Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2016, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Time to upgrade?

I currently have just been flying nano sized Helis and my GF surprised me with the nano cps to introduce me to 3D flight. I currently have the older DX7 radio (purchased around 4years ago if not more) I noticed that the new spektrum radios are completely different. If I can get the hang of flying this new heli should I consider upgrading to the new gen2 radio? If I go up in class (450) will the DX6i be sufficient or should I go right to the DX8?
Chrisq0904 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2016, 03:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Your old DX7 will do you just fine. If you get to a point where you really want to upgrade, most folks would suggest a DX6 or DX8 over a DX6i.

If you are trying to operate within a modest budget, I would suggest investing in: simulator > larger heli > better Tx in that order. (Perhaps you already have the sim...)
Old 12-25-2016, 03:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer View Post
Your old DX7 will do you just fine. If you get to a point where you really want to upgrade, most folks would suggest a DX6 or DX8 over a DX6i.

If you are trying to operate within a modest budget, I would suggest investing in: simulator > larger heli > better Tx in that order. (Perhaps you already have the sim...)
I actually have both a simulator and a larger heli that I built a while ago but have not built up the courage to fly it yet. The reason for wanting to upgrade is because I keep having to re-bind to the nano cps almost every flight and I also can seem to get the program for that heli just right.
Old 12-25-2016, 07:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The programming in the latest gen transmitters is definitely easier! Here is the Spektrum comparison chart:
https://www.spektrumrc.com/Content/M...Comparison.pdf
IMO, the current version of the DX6 is worth the additional cost over the older DX6i, which has limited model memory and is also a pain to program. There are two basic philosophies on transmitters. (1) Buy the most transmitter you can afford; (2) buy exactly what you need, take good care of it, and sell it later if you find you need to upgrade. The DX6 fits (2) for where you are now and should be fine for your 450. (Although, depending on which FBL it has, you might need to use a full receiver rather than a sat to get it working on 6 channels.) If you don't mind spending more, you might consider the DX8 or DX9. Eight channels is enough to fly nearly anything.

The combination of the nano and sim will get you much more comfortable. If you haven't already discovered it, this is a really good training routine: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=531380
Old 12-26-2016, 07:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The programming in the latest gen transmitters is definitely easier! Here is the Spektrum comparison chart:
IMO, the current version of the DX6 is worth the additional cost over the older DX6i, which has limited model memory and is also a pain to program. There are two basic philosophies on transmitters. (1) Buy the most transmitter you can afford; (2) buy exactly what you need, take good care of it, and sell it later if you find you need to upgrade. The DX6 fits (2) for where you are now and should be fine for your 450. (Although, depending on which FBL it has, you might need to use a full receiver rather than a sat to get it working on 6 channels.) If you don't mind spending more, you might consider the DX8 or DX9. Eight channels is enough to fly nearly anything.

The combination of the nano and sim will get you much more comfortable. If you haven't already discovered it, this is a really good training routine: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=531380
Ok, looking at the price difference of my local hobby store between the dx6 and dx8 I'm looking at $100. Let's say money isn't an issue (just for this purchase of the 100 difference). Should I just go ahead and get the dx8 or save the 100? At what level of experience will I need more than 6 channels?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2016, 07:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Get the DX8 gen2. Sell you dx7. I upgraded from the DX8 to the DX8 gen2 and what a difference.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Modern FBL units are usually able to run all the control functions through 6 channels, so the main reason you would want more channels would be if you want to fly scale and have things like retracts (Airwolf?), lights, or other special activations.

The other case would be something like an older Trex with a 3GX FBL unit. These want to see the tail gain on Aux2, which is normally the 7th channel. I believe you can get around that by flying a full receiver rather than a satellite, and re-wiring a bit.

Not sure why the latest TREX helis are showing a 7-channel Tx required. They've switched from 3GX to MicroBeast, which gets the tail gain from channel 5 and shouldn't need more than 6 channels. I'll post something in the main forum to see what we can learn about that.

