Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 800 Class Helicopters

800 Class Helicopters 800 Class Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Align Trex Trekker 800 Lemon

Align trekker 800 lemon
For anyone even thinking of buying this lemon beware. It's a stretched 700 that has numerous issues. I have 30 or so flights on it and here's the scoop.

1. The OWB block is made of cheap aluminum. Not only did the OWB slip but the threads that hold the main gear stripped out on tightening! To make matters worse, the freakin replacement part (90.00) also had the threads stripped. Had to spring for 50.00 and buy the quality KDE replacement.

2. The stock white gears (mainly the main) started disintegrating due to the added torque of the pinion. The front TT and rear TT developed slop. Now keep in mind that Align has been offering " upgraded gears" at a COST! So to be clear, they identify a problem in their design but want to bang you even more money to correct their flaw....lol. Now mind you this is a 1800.00 kit!

3. The 700 sized head and dampers can't handle the loads. I and others have gone through several sets of dampers and replaced the feathering shaft sleeve with less than 50 flights! This should NOT be a PM item period. KDE is working on anew head as I type.

There is motor bog but I didn't expect scorpion performance. Now what kills me is that I have been reading how Align now (realizing the fact that you can't just stretch a 700 into an 800) is claiming that this is a CAMERA platform! Not so Charlie, the orig. marketing said camera/ 3d dfc performance. Even says it on my canopy.....lol.

Before you think about buying this thing, read the threads on other forums. I'm not just one disgruntled customer. There are others with exactly the same issues. There's a reason why the trekker 800 sales are dismal. Oh, I forgot. You can't stick small 700 size skids on an 800 either unless you want to use up the inventory of the 700. For 1800.00 we should expect more. I should have listened to my friend and got a Diablo or TDR. Buyer beware!
hidaven is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks as if align may now have 2 unfruitfull machines. Their smallest bird (T-100) and now their largest. Good to know info, thanks for the post.
Dejavu*Xion is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 08:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Imagine, you have a company that found a problem with the stock white non delrin gears on the 700 and quickly produced better quality ones, then went out and created a much bigger bird using the SAME sub standard garbage on the newer design? Finally, they don't offer the needed upgrades free of charge? Pathetic.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

hidaven is making a blank statement about align and its products, if you like to see the truth look my name up on any and all the post and you will see not what i have to say but you the users have to say from there you make up your mind about the truth.

Dino
Old 01-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

your words

hidaven
Registered Users

Having built both, the 700 and 800, regardless of what it was intended for can do 3d. Remember this is a BIG heli and is not going to be as tossable as a smaller high powered smaller bladed heli. This 800 is no slouch and with a few mods can hold its own just fine. There are quite a few videos showing the capabilities as well as first hand account. Now if your looking for all out balls to the walls, you can drop in a 395 kv motor possibly rewinding and run it on 14s. It would then become a 3d beast and would rip up the sky. I see no reason thus far why the frame and mechanics would not hold up. Again there are a few mods you need to do but they are simple drop in items. It's a big whopping heli and a great deal for the price.
So get the additional frame supports, swap out that POS OWB block for the KDE version, swap out the cheap white main gear for the new improved black version and IMO, jump up to the cc160 unless you want another esc. IMO, I'd rather have a a stretched 700 than the porky logo 800 which seems to be less nimble due to the weight
Old 01-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

The uppgrade/fix for the t-rex 700 is not beacause of white gear stripping, this is because of the stepped down tail shaft that snap in flight. Now the uppgrade part come with black gear, but that was not necessary. It's still unclear what is the cause of the tail snapping, but it happen with the higher tail ratio, it's resonance at X RPM or simply too high rpm, it's not determined.

Unless you want to cut wood with your tail, the white TT gear on the T-rex700 are up to the task since the release of this bird (nitro & electric) and I never heard of a recurrent stripping TT gear problem on the t-rex 700, the 600 have this problem however, and I see folks stretching it to 700, what a mistake.... but that's another story.

Now to the 800, I would not go as far as to say it's a lemon, but I have to agree with you that this is not a real 800 but in fact a stretched 700, underpowered, a to small head, a one way bearing that is already problematic on the 700, etc... The only mistake from Align with this 800 is imho what it's designed for, they should have clearly said ''this is not for 3D''.

