Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Helicopter Safety

Helicopter Safety R/C Helicopter Safety

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2015, 02:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What NOT to do with your throttle

Hi all,

I was having issues with my 450X (long story, but I think detail is important). I crashed it, ordered parts, reassembled it, and took it out for a test. Turned out the pitch was inverted (up, negative pitch, down, positive pitch). I had just completed a lot of work, to include going back through the BX, so I started reading about what it could be.

I found a point where it said something about, if your pitch is reversed, then reverse the channel. In my naivete, I reversed the throttle. With the helicopter powered up on my kitchen bar. As SOON as I confirmed in the Tx I wanted to reverse it, I heard it start spooling up. I grabbed the skids to keep it somewhat under control, but I couldn't disconnect the battery one-handed, so I hit TH. It didn't respond. So I dropped the throttle. Now the bird is pushing down toward me. I'm wondering what the heck I'm going to do. If the gear were to have given way, I would have been injured.

Well, the tail slid off the bar, it turned sideways, and the main hit the bar, which reduced the main gear's gearing to confetti. Now the motor is spinning furiously, but the rotor isn't, so I unplugged the battery. I was lucky to get out of it without at least stitches.

Please learn from my mistake. TAKE YOUR BLADES OFF before working on it, at least. ALWAYS ask yourself are you sure before making major changes like reversing the throttle.

Thanks for reading!

Former heli pilot.

Last edited by KevinPJF; 04-19-2015 at 06:50 PM..
KevinPJF is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2015, 08:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow. Glad you didn't get hurt .
leadmonster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2015, 03:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

This makes me to think about the protective clothing like motor cyclist wear. At least a shield ready beside you for prop attacks when heli goes out of control.
trex- is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2015, 03:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the warning.

Most likely issue was that both blade grips were spun 180 degrees before you mounted the blades but good warning.

Another thing worth thinking about is the fail safe settings you have for your throttle. It is best checked by connecting a servo to your throttle channel so there is no danger of motor spinning. Then check that it goes to fully off when you turn off your transmitter.

One of the local clubs makes you demonstrate that your fail safes work. You would be surprised the number of people who thought their fail safes were safe but discover they're not.

Regards

Acrow
acrow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2015, 09:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

That's exactly what the problem was.

Former heli pilot.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I learned early on ( the hard way) to remove the main blades AND disconnect 1 or 2 of the motor leads before working on your heli. The servos still work but no spool up of the motor. A small cut on the arm from the tail blades convinced me of that.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

If I remember correctly, the motor can fire up (in a strange way) with just one of the 3 wires removed. I think it spins slowly though.

Blades off = Goood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trel View Post
I learned early on ( the hard way) to remove the main blades AND disconnect 1 or 2 of the motor leads before working on your heli. The servos still work but no spool up of the motor. A small cut on the arm from the tail blades convinced me of that.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

[QUOTE=KevinPJF;6440356]Hi all,

I was having issues with my 450X (long story, but I think detail is important). I crashed it, ordered parts, reassembled it, and took it out for a test. Turned out the pitch was inverted (up, negative pitch, down, positive pitch). I had just completed a lot of work, to include going back through the BX, so I started reading about what it could be.

I found a point where it said something about, if your pitch is reversed, then reverse the channel. In my naivete, I reversed the throttle. With the helicopter powered up on my kitchen bar. As SOON as I confirmed in the Tx I wanted to reverse it, I heard it start spooling up. I grabbed the skids to keep it somewhat under control, but I couldn't disconnect the battery one-handed, so I hit TH. It didn't respond. So I dropped the throttle. Now the bird is pushing down toward me. I'm wondering what the heck I'm going to do. If the gear were to have given way, I would have been injured.

Well, the tail slid off the bar, it turned sideways, and the main hit the bar, which reduced the main gear's gearing to confetti. Now the motor is spinning furiously, but the rotor isn't, so I unplugged the battery. I was lucky to get out of it without at least stitches.

Please learn from my mistake. TAKE YOUR BLADES OFF before working on it, at least. ALWAYS ask yourself are you sure before making major changes like reversing the throttle.

Thanks for reading![/QUOTE

when you hear that infamous sound grab the head and hold on to it for dear life. don't let it go let the motor smoke esc smoke or rip the wires out what ever you can do your
lucky it wasn't a 700
Kap'n Krunch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2015, 10:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap'n Krunch View Post
when you hear that infamous sound grab the head and hold on to it for dear life. don't let it go let the motor smoke esc smoke or rip the wires out what ever you can do your lucky it wasn't a 700
I was telling the story at the LHS and mentioned I was glad it wasn't a 700. But luck has nothing to do with that aspect. A li'l girl I've been married to for almost 30 years, who's named after a spice, has WAY more to do with it not being a 700 than luck.

