Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Castle Creations ESC and Software

Castle Creations ESC and Software Castle Creations ESC Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #221 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, here is a couple of MRMel's vids on it, and they're both good.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc_1G6aC2sk&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqa-CfX47-0&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
band is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #222 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussein View Post
oday while having my 9th flight on my Goblin 700 my CC ice2 160 HV smoked while doing a piro flip maneuver. I managed by the grace of God to land it with minimal damage. I fly 3d and never bog my helis.

My setup

Battery: 2 6s turnigy Nano tech 5000 mah 45c batteries in series
Motor: scorpion 5025-520 LE
BEC: CC pro
cyclic servos: Torque 9180
tail servo: Futaba 256 HV
Blades: Stock with the kit
Castle programming: new software 3.51.05 firmware 4.01
running Governor mode: set RPM at HS of 2100
Gear ratio: 9.27 (motor pinion pulley 22)
PWM: 8
Pitch: 12
cyclic: 14
Gyro: AR 7200BX
The CC was totally burnt out. This is the first time I experience such an incidence considering that I have 14 Helis with all CC ESCs old versions and newer ones.

My setup was perfect as per Castle Link and Mr. Mels Headspeed calculator.

I have my doubts on the new firmware update 4.01.

I will be posting pictures soon and sending the ESC back to Castle.
Same thing happened to my Goblin last month. The CC 160 hv ice 2 burned my heli and also one battery that sits above the esc. Got a bill over the weekend from CC wanting $155 for the burned esc. Then today they asked me to provide them with a receipt.
benben is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #223 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you ordered online, you may be able to print out a receipt or the seller may be able to provide you with one.

Scott

Spartan Vortex Inside,Team Scorpion
KBDD Team Pilot ):>

dunkonu23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #224 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussein View Post
Today while having my 9th flight on my Goblin 700 my CC ice2 160 HV smoked while doing a piro flip maneuver. I managed by the grace of God to land it with minimal damage. I fly 3d and never bog my helis.

My setup

Battery: 2 6s turnigy Nano tech 5000 mah 45c batteries in series
Motor: scorpion 5025-520 LE
BEC: CC pro
cyclic servos: Torque 9180
tail servo: Futaba 256 HV
Blades: Stock with the kit
Castle programming: new software 3.51.05 firmware 4.01
running Governor mode: set RPM at HS of 2100
Gear ratio: 9.27 (motor pinion pulley 22)
PWM: 8
Pitch: 12
cyclic: 14
Gyro: AR 7200BX
The CC was totally burnt out. This is the first time I experience such an incidence considering that I have 14 Helis with all CC ESCs old versions and newer ones.

My setup was perfect as per Castle Link and Mr. Mels Headspeed calculator.

I have my doubts on the new firmware update 4.01.

I will be posting pictures soon and sending the ESC back to Castle.
Thanks, Hussein. I've added your failure to the HV ESC Failure list. I am sorry for your loss. Thankfully, you were able to minimize damage..

Scott

Old 04-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #225 (permalink)
Registered Users

They wanted $150 and a reciept?!!! That sucks. Most of the guys ive thru this hobby have been stand up people. Sounds like they are trying to just give a hard time. Idk. Don't flame me for saying that. Just irritated even hearing this. Hate that for u. I would think they would be quick to help no questions asked especially with the new scorpion series looking so promising. When castle says 160hv they mean 160 constant or peak? I remember reading peak but I've been well over 160 with mine. Even hit 180 with my ice 100 luckily current limiting was disabled. The scorpion says 130 constant. I think I may try one out, just hate to lose the cool features and software u get with cc
Old 04-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #226 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkonu23 View Post
Thanks, Hussein. I've added your failure to the HV ESC Failure list. I am sorry for your loss. Thankfully, you were able to minimize damage..

Scott
Thanks Scott.
Hussein is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #227 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Ice 160 is 160A continuous. I've logged up to 262A peaks with mine set on Intensive(280A) current limiting. I understand the company did tests where they put 1000W through them, and although the ESC's did a thermal shutdown, they couldn't get then to burn up. That's why I don't think it's a over current issue, it's VR or short circuiting or something else...
band is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #228 (permalink)
Registered Users

Normally, I'd agree with you, Band... but the 160's are going up big time. Planes and helicopters. It seems to me that Castle needs to look at this long and hard, again. I hope they look at this and head it off. Something is not right.

Scott

Old 04-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #229 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

just got back from Austin talked to CY about the CC's he runs on his birds..

he swears he has had zero failures.. he is using the 160 in all his big Ballistics and ENVs as are his team mates and reps..

he also said he is using the latest beta with no issues.

