Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 200

Hurricane 200 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 12:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default First it shuts down, then it shoots up.....

I am not quite clear on what's going on...after quite a bit of practice with the Blade 130X I really would like to try flip one of the Hurricanes.... so a couple weeks ago I took both the flybarred and the fbl out of the mothballs. First I had some tail pitch rod problems with the flybarred one, which I fixed. Today I took the Hurricane fbl quite determined to try to flip it, but... first time I hit the idle up (position two, 100% throttle curve) the motor's rpms briefly shoot up and then the motor shut down. The heli went in some sort of autorotation that slowed down the fall, no damage luckily, thanks also to the Superskids LG. I checked the throttle curves and decided to give a try to position 1 (90% in the middle). When I hit the mode switch the heli shot up in the sky and I barely brought it back returning to normal mode. My pitch/throttle curves are quite similar to the ones in the post below and although just a few times, I did try idle up before with no problems. I wonder if I messed up the Phoenix 25 ESC while binding to the JR9303 radio that I am currently using (I have two and I may have used the other one last year). I will check the ESC setup tomorrow and do some bench tests with the blades unistalled.

https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=10

If anyone happens to be able to post his Phoenix 25 setup parameters, or an equivalent link, it would be appreciated, thanks.
DMala is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: First it shuts down, then it shoots up.....

If they were initially programed on a different radio I'd recalibrate the throttle settings on the esc.
http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...al_videos.html

What fbl unit / gyro are you using?

I looked at the pitch settings you posted. I personally use one pitch curve in all flight modes. -100, 0, +100 on a Futaba. That way when I change FM the blades will be at the same pitch no matter what. I didnt find running a modified normal curve useful.

R71D
Sent from my phone, excuse the bad grammar and auto corrections.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks, looks like CastleCreations posted some additional videos since the last time I checked. I look at them now and then I will check the settings of the ESC.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Update: adjusting the throttle endpoints did not help, at 100% throttle the motor gets to an excessively high rpm, to the point that the entire heli shakes like crazy. Maybe it's the Phoenix 25 that at full throttle kind of overpowers the stock motor of the FES V2 kit.

So I lowered the throttle travel in normal mode to 80, idle up 1 to 80-70-80, and 85-70-85 in idle up 2. Bench tested that the modes transition feels smooth, took it to the field and did a few flips, sloppy but with happy ending! Mission accomplished.

Still I have to tune the settings to see if I can get some more rpm without running into yesterday's problems.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi there, looks like you found out what I was going to say. A while back I trawled the threads to see what the max throttle people tend to favour and 85% came up often when using the Gaui 5600KV motor. For basic sport flying I settled on 80 80 70 80 80, it still has more oomph than I ever need to use.

Regards , Allan
alphonso is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks, good to know that I am on the right path. I am going to try governor mode now.

Yesterday I found also an helpful post by Picofly, although I can not imagine going up to 100 with my setup. I will first try the simple governor mode at 75 in normal and 80 in idle up, and bench test it first.

https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...20&postcount=4

If I had some more spare time I would try to measure actual rpm, but the EP200 is not like an McpX and I would have to build a jig to safely hold it in place, not just hold it in my hands.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in