Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 08:01 PM   #661 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Got the FM set up so that it moves the swash in the proper direction when tipping the heli side to side and fore to back.

Cyclic also reacts correctly to corresponding stick inputs.

But the collective is reversed. This has happened before but I don't remember how I fixed it. Moving the throttle up causes the swash to move down and vice versa.

Tried inverting all three channels under collective setup in the TX. No help there.

Anyone??

Boowho??
Just reverse pitch under the control tab using the programme.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2014, 08:14 PM   #662 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix the cat View Post
Are your blade grips leading edge or trailing edge control?

For leading edge control you want swash up to provide pos. pitch and vice versa.

For trailing edge control you want swash down to provide pos. pitch and vice versa.

Having said that the way to control your swash up or down on collective is via swash mix:

There should be a screen with Ail. Elev. and Pitch with a % value for each of them. Leaving the values the same and changing the percentage from pos. to negative or the other way around usually does it.
I found the problem.....

I have the Futaba channel arrangement.

In er9x the throttle stick is referred to as THR in the mix screen, the right stick are AIL and ELE. SO my mixes in the TX were set up like this.

Chan 1 = 100% AIL
Chan 2 = 100% ELE
Chan 6 = 100% THR ???

Why THR on the pitch channel I have no idea. Has always seemed strange to me, but it has always worked.

I had to completely reconfigure the bird (mechanically) and I guess that caused the reversal (probably did not re-assemble EXACTLY as it was before).

But now I've changed Channel 6 to -100% (minus) THR and it's working correctly again.

Thanks

boowho??
boowho is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2014, 08:17 PM   #663 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivor Hill View Post
Just reverse pitch under the control tab using the programme.
Tried that first. For some reason it did not make any difference. I use the field programmer, but I think the "control" tab is equivalent to "servo rev" menu selection in the FP.

Boowho??
Old 03-13-2014, 12:55 PM   #664 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Tried that first. For some reason it did not make any difference. I use the field programmer, but I think the "control" tab is equivalent to "servo rev" menu selection in the FP.

Boowho??
No servo reverse is for changing the direction of individual servos. On the field programmer stick reverse is the same as control tab. So after setting servo directions so the swash tips correctly when you tip the heli then and only then should you go to stick reverse and reverse any stick directions that are wrong. Pitch in stick reverse will change the direction the swash moves when you operate the throttle stick.
This assumes that the heli and TX was set up correctly before fitting Flymentor.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:54 PM   #665 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
No servo reverse is for changing the direction of individual servos. On the field programmer stick reverse is the same as control tab. So after setting servo directions so the swash tips correctly when you tip the heli then and only then should you go to stick reverse and reverse any stick directions that are wrong. Pitch in stick reverse will change the direction the swash moves when you operate the throttle stick.
This assumes that the heli and TX was set up correctly before fitting Flymentor.
Thanks for that info. I'll remember it for future use!! FWIW, the Flymentor does seem to work really well. It gives me a sense of security so I'm not terrified to try going into forward flight and then back to hover again, to make banked turns, etc.

Without the FM I would be too scared to try such things. As my confidence and skill increases I will eventually cut the gain to minimum or take the FM off completely.

