Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Kontronik Drives

Kontronik Drives Jazz and Jive ESC's and other Kontronik equipment support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2015, 08:37 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wh1teAfr1can View Post
read what i said. I said there is no way for it to reduce power aka do a soft shut down on over amp, BUT when it detects too much temperature it can do a slow down and reduce power til the temp begins to reduce.not sure what you are trying to get at here.
I'm just trying to get a clear answer, no offense meant. I always knew that the esc would slow down for over temp. That was never my question so I'm not sure why we are talking about it.

So just to be clear, there is no slow down for over amp. The reason I was confused is because some say there is a soft cut for over current, and some say there is not.

Obviously, there is much confusion over this as evident by the contradictory posts in this thread.

I'm glad to finally know that there is absolutely no option for soft cut.

My next question is, who do we petition to get an option for soft cut added? I see absolutely no logical reason to refuse the option of having a soft cut.

Lynx Team Pilot
Pitch-Itch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2015, 12:06 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

There is a distinct relationship between current and heat in the FETs. In all my experience with spool downs it always showed warnings of current limit reached and then warnings of over temperature, WHICH then spools down the ESC in 30 seconds. Check the error in log 32.

Error log attached, I just changed it to a text file to enable upload here.
Attached Files
File Type: txt ERROR.txt (872 Bytes, 50 views)
Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2015, 07:57 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinger View Post
There is a distinct relationship between current and heat in the FETs. In all my experience with spool downs it always showed warnings of current limit reached and then warnings of over temperature, WHICH then spools down the ESC in 30 seconds. Check the error in log 32.

Error log attached, I just changed it to a text file to enable upload here.
Not in my case. I'd have peak Imot values of 380a and my FET temp would never exceed 75c.

Got to know that if the kosmik sees too much current you get to crash your heli.

Lynx Team Pilot
Old 05-07-2015, 07:13 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch-Itch View Post
I'm just trying to get a clear answer, no offense meant. I always knew that the esc would slow down for over temp. That was never my question so I'm not sure why we are talking about it.

So just to be clear, there is no slow down for over amp. The reason I was confused is because some say there is a soft cut for over current, and some say there is not.

Obviously, there is much confusion over this as evident by the contradictory posts in this thread.

I'm glad to finally know that there is absolutely no option for soft cut.

My next question is, who do we petition to get an option for soft cut added? I see absolutely no logical reason to refuse the option of having a soft cut.

So there's no one to petition to get a soft cut feature added? I have to believe that kontronik actually listens to their customers, right?

I know of 4 people who would second my request in minutes, and that's just the people I know personally.

Lynx Team Pilot
Old 05-07-2015, 07:58 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
So there's no one to petition to get a soft cut feature added? I have to believe that kontronik actually listens to their customers, right?

I know of 4 people who would second my request in minutes, and that's just the people I know personally.
I am currently investigating it with the lead engineer in Germany. It is not an easy problem to solve hence why no other esc has it.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:13 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
It is not an easy problem to solve hence why no other esc has it.
No other esc has what exactly? The user option of soft or hard cut on over amperage?
Old 05-07-2015, 08:32 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I am currently investigating it with the lead engineer in Germany. It is not an easy problem to solve hence why no other esc has it.
How exactly is it not an easy problem to solve? Kontronik already has a logic code written for slow down in regards to temp.

It's a basic logic code. If X happens then initiate Y (obviously this is not actual code, for the programmers here that were going to call me on it). Right now temp is X and slow down is Y.

Change the logic from X being temp to X being a certain threshold of current, then let Y still be slow down.

I really can't imagine how that would be overly difficult, considering they *have* already done it for temp.

Lynx Team Pilot
Old 05-07-2015, 10:13 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
How exactly is it not an easy problem to solve? Kontronik already has a logic code written for slow down in regards to temp.

