field twice! Nice bunch of guys. And the communication is very very good. A real cohesive club. It's the same distance from my house as the Coram field. Haven't heard anything from those guys.
I'm probably making it down on Saturday. PM me for more information if your interested.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:21 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Re: Looking for Lessons in Long Island, NY

Ok, cool, I'll pm you later, what you flying now hal? Still with the 450 or did you get anything new?

I wish I were flyin'! Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:56 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

After meeting up at the Coram field, I had met Marc (I forget his last name) and he helped me go over my 450. We trimmed it out the best we could. But it just wasn't that great a heli to learn on - in my opinion. Very light; very twitchy; the gyro was holding the tail well (he thought there was something wrong with it - gain issues or defect). Finally, I decided that I was going to sell the heli and the DX6i that it came with on eBay - which I did. I then got a DX8 and an mCPXv2 to learn my hovering orientations. The DX8 was a great investment; it's an awesome radio. The mCPXv2 is great for learning on as well because as a newbie how are you suppose to know how the simulator is suppose to feel? You don't. Nothing like the real thing - especially at the beginning. Tuning down the mCPXv2 for training was a smart thing to do - for me.
After a ton of research, I waited for the new 550E DFC to be released and bought one almost immediately. It took me about 36 man-hours to complete. I maiden'd it on March 23rd and it flew without a hitch. And it's so stable!!! I love it. I have a couple of things to tune - like gyro gain for FFF, but that's about it. The AR7200BX is an awesome receiver that is very cost effective.
I'll be down at the field Saturday morning. You can look for me by finding the guy with the new 550E DFC!
Old 04-03-2013, 07:34 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptHal8HS View Post
I joined Edgewood Flyers and have already been to the field twice! Nice bunch of guys. And the communication is very very good. A real cohesive club. It's the same distance from my house as the Coram field. Haven't heard anything from those guys.
I'm probably making it down on Saturday. PM me for more information if your interested.
How is big is the Heli group that fly there? Is it mostly planks? Also do they have slotted times for heli pilots or can anyone fly at any time? I was looking into the Coram group as it is Heli specific. The reason I ask is my Uncle is a plank guy who flies out of the Oyster Bay club and they only allow Helis from 6:30am to 10am and that's it.

VControl Phoenix Sim
Old 04-03-2013, 07:51 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

The heli population at EWF is large and it is growing. In fact, some of the "plank" flyers have converted over to heli's. I don't believe there to be any slotted times for flying heli's - nobody has mentioned anything like that to me and I have been asking a lot of questions to secretary Butch when I'm there about general flying and field etiquette.
I was part of the H.E.L.I. group out of Coram back int he 80's - can't believe they are still around! It's a nice field, but I am finding that the communication amongst the members is virtually non-existent. I renewed my membership and have yet to receive a call or email about club meetings or flying events. EWF is well organized and I have been to many meetings so far. I have started a Heli Friends group on Facebook to coordinate communication of my heli buddies that fly at the field and it I hope that will aid in coordinating who is going flying and when. Are you on Facebook? I know, I hate Facebook too. But I find it useful for certain things - this being one of them.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnar23 View Post
How is big is the Heli group that fly there? Is it mostly planks? Also do they have slotted times for heli pilots or can anyone fly at any time? I was looking into the Coram group as it is Heli specific. The reason I ask is my Uncle is a plank guy who flies out of the Oyster Bay club and they only allow Helis from 6:30am to 10am and that's it.
Heli group is getting bigger there, I joined this year after being at coram group about 3 years. The heli guys are almost always there every weekend good communication between them to see if there is anyone going, the only rule is no nitros before 10 am. Rarely see any airplaines fly on the weekend but I have only been there less than 10 times and haven't been at all this year but will start once it warms up ill be there every weekend.
xfactor6 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

My father and I would love to come down and check it out. Are you guys going to be down there this weekend? Would we be able to come down with our helis and try it out? We both have our AMA.

VControl Phoenix Sim
Old 04-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Looking for Lessons in Long Island, NY

Quote:
My father and I would love to come down and check it out. Are you guys going to be down there this weekend? Would we be able to come down with our helis and try it out? We both have our AMA.
Since I'm a new member I can't say for sure. But I think if you come down with your AMA cards and say that you are interested in joining the club, I'm sure they will let you fly. You can say that we chatted on the 'Freak and I suggested you come down to explore membership. I will most likely be there on Saturday morning flying my 550E DFC. Look for me!
Old 04-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like a plan.

I went on their website and sent them an email asking if it was ok for us to come down.

VControl Phoenix Sim
Old 04-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Looking for Lessons in Long Island, NY

Quote:
Sounds like a plan.

I went on their website and sent them an email asking if it was ok for us to come down.
That's was a good idea.
Hope to see you down at the flying field!
Old 04-03-2013, 10:50 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Cool, I am actually thinking about checking it out as well..... I also need help tuning my Ikon on my 550, lol. Still new to the flybarless and haven't a clue what I am doing, lol...... What is their website? I would really like to come up there on Saturday but I have to work. Sat. afternoons and Sundays I am free. How much is membership? Like everyone says the H.E.L.I. group does not seem as coordinated. Their field is literally right across the street from where I live which is a shame.... I don't know. I guess we will see once the season gets into full swing...
Jeff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in