Boowho??
Old 03-28-2014, 07:36 PM   #666 (permalink)
Registered Users

Angry Chattering servos

Hi,
I have tried to install a Flymentor to a TRex 500 (ultimate destination a very old, VERY sentimental Graupner Bell 212) but I failed
As the Bell installation has all the components on a removable plate, I set it up on the bench. The components are Eurgle 9X (original) with DS615 servos. It works perfectly on my TRex 500.
I then installed the Flymentor iaw Ivor Hills' excellent thread, powered it up and got a steady green.
It does operate, but the servos chatter constantly with an occasional random twitch when idle.
When I make inputs, the servos move in the correct direction but jerkily - as if some gear teeth were missing! It appears to under and overshoot the selection, then settles down similar to idle. When I remove the input, they return to idle as before. it is especially bad when operating the Throttle (collective pitch) as the rear servo does acrobatics! it appears to go full travel in both directions a few times before settling in the chosen position.
I swopped the radio out with a Planet T5, same as before, but perhaps not as bad.
Its just a bit frustrating! And confusing.
Thanks,
Alan
ps I posted this elsewhere, but got no response - hopefully you folks can help,
thanks,
Alan
Bizjet tech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2014, 04:32 PM   #667 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizjet tech View Post
Hi,
I have tried to install a Flymentor to a TRex 500 (ultimate destination a very old, VERY sentimental Graupner Bell 212) but I failed
As the Bell installation has all the components on a removable plate, I set it up on the bench. The components are Eurgle 9X (original) with DS615 servos. It works perfectly on my TRex 500.
I then installed the Flymentor iaw Ivor Hills' excellent thread, powered it up and got a steady green.
It does operate, but the servos chatter constantly with an occasional random twitch when idle.
When I make inputs, the servos move in the correct direction but jerkily - as if some gear teeth were missing! It appears to under and overshoot the selection, then settles down similar to idle. When I remove the input, they return to idle as before. it is especially bad when operating the Throttle (collective pitch) as the rear servo does acrobatics! it appears to go full travel in both directions a few times before settling in the chosen position.
I swopped the radio out with a Planet T5, same as before, but perhaps not as bad.
Its just a bit frustrating! And confusing.
Thanks,
Alan
ps I posted this elsewhere, but got no response - hopefully you folks can help,
thanks,
Alan
Hi Alan, Not really able to help I'm afraid. There have been 2 or 3 reports over the years of servos not working with FM but I don't remember what make they were.
I have set up Flymentor's with both digital and analogue servo's and I have noticed that some digital's do chatter a little when there is no load on them but as soon as the head starts spinning it stops or just a little finger pressure down on the swash.
I expect you are aware that there are reports of DS615's behaving as you describe
( without Flymentor ) and have been returned to the supplier but if yours are working ok without FM I guess yours do not suffer this problem.
Personally I only use digitals on the tail all my helis both 450 and 500 are running with Hitec analogue metal gear servo's on cyclic and most are in scale body's.
In my opinion it is unlikely you have a faulty FM more likely to be a compatibility problem. The only way you are going to know for sure is to plug in a different make of servo. If you get desperate you could send me one of the servo's and I will plug it into one of my working heli's to see if I get the same problem. Sorry I can't help more.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:55 PM   #668 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Chattering Servos

Quote:
Hi Alan, Not really able to help I'm afraid. There have been 2 or 3 reports over the years of servos not working with FM but I don't remember what make they were.
I have set up Flymentor's with both digital and analogue servo's and I have noticed that some digital's do chatter a little when there is no load on them but as soon as the head starts spinning it stops or just a little finger pressure down on the swash.
I expect you are aware that there are reports of DS615's behaving as you describe
( without Flymentor ) and have been returned to the supplier but if yours are working ok without FM I guess yours do not suffer this problem.
Personally I only use digitals on the tail all my helis both 450 and 500 are running with Hitec analogue metal gear servo's on cyclic and most are in scale body's.
In my opinion it is unlikely you have a faulty FM more likely to be a compatibility problem. The only way you are going to know for sure is to plug in a different make of servo. If you get desperate you could send me one of the servo's and I will plug it into one of my working heli's to see if I get the same problem. Sorry I can't help more.
Hi Ivor,
I hadn’t heard anything about the 615s, but I'll check. Thanks.
What you said about analog got me thinking.,
My 1973 Graupner Bell 212 had been in storage until a few years ago when I discovered electric power. Purely on size reasons, I bought FutabaS3003. I just checked and they are analogue, so I fitted Flymentor - not a twitch. No overshooting centre when I flick the sticks. What Hitecs are you using in the 500?
Thanks again for the swift reply
All the best, Alan
Old 03-31-2014, 01:43 PM   #669 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Flymentor On Gasser

