Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > CJY Total-G FBL System

CJY Total-G FBL System Curtis Youngblood Total-G FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2010, 07:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default governor question

Got a question about normal governor mode. I've got this on a custom gasser, my normal curves are 0-22-25-37-100 to fly on curves. When i run my totalG gov on normal mode, why is still dependant on my curves? I tried changing them to linear 0-50-100 and the thing went into the wa, wa's bad. Only way to get it to stop was by matching the curves back up to the motor.

Is there a chance something has gone wrong with the sensor? It still shows in the interface
helipainter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2010, 07:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Check to make sure that the magnet passes DIRECTLY underneath the sensor. The gov on mine did the same thing when I first set it up, and when I looked at it more closely, I saw that the magnet was only passing by the edge of the sensor. The sensor still got a strong enough signal to set off the indicator light when turning it over by hand on the bench, but apparently not strong enough to provide consistent RPM control when the engine was up to operating speed. A couple of spacers between the mounting bracket and the frame was all it took to get it working properly.
j bomb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2010, 08:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Guilty! took it apart and there ya go, half the sensor covering a 1/4 of the magnet (has a big ass one built in)

Will let ya know tomorrow but pretty sure ya got it.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Moving the sensor over the magnet made it change behavior, but still not acting like a regular governor. It is totaly dependant on the throttle curve. Move the curve, head speed changes and it never appears to actually lock into a speed, over speeds, looses speed, etc. Tried putting the curve back to 0-50-100 and it way over revs. Guess it just doesn't like gas curves? Not really wanting to put the multigov back on it but might be best so i can fly instead of getting pissed for going.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You know...now that I think about it again, there is a minimum throttle position that must be reached before the gov will activate, whether it's turned on in that flight mode or not. I can't remember what it is, but I think that it's around 30% or so. I don't fly gassers, so I've never had to do this before, but you may be able to change that setting by either using the G-View 2 or setting the interface to G-View mode. Changing the gain setting here may have an effect as well. Another way to lower this "switch point" is to set your throttle low point w/ the trim all the way down instead of having it in idle position, although this method won't change it very much.

P.S. You should be able to check at which stick position the gov turns on by looking at the RPM setting box in the interface. If you're running the gov in normal, highlight the box w/ the stick at low throttle and it should say Gov OFF, then slowly raise the stick and it should change to your programmed RPM when the stick reaches the required throttle position. At least I think so, I know the ATGv3 could be checked this way.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just got the gview2 and see throttle low and 3d throttle low, what do those do? I'm assuming those do what your talking about? It was at 40, that would have been very brief moments it could have hit that high like somewhere between 3/4 and full stick

It is really picking up the sensor on the bench like i've never seen it before. Good call.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

What a difference having things setup right makes. Guess the trick was getting to the gview2 settings where it has the low throttle setting cause this thing works perfect now. Little uncontrolled, but definately engaged and all three speeds are working. Thanks for sticking with me and working through it.

What does 3d throttle low do, anybody know? i also see something about 3d or aerobatic rotor rpm, what is different between that and the 3 speeds i have my radio set to?
Old 12-07-2010, 07:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Throttle low is the lowest throttle position that the gov will pull the throttle in flight, 3D throttle low is the lowest position that it will pull the throttle w/ rapid collective changes and is usually a bit higher. This is from my ATGv3 manual. I can certainly see that a setting of 40% is way off from what you would probably need for a gasser.

I have no idea what the aerobatic RPM setting does, the ATG didn't have this setting and I haven't really played w/ the interface in G-View mode very much.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

So what is the setting that engages the governor at a certain throttle stick input? It seems fine, but i haven't gone to the field yet. This is what i was looking at

last week
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIIK5IXPrbU[/ame]

And i'd tweek and tweek curves, crank the motor so rich it barely ran, anything to get it calmed down. Garunteed the sensor being perfect was key, but moving those two settings as low as they go is all i did and now it looks like this

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHdoqMIMBJY[/ame]

has a decent looking consistency to it, feels like it.

But i'm still after getting the gov engaged at the lowest possible setting or around 20. If it doesn't exist, i need to get it in front of curtis cause us gasser guys wanna play too.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Settings?

So what setting did you change to get rid of the WA WAs? Mine does it as well when I set the head speed at 1650 and unload the head. Mine is not GAS but Nitro, the video is very similar to my issue though.

Ned

TIA
ncarbon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2010, 11:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Made sure the sensor was dead nutts over the magnet. Through gview2 changed the low throttle to 20, and the low 3d throttle to 26, as low as it'd go i think.

Was able to leave my curves last used which i guess is a good thing if it ever fails in flight and the only way i can get the motor from idle to spooled up on gov. The three programmed head speeds seem to be working finally.

In that one short descent, i see my head overspeeding a hair, but nothing i'm gonna worry about. If mine was simply not sticking to a speed, i'd try turning up the gain till it stayed a bit steadier.

Been fighting this thing for 2 months, haven't even flipped it over yet, everytime i'd take it out it'd get all wa, wa and scare the crap outta me. Ate 2 mains, 1 forced auto later i might be on the right track.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It seems that you've done everything I can think of to correct the issue w/ the Total G, maybe contacting CY would be the next step.

I don't know how your heli is set up, so you may already know this, but I remember seeing a sticky in the gasser forum on how to set up your throttle linkage to give it some mechanical expo. This is supposed to compensate for the different response characteristics of a butterfly carb and allow you to run a more linear, nitro-like throttle curve. Doing this might help if you haven't done so already.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are you running the Gov in Normal or active mode?
CRITEX is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2010, 12:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

normal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in