Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 425

Hurricane 425 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 425

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 10:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What to upgrade first?

hey guys, want to start upgrading my 425...but not sure what i should upgrade first, the big thing i really wanna do is go flybarless...but im not sure what head i should get...or, should i just stay with the flybar and get the CNC head? or should i change the the upgraded frame? any tips would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks
ChrisRain is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2011, 02:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRain View Post
hey guys, want to start upgrading my 425...but not sure what i should upgrade first, the big thing i really wanna do is go flybarless...but im not sure what head i should get...or, should i just stay with the flybar and get the CNC head? or should i change the the upgraded frame? any tips would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks
Well, I have read flybarless is not good for a beginner (don't know if you are) Reason being, setting it up will make your head blow up. If you can fly CP, there are plenty of flybarless heads, somebody else can recommend that. Gaui would be a good place to start.

If I was you, I'm not. I wouldn't change a thing on your 425 except stretching it to 500,550 if that. Don't worry about aluminum this and that. Focus on flying as is.

That said.

If you have a Spektrum radio this may be the ticket. Understand, this is not available yet 1-3 months who knows.

Spektrum is coming out with a
AR7200BX 7CH DSMX Flybarless Control System

BeastX flybarless technology is the most powerful, easiest-to-use flybarless technology flying today. And now with the amazing AR7200BX, you can add it to your 250- to .90-size helicopter while saving space and reducing flying weight at the same time.
@$239 it solves an issue with compatibility. If you have a Spektrum this is only $40 more than the BeastX which didn't always work well with DSM2 but now should.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ID=SPMAR7200BX

Todd
Old 10-26-2011, 08:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, i have been flying helis for a year and a half now so I wouldnt quite call myself a begginer.

Stretching does sound interesting...have you stretched your 425? if you have does it fly better as a 550?

That new spektrum/microbeast receiever is VERY interesting. I would really like to have something like that. i like the price too. Thanks for posting that.

If anyone else has suggestions about the upgrades PLEASE comment. i would love to hear your opinion on what i should do.
Thanks.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

That truly depends on your budged... but if you are about to spend some decent amount of money (FBL unit, head and cyclic servos, CF frame, some CNC parts, etc.) than maybe it is better to consider X5 FES Super Combo... and leave the 425 as it is?

On lower cost upgrades - stretching it to 500mm-550mm would be also my favorite and require only few low-cost parts except the new motor (1600kV will be to high) you would need.
Jack2010 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2011, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

At the moment my budget is 130ish...wasn't planning on doing any huge upgrades....the stretchu upgrade does sound very cool...but does it make the flight performance better? Also will stretching the heli require a bigger battery? I am currently flying with a 2650 6 cell.....

Thanks
Old 10-26-2011, 09:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
HF MR Support

...2650- 3000 30-40c and I get 5-6 mins on my 550...plastic fantastic "Floater"
PT
Old 10-26-2011, 09:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

awesome, so i wont need to buy any new batteries...thats what i was hoping to hear. Does the heli fly any better as a 550? or does the flight performance stay the same?

Thanks
Old 10-26-2011, 10:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Well it's not like twitchy 450 that's for sure!
Nice and smooth at 1900 head speed and big, wide FG blades...CF blades and a little higher HS and you will like the performance on tap!
PT
Old 10-27-2011, 01:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, here's my 2 cents. First of all, the 550 does fly quite a bit differently than the 425. It flys much 'bigger', lol. Although it performs pretty well, it responds a little slower to stick inputs so if you dumb thumb you can have a better chance to recover. It is very stable and pretty easy to fly, imo.

A few things you would need are a lower kv motor, something around 850kv to 1100kv seems to work the best.
Long boom conversion kit # G-204663, comes with long boom, tail control rod and tail belt.
Longer tail blades. The 425's are 70mm, and the 550's are 79mm, although some prefer to use something like 84.5mm tail blades. Larger flybar paddles.

Recommended, but not really needed;

Cnc swash plate anti-rotation bracket, # G-204677 ( $15)
Ultimate performance upgrade kit, which contains, cnc rotor yoke and main blade grips, and light weight fly bar paddles, # G-204500 ($80)
OR, get the 425 rotor head upgrade kit that has most of the cnc parts including the above mentioned anti-rotation guide. # G-204684 ( $100)

The 550mm Pro 3D fiberglass blades from HeliDirect work great too at a reasonable price.

Hope this helps.

I don't need the latest and greatest. I just need more time to fly what I have.
Align 450 Sport V2, Gaui 200, Gaui 425 x 2, "HeadHunter 500, Gaui 550, all Flybar'd

Jerrymac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 02:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
At the moment my budget is 130ish...wasn't planning on doing any huge upgrades....the stretchu upgrade does sound very cool...but does it make the flight performance better? Also will stretching the heli require a bigger battery? I am currently flying with a 2650 6 cell.....

Thanks
Chris, I have never heard a negative word anywhere about flying a stretched Hurri 425.
I am 1/2 done waiting on the slow boat but really ready to finish.

Again many have all three sizes 425.500.550 but if you took a poll asking if you can only keep one of the above ............it would be the 550 boom with 500 or 550 blades.

Just got my 550 boom, belt and rod $16.50 and it's massive, The benefit is more tail authority,

Todd
Hoping it gives me a fighting chance
Old 10-28-2011, 12:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolveslayr View Post

Again many have all three sizes 425.500.550 but if you took a poll asking if you can only keep one of the above ............it would be the 550 boom with 500 or 550 blades.

Ha Todd, I would mess up your poll, lol. I have 2- 425's, a medium boomed '500' built on a HeadHunter frame, and a long boomed 550. I love them all, but, if I could only keep one of them, it would be the medium boomed, HeadHunter framed one running 500's. It is a perfect mix of all of them, and the HH frame is better than anything else out there for the Hurri's, bar none......

I don't need the latest and greatest. I just need more time to fly what I have.
Align 450 Sport V2, Gaui 200, Gaui 425 x 2, "HeadHunter 500, Gaui 550, all Flybar'd

Jerrymac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2011, 09:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrymac View Post
Ha Todd, I would mess up your poll, lol. I have 2- 425's, a medium boomed '500' built on a HeadHunter frame, and a long boomed 550. I love them all, but, if I could only keep one of them, it would be the medium boomed, HeadHunter framed one running 500's. It is a perfect mix of all of them, and the HH frame is better than anything else out there for the Hurri's, bar none......
i really like the HH frames...im just worried about how well they will hold up to crashes? also do they improve flight perfomance?

Thanks
Old 10-28-2011, 11:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
i really like the HH frames...im just worried about how well they will hold up to crashes? also do they improve flight perfomance?

Thanks
I would thing the plastic would hold up better but they are not rigid. For sport flying the plastic frame works. CF shatters nose in first..
I don't think the HH frames are available right now, haven't been. It's in the wind they may be available again soon.

Get in line.

Todd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in