Ivor,
First, thanks for all your help in getting so many people up and running with the Flymentor! You helped me a couple of years back getting one working on my TREX 450 and it went along way to getting me comfortable flying it without crashing. I have now removed it and run flybarless on all of my helis but was thinking of putting the Flymentor on an old JR Ergo Z230 gasser that I "inherited" from my late uncle. I have it flying pretty well without the Flymentor but thought that due to the size (thus danger in the event of crash) and age (cost in trying to rebuild such an old heli if it crashed) it might be a good idea to put it on for emergencies only. Note that I only do very basic sport flying (i.e. nothing upside down, on purpose at least).
Just have a few questions for you about using the Flymentor on a gasser. First, am I going to have vibration issues because of the gas engine (assuming things are as balanced as you can get with a gasser) that will create problems for the Flymentor. Second, the heli is so old it sill uses MCCPM (mechanical mixing) - is that going to be a problem or can the Flymentor handle non-CCPM heads? Third, I currently have a GY401 tail gyro on the heli - should I continue to use that for the tail and just use the Flymentor for aileron and elevator? Finally, any other tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
If anyone else has any experience, tips or suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by nlodoen; 03-31-2014 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: more detail
nlodoen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 02:56 PM   #670 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Ivor,
When you have time, could you let me know what servos you are using in your TRex with Flymentor? I think I'll get some for both helis.
Thanks for all your hints and tips.
all the best,
Alan
Old 04-03-2014, 03:41 PM   #671 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizjet tech View Post
Hi Ivor,
When you have time, could you let me know what servos you are using in your TRex with Flymentor? I think I'll get some for both helis.
Thanks for all your hints and tips.
all the best,
Alan
Sorry for the late reply Allen. On 450's I use Hitec HS65MG and on 500's HS82MG.
I should have said before but did not think about it, if you are trying to use Flymentor on a nitro/gasser you will have a lot of problems it cannot handle the vibrations
and if subjected to a lot of vibration it will crash the heli. It has been done but most people fail. I have never tried it but have fitted a Helicommand 3A or 3D or ridged to a nitro without problems. They can now be picked up quite cheap now on ebay.
Just in case you don't know Flymentor is a Chinese clone of the German Helicommand 3D. Sorry if that's bad news.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #672 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlodoen View Post
Ivor,
First, thanks for all your help in getting so many people up and running with the Flymentor! You helped me a couple of years back getting one working on my TREX 450 and it went along way to getting me comfortable flying it without crashing. I have now removed it and run flybarless on all of my helis but was thinking of putting the Flymentor on an old JR Ergo Z230 gasser that I "inherited" from my late uncle. I have it flying pretty well without the Flymentor but thought that due to the size (thus danger in the event of crash) and age (cost in trying to rebuild such an old heli if it crashed) it might be a good idea to put it on for emergencies only. Note that I only do very basic sport flying (i.e. nothing upside down, on purpose at least).
Just have a few questions for you about using the Flymentor on a gasser. First, am I going to have vibration issues because of the gas engine (assuming things are as balanced as you can get with a gasser) that will create problems for the Flymentor. Second, the heli is so old it sill uses MCCPM (mechanical mixing) - is that going to be a problem or can the Flymentor handle non-CCPM heads? Third, I currently have a GY401 tail gyro on the heli - should I continue to use that for the tail and just use the Flymentor for aileron and elevator? Finally, any other tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
If anyone else has any experience, tips or suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Hi, please read the post above. Flymentor does not work well on gassers/nitro.
But if you decide to try it the mechanical mixing is not a problem there is a setting for that in the programme. Yes I would leave the GY401 on the tail.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #673 (permalink)
Registered Users

Allen/ Niodoen. Just to be clear if Flymentor is subjected to excessive vibration the gyro's will mess up and the heli will crash you are unlikely to be able to save it.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:38 PM   #674 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Ivor
Trial installation will be my trusty TRex500. Ultimate destination an old Graupner Bell 212 converted to Brushless motor power.
All the best,
Alan
Old 04-07-2014, 08:34 PM   #675 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks Ivor - I'll steer clear of the Flymentor on my gasser in that case. I don't need any help crashing - I'm good enough at it on my own .

Last edited by nlodoen; 04-07-2014 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: fix smily
nlodoen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 10:29 AM   #676 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default thanks

new to this site, but would just like to say thank you to ivor for all the info on the flymentor. , been through the hole thread and today put all the info into use.system worked so well will have to get another one,as it was used on a hk clone now need to get one for the qs so once again many thanks
sweets is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 05:36 PM   #677 (permalink)
Registered Users

Your very welcome, well done and have fun.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:05 AM   #678 (permalink)
Registered Users

What can flymentor work on flybarless? How to setup?
arwany is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2014, 04:04 PM   #679 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwany View Post
What can flymentor work on flybarless? How to setup?
Sorry no it cannot.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:15 AM   #680 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default gyro option

on my next flymentor install, its going on a kds450qs,which has a kds 820 gyro . is this gyro better than the flymentor gyro or is the flymentor gyro better . thanks for any help
sweets is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in