Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger 30/50 > Titan X50

Titan X50 Thunder Tiger Titan X50 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 10:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thinking of getting an x50

So i wanted a bigger heli, and i wanted to get back into nitro. Cant quite afford a 90 yet. So i was shooting for a top notch 50. I want something with enough power to muscle through my less than perfect collective management. Yet still agile enough to do 3D. I learned to fly on a raptor 30 a long time ago, so i have always had a fondness for thunder tiger. So i think the X50 will be a nice fit.

This doesn't seem to be the most popular bird and i had a few questions before i started buying stuff.

Does this really fly that well? I'm sure on this sub-forum you guys may be a bit bias. But how does she do up in the air? I fly the model on real flight 6, is that a fair assessment of how she flies in real life. It's not as agile as my protos, but i think that's gonna be a tough act to follow.

I plan on getting the X50-F which should be the most up to date version, right? And i was thinking of using the tt redline 53h engine. Is this engine worth while? or should i just get an OS right from the start?

Also i was planning on using MKS hbl669 for the tail and hbl665s for cyclics. Will these servos fit?

And finally, are there any upgrades i am going to need? I would like to find a way to mount the tail servo on the boom. I have found stories of the bend in the control rod breaking. and it does look a bit sketchy to me. But anything else that may be a known problem i can avoid.

any other input would be great
thanks
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 11:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just recently completed my X50 (kit 4857-K11). Came complete with TT53, tail and main blades. I completed it with the BeastX FBL controller, AR7110R (rev limiter) receiver, DS610 for cyclic and DS620 for the tail.

The build was smooth. No issues at all. My first hover tracking was out instead of playing with the linkages I opted to try changing the main blades first (didn't like the look of the blades that came with the kit). Sure enough the Edge blades did the trick (stock blades needs balancing but not going to bother with them). I also didn't use the stock tail blades (cheap plastic) I opted for 95mm Revolution blades.

Exceptionally nice flying heli. I would say that it flies as good as my G4.

I should also add......since getting the G4 and X50, my Align 700E FBL and Align 600E FBL doesn't even get flown anymore.

aseejr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2013, 01:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You should definitely get Upper and Lower metal bearing block :
PV1406 and PV1407 unless they started to put them into the kits (which i don't think so).

As handy upgrade for myself i got canopy mounting set and new skids (i have the yellow one for better visibility).

Some of us also converted to 140 degree set.

I think i will want to convert to tail boom mounted servo as well... I need to find bracket somewhere for it...

As for servos i tend to think your cyclic ones are a bit slow. Maybe you could try to find Savöx SC-1258. I can only recommend them. Unless you have more than 6.0V requirements then you are likely going to be satisfied.
Size wise i don't think i will run into troubles with those MKS ones. Their measurements are 40x20x40, Savöx is 40x20x37. Last dimension should be distance in direction from horn to the bottom of the case (not sure where they take the measure exactly but you get my point i hope).

If you need to have anything specific let me know, i will have my X50 disassembled for repairs in next few days so i can measure just about anything you would like to know.

Last edited by KouDy; 05-24-2013 at 03:56 AM.. Reason: adding servo informations
KouDy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2013, 10:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

thank you for your responses.
What is the advantage of a 140* set? how does it come from the factory?

i really like that canopy mounting system and and the bearing blocks. those are def being added to my shopping list.

As far as servos, I had been looking at the coreless mks, and had thought about getting them. but then at the last minute i decided i will just go at 7v and get HV servos. I thought the HV would be faster, but i guess thats not the case. I really would be better off going with the bls970s. and a bls980 on the tail. But then i will only run at 6v.

I'm giving serius thought to just spending the extra money and getting jr ds8917hvs. But i think that may be a bit overkill for this size heli. I could stick with the jr ds8717, but then im back at 6v and its almost the same price as the mks.

there really is just too many good servos to choose from
Old 05-24-2013, 02:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Default kit is 120 degrees. I believe if you keep 120 degrees elevator servo travels twice more than aileron and pitch servos. On the other hand i read that 140 is not as good for some maneuvers. Since i am total beginner i went with 140 degrees.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

On my G4 I outfitted it with JR8717HV on cyclic and MP80G for the tail. Running them on a 2cell LIFE pack.

Now on the other hand, my X50 has the same AR7110R receiver, same micro BeastX, power from the same 2 cell LiFE pack but using DS610 for cyclic and DS620 for the tail.

I have also programmed all the parameters in the BeastX the same on both units.

I would almost say (for my type of flying.....mild 3D), you would be hard pressed noticing a difference due to the servos. The Align servos are very good specially considering the price they sell at.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I decided im gonna go with JR DS8917HV for the cyclic and throttle. And an MKS HBL980 tail servo. I have a BeastX for my FBL. And im probably gonna go with the Spektrum AR7110R for a Gov.

Still undecided if i should use the redline .53 engine, or go with a better brand.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You will be happy with this bird.

Happy building and flying!!!

I think a good upgrade would be to use the G4 servo horns for cyclic and tail servos.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tat2spyder View Post
Still undecided if i should use the redline .53 engine, or go with a better brand.
I have a redline 56 and works fine...
I have heard lots of good things about the ys60 if you want a plus of power that for sure it has...
Im thinking of getting a ys120 for my next 700n build
without a doubt ys are the most power engines and well designed
but al YS have a bad reputation in the messy tunning aspect, and that whats braking me to get one...
Lucasg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in