Seriously though, it makes me glad I am taking it slow in the hobby (nano to a FP 200, to a CP 100, then 450, etc). While there is nothing inherently wrong with starting with a big bird, experiences like this can end much differently, as you pointed out.

Former heli pilot.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, glad you aren't seriously hurt. This thread is also an example of testing your failsafe early on in the setup process; correctly set, one could turn the radio off and have failsafe take over, thus avoiding trying to wrestle a spooling heli.

Yes, failsafe typically does take about two or three seconds to kick in, but at least it's safe from at least one standpoint.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My guess is this is probably the most common injury or near injury accident with helis. I've done it, setting up an ESC on a 550. It was only a spin up to maybe 20% but tore the skin off my knuckle and scared the hell out of me. Lesson learned on that one.

Pantera P5 50 RNFBL, Blade 130X, mcpx, Gaui X5 FES
flyingquisinart is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2015, 07:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I heard that same story from a couple people at the field. They always point out how the transmitter asked them whether they really wanna invert the throttle channel.

Maybe Tx suppliers may wanna implement a safety timeout. You know when you change display resolution or orientation on your computer and it reverts back to the previous setting if you don't confirm?
For the heli (or a plank for that matter), that would just move the motor for a second if you mess up, usually not enough to get airborne.

Also: always take main and tail blades off when messing with that stuff.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

this is why i hold the head on my 700 nitro machine with a firm grip every time i start it. I only had to witness one hot start on a 90 size machine (that's something youll never forget, a 90 size motor doing its hardest to rip out of your hands until the clutch fries or the main gear strips out) to hold on until im sure its not going to start to spool up. This has transferred down to my little 180 cfx even. I put my hand across the had and then connect the battery with throttle hold on. Just force of habit now.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19trax95 View Post
this is why i hold the head on my 700 nitro machine with a firm grip every time i start it. I only had to witness one hot start on a 90 size machine (that's something youll never forget, a 90 size motor doing its hardest to rip out of your hands until the clutch fries or the main gear strips out) to hold on until im sure its not going to start to spool up. This has transferred down to my little 180 cfx even. I put my hand across the had and then connect the battery with throttle hold on. Just force of habit now.
That works for a nitro or gas with a clutch. But a big electric would be a different story. Unlike internal combustion engines, electric motors have full torque at 0 rpm, and will increase torque until it either burns up something in the power train, or breaks loose....
TORCHS member, AMA 64878, Citizen 690
Mattinfla is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2015, 05:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattinfla View Post
That works for a nitro or gas with a clutch. But a big electric would be a different story. Unlike internal combustion engines, electric motors have full torque at 0 rpm, and will increase torque until it either burns up something in the power train, or breaks loose....
Some ESC's detect that they are being stopped. YGE will give a startup failure. My Kosmik has stopped because it was blocked once too.

Not every ESC does this of course, but some are actually able to detect something is going wrong and will stop if stopped long enough.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Glad there was no damage to you
I did something similar. After setting up a new heli, just before I went flying, I figured I needed to check the failsafe by turning off the TX. As the rotor started up. I had to pin it against the wall in our entryway. No damage, but sure taught me a lesson as well.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrow View Post
Thanks for the warning.

Most likely issue was that both blade grips were spun 180 degrees before you mounted the blades but good warning.

Another thing worth thinking about is the fail safe settings you have for your throttle. It is best checked by connecting a servo to your throttle channel so there is no danger of motor spinning. Then check that it goes to fully off when you turn off your transmitter.

One of the local clubs makes you demonstrate that your fail safes work. You would be surprised the number of people who thought their fail safes were safe but discover they're not.

Regards

Acrow
I test the fail safes on all my birds. Also, unplug the motor wires when you are working on the model. It only takes a second and can save you from an injury.

onlyfinehelis.com
mmickels is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2015, 03:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Something else that's important, that I'm sure you know now, but is important to point out:

All things equal, your transmitter settings should NOT change after replacing parts!

This isn't necessarily true if you are upgrading parts, but if you're just replacing broken stuff after a crash, you should have to mess with your TX settings.

So if you have to reverse something to get it working "right" after a rebuild, STOP and double check the mechanical setup.

And of course, always unplug one of the motor wires before your first bench test.

Blade 450x V2, Nano CPx, 120SR, mCX2, Scout, DX6i. Just assume I have others, I probably won't update this every time I get a new heli... ;-)
jbrandt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2015, 10:37 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

There should never be an option to reverse the throttle switch w/o going through at least 1 layer of confirmation. Like are you sure? are you sure again? then OK.

It's my responsibility to make sure it works and know what could go wrong despite what everyone else is saying because they do not see what I foresee.
AntDX316 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in