Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2008, 05:01 AM   #121 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well Bob, they must have some old stock floating around still. I just bought a 35G from Hobbytown USA here, and the sink is taped to the outside of the shrink.....STUPID Wish I'd seen this thread before I went looking, I'd have shopped around for a new style one. Jeff
papa38 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2008, 09:05 PM   #122 (permalink)
Registered Users

no one here, or what?
papa38 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2008, 11:34 AM   #123 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hmmmm, same story here in Lincoln, Ne. Got an SA kit from Hobby Town. I seen this thread than went back and all there ESC's are the old style. Hey Bob, you said that with the newer batteries this mod is now not needed? I just cut my shrink and heatsink off last night. With the newer batteries can I just now put the sink back on UNDER the shrink and be ok?
TK5028 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2008, 11:57 AM   #124 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Yes... I havent seen anyone have heat up issues for a while now. Heat up problem were back when the best batts you could get were 15C.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2008, 12:46 PM   #125 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Great. Thanks Bob. You have been a big help with all your vid's and stuf. Could have used it 6 years ago when I got my first heli.
TK5028 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2008, 10:32 PM   #126 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well.....I finished my ESC mod today, and I must say, it looks good. Too early to tell yet if the heat issue will be solved, but I'm hoping for the best. Instead of using black heat shrink, I used blue.....the same colour scheme as my canopy! lol. It was the 2 - 1 ratio kind, and it was 1" wide flat when new.......not 1.5" as suggested by anyone else. Worked great! One inch wide is more than enough for this mod.
I'll get a pic of it later on tonight.
M.A.A.C. 78596 www.helicalgary.com
Ex President - Calgary RC Heli Club
helijack is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2008, 12:29 AM   #127 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

OK........here are the 2 pics I took of what my ESC looks like now. No big deal.......just thought I'd send the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ESC.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	40264   Click image for larger version

Name:	ESC2.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	40265  
M.A.A.C. 78596 www.helicalgary.com
Ex President - Calgary RC Heli Club
helijack is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2008, 04:56 PM   #128 (permalink)
Registered Users

Anyone know if BlakeMcBrayer is still selling his mod kit?

I also got stuck with a RCE-BL35G (K10256TB)

I got it from the LHS and after reading up on it I found this thread and link to the Mod. So before looking to hack the ECS up, since I never even took it out of the box yet. I figured I would try to take it back to the LHS and see if he:

1- was aware that there was a heat problem with the ESC.
2- would he replace it with a more current production run.

Now I dont know about all LHS in other cities, But ours is your best friend when your spending, But the second " Anyone " tried to point out a flaw, a bad part, bad advice, or attempt to try for a refund or exchange, The LHS mood changes. And this usualy involves a long drawn out explenation on how " its something you did " or " no one else I sold it too is having a problem "

So I figured I would at least bring as much info as I could to show the validity of my concerns. So... I printed out the Mod pages in their entirety, then called Align in CA. The Tech man at Align was surprised I even had this type of ESC saying.

"We dont make those anymore, Where did you get it?"
He confirmed that there was a manufacturing oversite and that the new production run had solved the problem. And the model Number he gave me of the new one was:

RCE-BLX 35A

I went to the LHS with information and took my time to explain that the heat sink was little more than a decoration in it's current configuration.

I was amazed that he went into his routine and when he saw the heading of the mod pages "HeliFreak" he responded "Oh you got that from Heli_____" <-- I wont say it here.
He also said " You read too much, the local pro uses the same one, So do I "

So I asked him to take out his Heli so we could have a look.. And wow he had the right one. LOL...

I don't know how he could even attempt to refute the facts but he did just that and I am now stuck with a 60.00 CAD defunct ESC.

So now I seek the mod Kit so I can fix the dern thing before I take a chance of a mid air heat protection power cut-off.

I think Ill buy three of them. 2 of my B400 Heli buddies are gona need em I think.

Maybe the LHS should "Read More"
Mecos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2008, 05:03 PM   #129 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

I don't know honestly but he was on not too long about this month. PM him and ask.

Bob
Old 04-24-2008, 05:06 PM   #130 (permalink)
Registered Users

Done and waiting for a reply

I tell ya Bob, good service is hard to find sometimes. I get frustrated when I am faced with Bull doodoo.. You know? So dont mind my vent.
Mecos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2008, 05:06 PM   #131 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Not at all man.... I understand

Bob
Old 09-16-2008, 05:35 AM   #132 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

from reading all this and the last post being that old i kinda figure the problem doesnt exist any more, just got a trex 500. but will take a closer look at the esc (not cut it open, just a good look at the heat shrinking)
Schelli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2008, 10:37 AM   #133 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

There is no need to do anything to the 500's ESC.

Bob
Old 03-12-2011, 12:48 PM   #134 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Question

I recently purchased a used Trex 450 SE v1 billed as a V2. I only realized that the heli was in fact a v1 after purchase, and the seller refused any re-negoitaions. However as I have had it for several months and dozens of flights without any problems except those of my own making: ) I am still quite pleased with the helicopter as a learning platform for me. At this point I am mostly concerned with battery longevity and longer flight times and I and wondering if I need to mod or replace the ESC once the weather gets warmer and I hopefully get better. As far as I can tell it is an original Allign ESC, it has a bronze colored heat sink which is attached to the heat wrap, not enclosed by it. I can post a picture if that would be necessary for identification. I apologize if this is a duplicate question, and any help would be appreciated!
oronoanothercrash is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2011, 01:45 PM   #135 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

With the higher C batteries of the day ESC run cooler. I am ruining the old one on a 450 that I did not mod and it has been doing fine. Just check it after each flight and if you feel it is running too hot then mod it.

Bob
Old 03-15-2011, 06:27 AM   #136 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
With the higher C batteries of the day ESC run cooler. I am ruining the old one on a 450 that I did not mod and it has been doing fine. Just check it after each flight and if you feel it is running too hot then mod it.

Bob
Thanks Finless! Also thanks for all the videos, they have been invaluable!
oronoanothercrash is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #137 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bob,

looks like the link in your first post is dead.
Connexxion is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 05:21 PM   #138 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yea it doesn't work for me either.
card_shark is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 08:54 AM   #139 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Yes the server it was hosted on is no longer. Give me a day to get it up on another server. BUT today with higher C batteries and what not, I do not think the mod is really needed anymore.

Bob
Old 02-18-2014, 11:32 PM   #140 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Help me someone please

Hello please I'm still trying to even learn how to ask questions on here . I have been havering some issues keep breaking helicopters because of this. Ok I have a dx6i remote one issue is I have also a trex 150 settings say pitch is suppose to be reversed. Problem is when I do this it won't take off. Does anyone know why the settings call for the pitch to be reversed please help someone. Also on my blade 130x it was doing the same thing. And if anyone has some beguiner settings for trex 150 and dx6i and beguiner settings for blade 130x and dx6i I have a blade mcpx and a mcpx bl and love them fly them all over the yard. Anyway I have seen so many videos on dx8 and tree 150 and other radios but not dx6i . And why the pitch is reversed. I don't know if this will reach anyone if it does email me at hyden.gruntusmc@gmail.com please I can't even check this to see if someone replied lol hahahaah I'm learning but need help please .
Brandon Hyden is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in