I think that most of the 700 owner already know what this 800 is.
martin_ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Show me the frame set that the trekker uses off a currant 700 it doesn't also this includes the V2E the 800 is much taller and uses thicker frames and the lay out of the servos is very different for the V2 E and the DFC E, the boom for the 800 is a much heaver wall thickness to support the batteries that need to be mounted on the boom when used at a camera ship. Yes the head and tail parts are the same as the 700E/N proven design so how is this a stretched 700
Old 01-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

i have about 30 flights on mine with no issues so far, however i did upgrade with the kde one-way bearing mount. I pound on it pretty hard. Love it, and yes you can bog the motor, but with collective management fliys freakin fantastic!!!
love it!
xlpro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

what size and type of blades and how much pitch are you using and what FDL just like to see your setup thanks Dino
Old 01-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

setup as follows:
vbar 5.3
stock align 800mm blades
+-12.5 degrees pitch
stock align motor
castle ice 120 gov mode peaking at 125 amps
idle up2 1925rpm unloaded
gens ace 60c 5300mah
flight time 4:15
Old 01-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

i would back off the pitch some with 800 blades i run 13.5 with 690s, that will help stop or limit the bogging of the motor just my opinion
Old 01-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Check your dampers quickly as they WILL wear out fast. Switch to the black upgraded main gear at a cost since Align won't admit a problem as your pinion will chew that up. Keep an eye on the feathering shaft sleeve as that too will wear quickly. Add wider skids as the ground effects can get nasty. Front and rear TT gears as the loads will migrate. Great kit huh??? Bump the motor up to 12 on both timing and PWM as it will bog on you......But we all knew the 750mx wasn't a scorpion or KDE to begin with.....

Oh, and lastly pray that you don't injure someone if it falls. Lastly, ask Dino how many more people have to throw their OWB block out before Align admits a mistake......
Old 01-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Guys... lets get real! We didn't buy a $40,000,000 Lear Jet. We bought a Flying Toy! This is a Hobby. We're acting like we bought the frick'in NASA Space Shuttle. Lol!

I know that people are upset because some improvements could be made to the Trekker but, this ranting & bashing isn't helping anyone! You don't want to have a heart attack or a stroke over some plastic gears. It's not worth it!

Put things in perspective. Plastic gears, head dampers, and a tail shaft does not make Align a crappy company. These same three issues do not make the entire helicopter a lemon.

Please... you guys are smart! You have a great ability to track down issues! You are capable of finding solutions to problems. I beg you to contribute in a positive manner without all the name calling, ranting, and bashing. There's enough crap in world to get angry about. This isn't it. Let's stay positive!
ALIGN T-REX 450 PRO DFC
HeliGriff is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
Please... you guys are smart! You have a great ability to track down issues! You are capable of finding solutions to problems. !
Some people, regardless of the solution you provide them can not be made happy and have nothing better to do than whine and complain about the same things over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.......
Thunder Power 65C LiPo & JR 12X
350Z_Al is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Now 350 your in my thread so take a hike "bugger" (your word) If you dont agree go waste your money on an overpriced gimble for 1800.00. I'm up to 55 private emails on all the forums thanking me for the insight and speaking out. If I can save some people the same aggravation Im going through its worth having to read some of your whining posts about me whining. We have a mutual friend who filled me in about you 350. I wasn't surprised about what I read.

My apologies to Heli griff. I just didn't think after we all spent 1800.00 we should have to pay for the black gears that should have come with the kit.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
Now 350 your in my thread so take a hike "bugger" (your word) If you dont agree go waste your money on an overpriced gimble for 1800.00. I'm up to 55 private emails on all the forums thanking me for the insight and speaking out. If I can save some people the same aggravation Im going through its worth having to read some of your whining posts about me whining. We have a mutual friend who filled me in about you 350. I wasn't surprised about what I read.

My apologies to Heli griff. I just didn't think after we all spent 1800.00 we should have to pay for the black gears that should have come with the kit.
You stink of bullshit.
Thunder Power 65C LiPo & JR 12X
350Z_Al is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default It's about perspective..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post

I understand your frustration. You are not alone. I am sincerely concerned about you getting so upset. It's not healthy for you. Take a deep breath for now, so that you'll be around to help others in the future.

Align has come through for me before on issues that I've had in the past. I can tell you that they will be far more responsive if you are diplomatic. I own a business and I understand that Align cannot just start sending out free parts every time there is a problem. I also know that they have listened to us and have developed some upgraded parts to solve the issues. That shows me that they do try to improve their product, even after the sale. Yes, we might have to buy them, this time. Maybe next time, we won't.

Until then, life is short and we have some flyin' to do! Enjoy it!
ALIGN T-REX 450 PRO DFC
HeliGriff is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlpro View Post
setup as follows:
vbar 5.3
stock align 800mm blades
+-12.5 degrees pitch
stock align motor
castle ice 120 gov mode peaking at 125 amps
idle up2 1925rpm unloaded
gens ace 60c 5300mah
flight time 4:15
And built by ME.
Laddy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Built by...

Sorry I forgot to mention who professionally built it!
Still flys great! You rock Ladman!
Old 01-08-2013, 07:19 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I feel that 12.5 is alot of pitch with 800mm blades but if its working for you ok and not over loading the esc batteries or motor from your flight logs then cool

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in