He flew so hard on 4 different birds this weekend and not 1 issue..

however a Team Gaui rep blew up a X7 with a brand new ( latest revision) Scorpion 130 Opto and LE motor straight from Georges himself,,. burned up that bird bad.

I dunno what to do on my bird.. seems like all brands are having some issues with HV setups to varying degrees.

CeeveeSiN is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #230 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think your odds are pretty good no matter what brand you go with, the failurerate is in your favor. I have 40 flights on my scorpion with no issues. But the damn thing with ESC fires is the masiv damage you can suffer from it
felborn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #231 (permalink)
Registered Users

While the failure rate may well be in your favor, it sucks more most of us know to have your model that shouldn't smoke, be smoking on the way to a hard, forced landing or its demise.

It may be related to production runs, motor shorts, etc., but until we find out somehow, we'll never know for sure. The thing that is troubling to me are the planes that are burning them out. This is why it is vitally important that ALL failures are reported to Castle, Scorpion, or any manufacturer. Nobody can fix anything unless they know and get the failed parts in hand.

Scott

Old 04-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #232 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by benben View Post
Same thing happened to my Goblin last month. The CC 160 hv ice 2 burned my heli and also one battery that sits above the esc. Got a bill over the weekend from CC wanting $155 for the burned esc. Then today they asked me to provide them with a receipt.
The lady that send me the bill said she's new and made a mistake. Now it's under warranty and free.
benben is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 02:29 AM   #233 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Guys....

While I no longer fly Helis, due to my hands shaking too much, I started flying them in 1972, and have built about fifty or sixty of them....so definitely enjoy them....

But, I'm not here about the heli's per se... I am here about the Castle ICE2-HV160s. I too had one burn, which almost took out my 3D Hobby Shop 89" Slick....you can see the damage here.... and here...

SteveT
SteveT is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #234 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for taking the time to visit, Steve. It was a pleasure PM'ing you on RCG!

With that in mind, attached is the latest update to the HV ESC Failure list. I've added, where applicable, posted units shipped so failure rates can be determined. I do hope the companies who have chosen to be transparent continue to do so as it only helps their cause.

Scott
Attached Files
File Type: xls ESC Failures.xls (79.5 KB, 244 views)

Old 04-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #235 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by band View Post
I was just warning a person about this, here is his set up: TR700 115 main gear/12T pinion, 12S batts, 510KV motor, and get this...1500-1600 HS. This means he is plugging 12S voltage into his ICE 120, and forcing it to "hold back" 45% of that voltage at full charge and still 35% of that voltage at fully discharged. Plus, he says he usually doesn't drain his batteries below 50%, so his ESC is always holding back a minimum of 40% of the battery voltage. It's no wonder people are having so many problems with their electronic equipment. He actually argued that because it hasn't failed yet, it won't...insanity imo...
And as I told you repeatedly in our PM exchange:
- I couldn't seem to get you to understand that _power_ is the operative variable here and apparently you still don't. As long as the _power dissipation_ demands meet the capability of the ESC, (and the voltages involved otherwise don't exceed any limits as they don't here), you're fine. The ESC will be able to handle it. Think about it - why do our ESC's work _at all_ at partial throttle settings without self-destructing?
- The power levels involved in my setup at these headspeeds were, and still are, well within the power limits of the ICE2 120HV, regardless of the throttle setting.
- The original ICE HV controllers had a _design_ problem that was causing the fires. It was definitely _not_ setup problems - this has been made abundantly clear here and elsewhere throughout the history of this whole thing. True, high resistance systems do result in higher ripple voltages, but that wasn't the problem with the original ICE HV's and the failures.
- All BL ESC's are susceptible to problems from excessive ripple, not just the ICE controllers.

This is why I'm not having trouble with my ICE2 120HV setup as it is, and why I likely will continue not to.

LS
lucien is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #236 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default red wire on servo connection

I am confused with the red wire on the cc esc's. I run a seperate 2s lipo to my reciever, unless i am reading something wrong the manual states that if i run a seperate power source i must remove or cut the red wire. well with out the red wire connected i do not get a signal to the esc can someone help me understand.
Paulieb1979 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #237 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You only need to remove the red wire if the ESC has an on board BEC. The Ice2 HV's have no onboard BEC.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #238 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hitting on what Paulieb1979 said,I'm also confused.I'm using the WR hercules and they also state in the manual to disconnect the red wire (power) coming from the ESC to avoid power conflict.
Mine is still intact on the ICE2 120,should I remove it ? my ICE2 won't connect to my PC or give me the green light and I'm beginning to think this is why.
Please advise.Thank you.
Scorny is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #239 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No leave the red wire intact, there is no BEC on the Ice2 120.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #240 (permalink)
Registered Users

^^^^^^ Thank you.
Scorny is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in