Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Going back to basics.

I've been flying the helicopter for about a year now. AFter reading several threads on here I have decided to go back to basics, and start from the beginning, I can do loops rolls,flips, stall turns and inverted nose in hovering and a rough backwards circuit. APart from the nose in hovering I don't always feel like I'm 100 percent in control. SO i have stopped doing all that and am now concentrating on hovering, spent 2 packs today just hovering upright tail in, to side, to nose in. I'M gonna start doing slow piros whilst hovering, then work on the same but inverted. Hopefully this will give me a lot more control when I get back to flipping etc. Don't know why but I really enjoyed just hovering, maybe it was because I was having to concentrate or the fact I held a solid nose in hover.
peter2482 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2011, 01:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

yup you'll find slow and controlled maneuvars are much harder than fast sloppy ones. getting back to the basics will definitely improve your overall abilities. If you are already doing inverted "flight" really make sure to nail down stationary slow piros inverted before going too much further.
RĒzĒ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 02:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks raza. YOur threads amongst others persuaded me to go back and start again. I can only do an inverted nose in hover in real life.on the sim I can do inverted circuits. Must try to piro both ways, as I can only do clockwise with any degree of comfort.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i struggle with the counter clockwise circuits and piros. they will be the next things I start working on at the indoor flying sessions now. I can do clean figures in one direction only i was able to do either direction until the end of last year, then the indoor stopped for a while and I didn't get much air time. i have been spending the last 6 months now just doing these basic maneuvers as the only time I get to fly is every two weeks at the indoor session.
marty_one is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2011, 09:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

im not gettling a lot of real flight time at the minute either, with the weather being so cold, mostly on the sim at the minute.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm a RC heli newbie. I have now logged 3 hrs on my TREX 250...all in the hover, but my overall precision is getting much better. I'm not terribly skilled yet as I'm only currently working at swinging the tail +/- 90 degrees from left side in to right side in (and vice versa). For me, improving has been a steady process of setting measurable goals, and steadily pushing my limits in a controlled fashion as they are reached.

I currently do my flying in a hangar with some badminton court lines painted on the floor. I use the lines to cue my progress.

With the right set of visual cues for performance measurement you can make any task arbitrarily difficult.

For example,
- a slow pirrouette around the CG of the heli within a 1 ft circle. No problem, then try
- pirrouettes about the CG while travelling down a painted line. When that's no problem try
- pirrouettes about the nose while travelling down a line (i.e. the nose tracks perfectly along the line)...next try doing it about the tail. If that's still too easy, try:
- adding a vertical component...do the pirrouettes along the line but with a 'frog hop' landing everytime the nose is pointed down the line

I won't take credit for these ideas. I got them from full size helicopter test pilots (and have been in the aircraft while they were demonstrated to me)...but I think the concepts can be applied to RC. I hope to be able to do some of that stuff someday. But for now, I'll just keep working my way towards a confident nose in hover.

Cheers

Kris
drfrankencopter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2011, 11:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Managed to get out and do another 2 packs today, nothing but hovering again, couldnt seem to hold a nose in hover at all today, it was a bit cold and windy out. it was only 5 degress. Side in hovers were ok, but nose in seemed impossible, kept putting in the wrong control in.though I can do all day on the sim. I think I must be overthinking it, and getting a mental block. Tried to hover and piro slowly as well. That wasn't good either. Back to sim, until the next warmish day. Lol.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

all I can suggest is to keep at it. once you get to the point where you are hovering/flying without thinking about the controls it actually becomes fun and from my experience thats when your really start to progress the most. after nearly six months of mishaps last year im back to the point where I am actually having fun and starting to fly outdoors a little again. most of my flying has been at indoor fun fly sessions.
marty_one is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 02:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Congrats, Peter on making this decision. You will spend less money on crashing. Here's a simple pattern that I call "sunburst" which exercises both left / right turns. I do this fwd, side, bkwd, other side. Ofcourse, you can do this non-inverted(just showing off). Try it?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NezVcRwG6E&hd=1[/ame]
slamdance is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in