It's a basic logic code. If X happens then initiate Y (obviously this is not actual code, for the programmers here that were going to call me on it). Right now temp is X and slow down is Y.

Change the logic from X being temp to X being a certain threshold of current, then let Y still be slow down.

I really can't imagine how that would be overly difficult, considering they *have* already done it for temp.
Its not that simple. Temp is easy because it is not changing nearly as fast so you have time to react and reduce power.

In the case of over amperage it is a split second decision because it can run away very quickly. so developing the logic so that it can effectively do it without people complaining that it is kicking in and reducing power too early is a challenge.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:15 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalte View Post
No other esc has what exactly? The user option of soft or hard cut on over amperage?
yes
Old 05-07-2015, 11:23 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Its not that simple. Temp is easy because it is not changing nearly as fast so you have time to react and reduce power.

In the case of over amperage it is a split second decision because it can run away very quickly. so developing the logic so that it can effectively do it without people complaining that it is kicking in and reducing power too early is a challenge.
My point is that the logic is already there, but the result of the if/then is a complete loss of power.

Why not use the same logic for the threshold, yet give the user the option of having a crash vs being able to land?

It seems like a no brainer to me. Use the *exact same* logic codes, but have the option of substituting a slow down in place of hard cut.

If hard cut happens at 280a+ sustained for .5 sec (or whatever the actual threshold is), then use that same threshold but have the option for slow down. It absolutely cannot be as difficult as you are making it seem.

The real question is, why would you NOT want more options?

Lynx Team Pilot
Old 05-07-2015, 11:50 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
My point is that the logic is already there, but the result of the if/then is a complete loss of power.

Why not use the same logic for the threshold, yet give the user the option of having a crash vs being able to land?

It seems like a no brainer to me. Use the *exact same* logic codes, but have the option of substituting a slow down in place of hard cut.

If hard cut happens at 280a+ sustained for .5 sec (or whatever the actual threshold is), then use that same threshold but have the option for slow down. It absolutely cannot be as difficult as you are making it seem.

The real question is, why would you NOT want more options?
Like i said if it was easy everyone would be doing it... It is not the exact same logic.

We can go round and round about how hard it is so i am going to leave this discussion by saying I am investigating it with the lead engineer and if it is possible we will do what we can to make it a reality.

On a side note I need my progunit back that you promised to ship back 3 weeks ago and haven't responded to any of my PM's about.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:00 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Like i said if it was easy everyone would be doing it... It is not the exact same logic.

We can go round and round about how hard it is so i am going to leave this discussion by saying I am investigating it with the lead engineer and if it is possible we will do what we can to make it a reality.

On a side note I need my progunit back that you promised to ship back 3 weeks ago and haven't responded to any of my PM's about.
I've been out of town since Thursday of last week. I'll ship it out in the morning. Thanks again for letting me borrow it.

And thank you, thank you, thank you for taking this to the developers. If this became a reality I would basically have nothing that bothered me about the kosmik. It really is my only complaint.

Lynx Team Pilot
Old 05-08-2015, 10:22 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

jive had slow down from over current and hard cut from heavy overcurrent, im sure kosmik is the same.

And yes slow down from overtemp.

I lost a model too from either packs dying mid flight or this hard cut phenomenam
helicraze is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2015, 11:10 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicraze View Post
jive had slow down from over current and hard cut from heavy overcurrent, im sure kosmik is the same.

And yes slow down from overtemp.

I lost a model too from either packs dying mid flight or this hard cut phenomenam
It is not a phenomenon it is simply the same cut off that jive had. At extreme over current the esc will do a hard cutoff to save itself. Can you link logs so we can tell what happened to yours and please open another thread or pm them to me
Old 05-11-2015, 09:06 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

As helicraze mentioned Jive did have Soft Cut for Peak Current reached, 2 LED flash error and Over Current Cut off 8 LED error flash.

It's all right there in the 'In Use Error's' section of the Power/Heli/Jive manuals.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in