Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters

Other Makes and Models Helicopters Other makes and model Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 08:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Storm 450 - How Good?

Looking around the internet, I ran across the Storm 450 on helipal's website. Does anyone here own one? What's the build quality? How good is the tx? Are the parts interchangeable with a T-Rex 450?

Before anyone tells me the obvious about just buying a T-Rex instead. I want a RTF since this will be my first 450 heli and I don't want to build one.

Thanks
TexasC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

did u ever get a reply?
doc7592 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

No, apparently no one has ever heard of the Storm
Old 12-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Storm 450 is a fairly good "first cp 450 heli" with reasonable mechanics and electronics (the CF version is way better than the GF). It's focused more on stability and smoothness of flight than agility.

The CF version is capable of sports flying and some light 3D. Don't believe in that "3D Master" sticker on the canopy, though.

It has some space for improvements and upgrades, but too much upgrades will make it cost as much as a T-Rex, or even more. This is a heli to keep from the beginning to about 1~1.5 years, making some upgrades along the time. After that you will probably want a true T-Rex.

The advantage for a beginner is the lower initial and crash costs than the T-Rex, a better than average quality for a clone, and overall ease of maintenance due to its unique design.

Storm parts aren't easily found at the LHS, but can be bought online from Helipal or MyRcMart (Storm is branded as "RCX" there). I've never seen a shortage of Storm parts.

BTW, I have two Storm 450s. Now I'm reaching the point that's making me to consider trading them for a T-Rex 450 Sport V2 (two indeed, that will cost me some money), but I'm taking my time. Maybe 3~6 more months.

Cheers!

Not flying anything - model or full - since 2017!
ARM_Coder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the info
Old 03-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I purchased the Storm 450 3G, it is the first heli I have ever flown that was literally RTF out of the box. very stable and the parts are great quality, the only set back is that they are located in Hong Kong. Over all a great bird for the price.
GRIMX is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIMX View Post
I purchased the Storm 450 3G, it is the first heli I have ever flown that was literally RTF out of the box. very stable and the parts are great quality, the only set back is that they are located in Hong Kong. Over all a great bird for the price.
And the 3G has a big plus: the Storm with flybar uses the ancient rotorhead from the Trex 450 SE, this version uses a modern rotorhead.

Cheers!

Edit: despite my previous post, I still have the Storm helis, and I'm thinking to stick to them a bit longer!

Sent from my GT-I9000B using Tapatalk

Old 04-26-2012, 09:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My wife bought me one, the CF deluxe model with the crash kit, upgraded radio (futaba 6 ch), and aluminum case for our anniversary in Dec. My brother has been flying helis for several years and she noticed that I was interested in looking at videos etc.. on youtube. She didn't realize that, since I had never had my hands on a heli of ANY kind, I had no business with something like this.

However, here's the deal. The heli arived from Helipal with a bent feathering shaft right out of the (aluminum) box. It was supposed to be RTF which I would have assumed meant everything is ready to go but in reality, there was no locktite on any of the machine screws (including the Jesus bolt) and many of the screws were actually loose. The bearing and bolt flew out of the seesaw on the first run up causing it to pitch left and crash taking out the tail boom, main shaft, feathering shaft, tail shaft, and stripping the rudder servo. While repairing it I found the screws in the tail assembly were also all loose.

Bottom line is that while this is an exceptionally well designed clone, the workmanship during assembly leaves MUCH to be desired. Yesterday, while trying to get it in the air again, the GYRO went wacky and completely took control away from the radio. This is the second GYRO since the first one quit operating the tail servo all together. I've really just about had it with this thing. Over $600 in the pooper!!
Dex Olson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Olson View Post
My wife bought me one, the CF deluxe model with the crash kit, upgraded radio (futaba 6 ch), and aluminum case for our anniversary in Dec. My brother has been flying helis for several years and she noticed that I was interested in looking at videos etc.. on youtube. She didn't realize that, since I had never had my hands on a heli of ANY kind, I had no business with something like this.

However, here's the deal. The heli arived from Helipal with a bent feathering shaft right out of the (aluminum) box. It was supposed to be RTF which I would have assumed meant everything is ready to go but in reality, there was no locktite on any of the machine screws (including the Jesus bolt) and many of the screws were actually loose. The bearing and bolt flew out of the seesaw on the first run up causing it to pitch left and crash taking out the tail boom, main shaft, feathering shaft, tail shaft, and stripping the rudder servo. While repairing it I found the screws in the tail assembly were also all loose.

Bottom line is that while this is an exceptionally well designed clone, the workmanship during assembly leaves MUCH to be desired. Yesterday, while trying to get it in the air again, the GYRO went wacky and completely took control away from the radio. This is the second GYRO since the first one quit operating the tail servo all together. I've really just about had it with this thing. Over $600 in the pooper!!
Looks like the workmanship at Helipal has been flaky lately. That said, nowadays I don't trust any RTF heli before I do a thorough inspection.

What I find redeeming in the Storm is its clever design and overall mechanical quality, my complaints are that in the flyberred edition the feathering shaft is too thin, and the supplied gyro is a POS.

For one that likes the design, at myrcmart.com you can find barebone kits and parts far cheaper than at Helipal. They are branded "Rcx" instead of Storm, but are the same stuff.

Cheers!

Sent from my GT-I9000B using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-24-2012, 09:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Storm 450 3g deluxe edition

I have had plenty of quality issues with exheli there products and service.Now I just got the Storm 450 3g deluxe flybarless in the aluminum case.I checked it over no issues with loose anything.started flying right away.I got from helipal and asked about 30 questions before purchase, they responded to everything in less then 24hrs.Most importantly i recieved it from hongkong in 9 days with regular shipping.It is an awesome heli all high quality parts especially the helicox gyro.You cannot beat the quality and price,but most important the customer service.I just wish they would open a shop in the usa to avoid those high shipping fees.As for ex-heli bailey needs to stop posting videos on u-tube and concentrate on product quality and service.
Thank my first post
mir2069 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a storm 450 CF FBL with the helicox unit.

