Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos > MSH Mini Protos

MSH Mini Protos MSH Mini Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 10:02 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadDuke View Post
I'm looking for a smackable, nimble indoor machine... Would the stock 3S setup fit that bill?
Well, stock 3S would, although you will want to go 4S for more usable air time. Stretch / 350's on 3S is not very good choice, batteries get chewed up quickly. 4S with 2010kV motor is great. If you want the ultimate performace, go 6S stretch and the 6S motor.
Stretch kit gives you much better tail authority. If you want to fly 325 blades, you'll want to bump up HS, so tail will hold even better.
RCHN#233 | Lynx Heli Innovations Team
Goblin 700
Carbon |
Protos Max | Goblin 570
baui2000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2011, 12:33 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

just came back from test flight, it seems to work very well with the 325 blades, a bit twitchy and responsive, you do lose a bit of tail authority. but should be ok if you notch up the rpm a bit. Can't really say that much since I'm not a hardcore 3d flyer. but it seems that I'm gonna use both of my blades depends on what kind of flying I'm doin. cheers !!
hakiem is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by baui2000 View Post
Well, stock 3S would, although you will want to go 4S for more usable air time. Stretch / 350's on 3S is not very good choice, batteries get chewed up quickly. 4S with 2010kV motor is great. If you want the ultimate performace, go 6S stretch and the 6S motor.
Stretch kit gives you much better tail authority. If you want to fly 325 blades, you'll want to bump up HS, so tail will hold even better.
So you are saying that stretch with 3S packs, 325 blades, and a high headspeed (3400-3500) is the best choice for indoor?

I have a Protos 500 but I need a 325mm machine for indoor flying in the 4 month winter we have.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I have seen one of the very good flyers out here smack a stock 3s mini around in our indoor venue and it looked great. He is a field rep for the MSH importers out here and can really fly. I agree that if you are going to fly it with the 350 blades then 4s is a better setup.

If you run the stretch with 325 blades your tail authority should be better than stock even before you up the headspeed. The main difference if you run with 4s, stretch and 325mm blades is the heli will be a bit heavier (with a higher disc loading) but as the Mini P is light to start with you probably won't be any heavier than the other 450's and it will be a powerhouse on 4s.

//Dennis.
Thunder Fighter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2011, 03:03 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Dennis said it
I didn't get around to try out 325's on my stretch yesterday. Before I could throw them on, my 14T pinion started breaking and went off the lower bearing Well, that much for 14T pinions. I need to wait for my 2010kV motor to come.
Goblin 700
Carbon |
Protos Max | Goblin 570
Old 08-27-2011, 04:04 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Fighter View Post
I have seen one of the very good flyers out here smack a stock 3s mini around in our indoor venue and it looked great. He is a field rep for the MSH importers out here and can really fly. I agree that if you are going to fly it with the 350 blades then 4s is a better setup.

If you run the stretch with 325 blades your tail authority should be better than stock even before you up the headspeed. The main difference if you run with 4s, stretch and 325mm blades is the heli will be a bit heavier (with a higher disc loading) but as the Mini P is light to start with you probably won't be any heavier than the other 450's and it will be a powerhouse on 4s.

//Dennis.
thanks for the input Dennis, you give me more confident when using a 325 blades with a stretch.
hakiem is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2011, 05:49 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had one of the good pilots belt mine around today and started to get the Skookum setup more locked in. It was fun watching him piroflip, inverted funnel, etc with it. Only problem was he ran through the pack much faster than me so after his 5 minutes I flew another minute and a bit and hit LVC on the ESC. Unfortunately in getting it down fast I clipped the tail fin on the edge of the concrete pad and snapped it. No other damage and it was the last pack of the day so no issue.

//Dennis.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:55 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Good that you didn't kill anything else
Dennis, you've got 14T pinion on, right? I'm asking, because mine cracked yesterday with 12 flights on it Any problem with yours?
Goblin 700
Carbon |
Protos Max | Goblin 570
Old 08-27-2011, 07:49 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine cracked in half on the second flight and I needed to auto the heli in. I have the 16 tooth on now and running a low throttle curve.

//Dennis.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello
The 14 t pinion witch you broke was the new pinion ??
Its broke with the the 2010 KV or the 2580 KV Motor ?
325 mm blade or 350 ?
Thanks
renaudrenaud is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2011, 12:23 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks Dennis, I'll do the same since I've still got the 16T pinion.

Mine broke with 2580kV motor (but very low throttle settings) on 350 blades. I know of people here on HF who lost their 14T pinions with 325 blades, just do a search.
Goblin 700
Carbon |
Protos Max | Goblin 570
Old 08-27-2011, 12:38 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

I did..
somebody broke it in 1 flight and other still flying with the 14 after 350 fly...

I will get mine soon for the 2010 KV in 4S and 325 mm blades..
I already use the 16 but its to much... Motor is very hot and fly time don't go over 4,5 mn... in 2200 4 s

I think its important to glue the two bearing up and down in the 14 pinion.. The glue on the bearing will consolidate the pignon for sure...
renaudrenaud is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine was on 4s, 2010 motor and 350 blades when it broke, headspeed was only 2800.

//Dennis.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So, to the topic we talked about earlier. I tried my stretched mini with 2580kV motor, 15T pinion on 4S with 325mm SAB blades that came in the kit. I ran 2900 and 3400RPM.

It's not as stable in FFF as with 350mm Radix FBL. You can feel the improvement in tail performance though. Tail feels much more locked in and more natural in piros. I would recommend stretching the mini even if you want to keep stock setup and 325mm blades.
Goblin 700
Carbon |
Protos Max | Goblin 570
Old 09-03-2011, 11:07 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just got out the Radix 325's to put on for the indoor tonight.

//Dennis.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

So I flew at the indoor tonight and tried both the 350 SAB's and some old 325 Radix Standard blades (not FBL). I found I preferred the 325's for the indoor. The 350's give a bit more float but having the higher disk loading of the 325's made it easier to fly tight and keep the heli in a smaller space. I didn't do any 3D, some nose in funnels were as aggressive as I got with it but it wasn't any less stable with the 325's as it wasn't getting blown by any wind. I would think this Is a great indoor 3d setup, 4s, stretch but with 325 blades, I will keep the 350's for outdoor.

//Dennis.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:58 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

True, I forgot to mention that. Radix FBL 350's were a bit more difficult to steer through tight turns indoors. On the other hand, they let me get away with much steeper bank angles and still kept the heli level without major collective changes.
Goblin 700
Carbon |
Protos Max | Goblin 570
Old 09-06-2011, 05:25 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just received my Mini-P ! Waiting for the stretch kit then I'm gonna build it ^^ Can't wait to try it !
coom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2011, 01:56 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default .

great build thread Dennis!

just now read through it-good stuff. I hadn't considered spraying the belt with silicone before installing...last belt drive heli I had was a trex 500 which I had to spray before every flying session, esp in wintertime

Herky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2011, 03:26 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Would you recommend stretching on 4S? It seems hard on the power system / batteries on 325s... does running lower head speed even out the added draw of swinging longer blades?

Seeing as there seems to be issues with the 14T pinion, is the 15T the way to go?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in