Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Kontronik Drives

Kontronik Drives Jazz and Jive ESC's and other Kontronik equipment support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 01:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Why Kontronik? What is so good about them? I'm not in the loop

In all seriousness, this is not a question with an agenda.

What makes the Kontronik Jive so great, why spend so much on an ESC?

I just bought a second hand Logo. It's got a Jive on it and although it looks really cool and has a similar bling to exhaust on my bike or wheels on my car, I think I want to sell it and use a cheaper ESC. Why should I keep it? What makes a Jive so much better than other much less expensive options?

I know this is going to be an opinion thread, but I'm curious.
phranticness is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 06:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its been talked over and over. Watch their video on you tube. Built by the best, for the best!
helicraze is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 07:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Components are top quality.

Low failure rate and when they fail it usually does not result in a crash

Brilliant support

Awesome built in BEC and GOV
Old 12-22-2012, 08:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Awesome Gov, reliable BEC, makes the setup light and very simple. It's just works, no drama

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Synergy N5C sitting in Box...
Mystic3D is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamin_00 View Post
Components are top quality.

Low failure rate and when they fail it usually does not result in a crash

Brilliant support

Awesome built in BEC and GOV
I'd do one of those plus ones here if I was a teenager I suppose...

Essentially the low failure rate is what made me spend a lot more for an ESC than that with which I would otherwise be comfortable.

I wanted to have the best chances possible for my TDR to survive unscathed in flight, and a Kontronik ESC's practically bullet-proof reputation coupled with a built-in BEC than can actually be used with no concerns, pretty much settled the ESC choice for me.

After the first flight, having the FBL controller governing head-speed, I switched to the Kontronik's governor, and have been using it since.
Groucho_ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Like Mystic (and others) have said, the ESC is simple to program and it just works. And the built-in BEC is best in class and allows for a light weight setup. And Red is a really cool color.

I don't know about the Kosmik, but the PowerJive and HeliJive can handle absolutely ridiculous amounts of current (I've pulled 200+A spikes through my PJ120 serveral times and it never once complained).
NRPY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 12:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The Kosmik is the next level
Old 12-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I'm glad nobody took my question the wrong way.

I get it, on a model that you're into for a hefty chunk, you'd want the most reliable esc. Similar to an insurance policy, insure what you don't want to or can't afford to replace. A used Logo 500 is a wobbler for me, I think the extra $150 could be spent elsewhere if it's only about reliability. (the difference in value if I sell the Jive and use a less expensive option) A wobbler, in that crash cost is reasonable and the odds of failure are pretty darn low - One in Multiple thousands, odds I would not want to take with a $3500 model, maybe with a $900 model though.

BUT......I just heard something interesting in Groucho_'s reply. You choose the Kontronic governor over an external (Vbar, or...) Wow, I haven't read about the Jive gov function in any depth. I need to give that a try before I make up my mind. An awesome governor in addition to good track record - that might be worth the extra $150.

I'll use the junk search function and see what I can come up with. (it's garbage because it won't allow 3 letter searches (like ESC, GOV, EFL, PRO, 500, 600, 700, - I hate the search function on this site)
phranticness is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Best bec in the business with the outstanding gov and easy as pie setup makes it a no brainer. You would be remiss to sell it.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Kontronik is a lot like Apple. Their stuff is more expensive than the competition, but it is enginered better and uses higher quality components so that it works simply and flawlessly right out of the box without a bunch of tweaking.

Years ago, I didn't understand why anyone would pay so much for a Kontronik ESC when my other brand ESCs worked fine. Then I bought a Trex 450 Pro where only a Jazz 55 would fit under the battery tray. So I spent the extra money and was amazed at how well that little ESC worked. Never again did I have to deal with a rough soft-start folding up the blades or a governor that would lose headspeed.

Someone once said you can spot a Kontronik ESC just by listening to the soft start. This is true. This is why I only use Kontronik ESCs on all my helicopters.
Kontronik Drives
Justin Stuart is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 07:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Except the don't go around suing EVERYONE lol
Old 12-22-2012, 10:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I will be trying a Kontronik for the first time in my heli career. I bought the Koby 40LV for my Warp 360. I will be using the built-in BEC to power the servos.

Setup was extremely simple. I haven't flown it yet being that I'm waiting on a new FBL controller for this new bird.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Id be careful
Using the internal bec and some servos on 450!
helicraze is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 12:05 AM   #14 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Yeah, there's a lot of debate on it in the Warp 360 forum.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:46 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by phranticness View Post

BUT......I just heard something interesting in Groucho_'s reply. You choose the Kontronic governor over an external (Vbar, or...) Wow, I haven't read about the Jive gov function in any depth. I need to give that a try before I make up my mind. An awesome governor in addition to good track record - that might be worth the extra $150.
There are others who can explain in more detail and more technically, why a Kontronik ESC does a better job than an FBL controller can in governing head-speed.

Dl7UAE comes to mind - If I recall correctly, he had written a very thorough post on the subject earlier this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phranticness View Post
I'll use the junk search function and see what I can come up with. (it's garbage because it won't allow 3 letter searches (like ESC, GOV, EFL, PRO, 500, 600, 700, - I hate the search function on this site)
Just use Google, and tell Mr. Google to only search in Helifreak. It works perfectly.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho_ View Post
There are others who can explain in more detail and more technically, why a Kontronik ESC does a better job than an FBL controller can in governing head-speed.

Dl7UAE comes to mind - If I recall correctly, he had written a very thorough post on the subject earlier this year.

Just use Google, and tell Mr. Google to only search in Helifreak. It works perfectly.
I cant seem to find it?
Old 12-23-2012, 05:50 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like you, and many others here, could not believe people were spending so much on an esc. I had use several other brands with what I thought for the most part were good results. I had some gov issues with the green brand and could not get it programmed were it would hold rpm with out either coming on too soft and head speed dropping or coming on too harsh and causing a tail wag. I also am running a scorpy motor with suggested settings with the other esc. Long story short, my buddy traded me an exta 120 he had sent in for repair because it would not arm and wanted me to try it. At Ircha, we finaly installed it during a point of frustration early in the week.
I removed the bec pro that many have had failures with and used the k-120's internal bec. We programmed the power jive to mode 4 and set bec voltage in about a minute, it seemed like, and finished installing it. We figured out a close trottle percentage for my transmitter to get the 1920 I wanted and test flew it. My wag was gone, my motor was quieter, and no more hunting gov. My heli flew like I thought it should. When I landed I pulled the canopy and touched the motor like always to check temp. This time was very different, I could actually hold my hand on my 5025 and not just touch it. I could not believe how much quieter smoother, and cooler running than it was before. Much of my problems could have been my lack of ability to program the other esc, but I had spent so much time doing so it floored me how easy this was to program and how well it worked on the first flight. I haven't changed it since, other than the second flight I programmed a lower throttle setting to get the 1600 rpm head speed for slow graceful flying. The 2 kontronic 120's I have are amazing.
FYI
The same day, I walked over to the nankin tent and bought another 120 for my other heli. I think you will like it if you try it.
Best of luck
Matt

sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-23-2012, 06:12 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I cant seem to find it?
Type in Google "efl site:helifreak.com" for example :-D
Old 12-23-2012, 07:44 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I cant seem to find it?
Neither can I...
Old 12-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #20 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Here's the post with searching tips:

https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...32&postcount=2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in