Its pretty stable in my opinion. I have no regrets.

Here goes a small video when I was setting up 3g unit on a windy day.

Tracks pretty well and heli feels very locked in.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxfctpUILG4[/ame]

Cheerz!
w4llet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM_Coder View Post
Storm 450 is a fairly good "first cp 450 heli" with reasonable mechanics and electronics (the CF version is way better than the GF). It's focused more on stability and smoothness of flight than agility.

The CF version is capable of sports flying and some light 3D. Don't believe in that "3D Master" sticker on the canopy, though.

It has some space for improvements and upgrades, but too much upgrades will make it cost as much as a T-Rex, or even more. This is a heli to keep from the beginning to about 1~1.5 years, making some upgrades along the time. After that you will probably want a true T-Rex.

The advantage for a beginner is the lower initial and crash costs than the T-Rex, a better than average quality for a clone, and overall ease of maintenance due to its unique design.

Storm parts aren't easily found at the LHS, but can be bought online from Helipal or MyRcMart (Storm is branded as "RCX" there). I've never seen a shortage of Storm parts.

BTW, I have two Storm 450s. Now I'm reaching the point that's making me to consider trading them for a T-Rex 450 Sport V2 (two indeed, that will cost me some money), but I'm taking my time. Maybe 3~6 more months.

Cheers!
hello I would like to help me convert my storm 6s batteries
know of some batteries that fit the storm
also I have a mini titan helicopter e325se which I would like to convert it to 6s do not know if the weight of most concern him in flight greetings
and by
jac_2011 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 01:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

1200 or 1300mah 6s batteries will work.
w4llet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 08:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm having a hard time trying to sell my twin Storms here in Brazil... No, they aren't bad, in fact I think the Storm is a very underrated 450. But I'm moving to bigger helis so I no longer want to fly 450s...

Cheers!

Old 03-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile

Hi,

I am a new guy just getting started with Helicopters and I did purchase the Storm 450 RTF GF Helicopter. I am currently flying a CX4 RTF Coaxial beginner Helicopter and will stay with it until I am completely sure that I am ready for the Storm 450. I am looking forward to any help along the way that I may get from you. Forgot! I also purchased the Storm 450 Bare Bones CF kit to use for parts if needed!

Thanks! Any help from you will be greatly appreciated...
twwd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by twwd View Post
Hi,

I am a new guy just getting started with Helicopters and I did purchase the Storm 450 RTF GF Helicopter. I am currently flying a CX4 RTF Coaxial beginner Helicopter and will stay with it until I am completely sure that I am ready for the Storm 450. I am looking forward to any help along the way that I may get from you. Forgot! I also purchased the Storm 450 Bare Bones CF kit to use for parts if needed!

Thanks! Any help from you will be greatly appreciated...
Welcome to the club! You are entering a hobby that's very demanding from you, but very rewarding as well. No pain, no gain is the perfect saying about mastering RC helicopters.

Transitioning from a coaxial to a 450 CP heli is not as straightforward as we'd like. I also started with a coax Walkera and moved to a Storm 450 GF like yours. It's a night and day difference:

- Coax helis are very stable because they self-level and never attain a high speed. CP helis, otherwise, don't self level and can zip around very fast.

- Coax can be flown indoors. Never try it with a 450.

- You can crash a coax and most of the times it will hold for another flight. Not the case of a 450 because it's heavier and much more powerful. And quite dangerous too.

I'm not trying do discourage you, to the contrary. Get a good simulator, a training gear for the Storm, and if possible, personal advice from a experienced hobbyist. Ask him to check the heli, to make sure it's in good shape.

In short, to succeed in this hobby, you will need:

- Heli(s) and batteries
- A decent charger
- Tools
- Spare parts
- A workbench (true or improvised)
- Simulator
- A safe place to fly
- Many, many hours of stick time
- Lots of study, HF is a great place to get lots of info
- Discipline and patience
- Perseverance
- Etc

Cheers!

Old 05-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ARM_Coder

I purchased a Storm 450 from Helipal.com. Intially I chose Mode 1 Transmitter (right throttle) when ordering and it arrived with binding done in the factory. I then got the Tx replaced to a Mode 2 (left throttle) which I had to bind myself with instructions from Helipal. The Tx is a WTH07 and not a storm. I am a novice having only 3 months of flying experience with very simple helis. I do not know how to set up the Tx for flying the Storm. An initial clumsy attempt ended up with a crash resulting in some damage as the heli just took off like a bullet sideways with the balance bar wrapping around the main blades. I have a bare bone kit to harvest spare parts from. My problem is how do I set up the Tx for safe flying. Please help.

Raj
raj1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Storm 450 - How Good?

Setting up the radio for a Storm 450 is quite straightforward, as this heli is just a classic flybarred CCPM-120 machine.

There are lots of tutorials about setting up a flybarred Trex 450, Google and Youtube are your friends.

Cheers!

Enviado de meu GT-I9300 usando o Tapatalk 2

Old 01-31-2020, 06:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

A friend just gave me one of these that has been crashed. I'm not having luck finding the parts online. My original Blade 400 is also in need of parts. My question is whether it might be better to buy a new kit to switch the electronics over to. And if so, which kit? I haven't flown helis in several years, and have to keep it as cheap as possible. So I'd appreciate any advice at all.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Stitch400 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in