Which 450 do you have, and what FBL unit in it? That's the most important question when thinking about 6 channels vs. 7 or more.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here's a link to the 6- vs. 7- channel question for the latest Trex. Short answer is that 6 is still fine until you want to use Rescue, or if you want to fly a nitro/gasser with a governor. (You don't need an extra channel for eGov.)
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=768021

Whether you want to have rescue on your 450 is a personal question. I never think about it because I don't use it, but more guys do all the time, so that would be the most likely reason to go with the DX8!
Old 12-26-2016, 03:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I just got back from my local hobby store and the employee there explained all the major differences between the dx6 and dx8. He told me for my current needs I don't need anything more than a 6ch and told me what I would use the other channels for. Needless to say I ended up purchasing the dx8 just because I have the money currently available and don't want to say I should have gotten the dx8 later on. So now I'm officially a new dx8 owner and setup my cps and can instantly fly it better than what I had programmed on my old dx7.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2016, 08:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Grats! It's a nice Tx, and it's good to have an LHS where someone still knows what they are talking about!
Old 12-27-2016, 12:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I went and downloaded Heli x to try the free version since I see many people prefer that over the phoenix flight sim for use on a mac. I am using my old usb connector for my DX8 and it powers up but the Heli X program does not find the controller. Could the adapter be bad or am I doing something wrong?
Old 12-27-2016, 01:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

If your old cable came packaged with another sim, it likely won't work.

If you do an Amazon search for "USB flight simulator cable", most of the items that come up should work.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Definitely go with at least an 8 channel. It's more than just more channels, it gives you more functions to use. For instance I have a 9 channel that has 3 idle positions. A 6 channel will only have 2 positions. It is some of the little things that makes it so much nicer and room to grow. That is if or when you decide to upgrade.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I started (and still fly) with the original DX7 as well! It took me 2+ hours to figure out how to get the thing set up, as the manual doesn't really cover older TX's. I think I had to change the way Aux/Gyro switches were set up until I finally got the think to switch between auto-level and acro. Never got the "panic switch" set up, which I didn't really use since I just switched it to auto-level when I had trouble.

I still fly with DX7 personally, as I can creatively configure it to do pretty much anything I need it to, (the main flaw is not doing 11ms) but it's nice to see that you upgraded to the new DX8. That's an awesome transmitter, and definitely my next purchase should my DX7 die on me.
COSAS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2017, 12:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

I forgot about this training link and just tried it out and quickly realized how much I suck. Either way I see how it will make me a better pilot and will try to do some daily flying on the sim using that program.

Thank you!
Old 01-05-2017, 11:34 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solmanbandit View Post
Definitely go with at least an 8 channel. It's more than just more channels, it gives you more functions to use. For instance I have a 9 channel that has 3 idle positions. A 6 channel will only have 2 positions. It is some of the little things that makes it so much nicer and room to grow. That is if or when you decide to upgrade.
I know the OP has chosen the DX8 (great choice I think for longevity), but it is worth pointing out that the latest DX6 does actually have a 3 position flight mode switch and rescue can still be used with most FBL units with only 6 channels (usually by sharing the gyro channel). The older DX6i is far more limited with 2 position toggle switches etc.

DX8, BeastX, Heli-X, neXt
peteski is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2017, 11:36 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteski View Post
I know the OP has chosen the DX8 (great choice I think for longevity), but it is worth pointing out that the latest DX6 does actually have a 3 position flight mode switch and rescue can still be used with most FBL units with only 6 channels (usually by sharing the gyro channel). The older DX6i is far more limited with 2 position toggle switches etc.
Just to confirm, is that only with the dx6g3, or dx6g2 as well with the 3-position switches?
HateTheDrake is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2017, 11:53 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I believe they both do and only the 6i has a two position switch.

Idk, still using the old 6i myself. Less features=quicker/easier programming and there are ways around some of its shortcomings. It's great considering you can buy them used for $50-60 and I wouldn't hesitate to fly a 700class heli with it.

It's all what you're into, if you like bells and whistles, want rescue and some channels for gain banks or whatever you're better off getting a dx8 but if you want something cheap that works just fine for flying planks and helicopters the 6i can do it no problem.

If you know you're serious about the hobby it's best to pony up for all the tx you'll ever need right off the bat if you can afford it. Once I was up to 10 helis I wanted to upgrade but really didn't feel like redoing the setup on all of them so I never got one. Although for me it turned out to be a good thing since life happens and helis aren't much of a priority at all anymore. Went from 150 flights a month to 5 every couple/few months.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HateTheDrake View Post
Just to confirm, is that only with the dx6g3, or dx6g2 as well with the 3-position switches?
Yeah I believe so, although I must admit I've lost track of the number of DX6 variants The DX6 I was considering 2 years ago (g2 I presume as it had just been released at that point) certainly had 3-position switches. I chose the older DX8 g1 as it was on close-out sale at the time. Works great too and I expect the latest DX8 is excellent.

DX8, BeastX, Heli-X, neXt
peteski is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2017, 12:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't trust the the dx6i. I had one that went all screwy on multiple banks. Sent it in and they offered me a new one at a discounted price. I got it back and sold it. I have heard of other people having issues too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in