Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Atom 6HV, 6HVU and 550 Ultimate

Atom 6HV, 6HVU and 550 Ultimate Compass Atom 6HV, 6HVU and 550 Ultimate Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2015, 07:41 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Put 8 flights on the 6HVU today but the first 2 my tail wouldn't hold checked the belt and found it to be way to loose it was slipping tighten her up and its all good

Oh and I got 4 GREAT FLIGHTS on the CHRONOS

Compass Field Rep/KBDD Team pilot/Experiencrc.com
sewerfly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2015, 12:01 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Had 5 great flights on my 550U yesterday! My OWB seemed a bit stiff so when I got home I took the main gear apart to clean the bearing and found the auto rotation sleeve was cracked all the way through and spiraled up to the screw holes! Glad I checked it, but now shes down till I get a new one!
Old 03-08-2015, 03:20 PM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Wow! the sleeve busted just flying? Any previous crashes or anything? I find that very interesting indeed! I would definitely like any more feedback you can provide leading up to the failure.

Also, when you replace, when you clean the one way, I recommend not putting any oil on it, and def no grease for the OWB, just fyi. Thanks for pointing that out though, nice catch.

Team Compass Pilot
Scott Bowersox is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2015, 07:44 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Bowersox View Post
Wow! the sleeve busted just flying? Any previous crashes or anything? I find that very interesting indeed! I would definitely like any more feedback you can provide leading up to the failure.

Also, when you replace, when you clean the one way, I recommend not putting any oil on it, and def no grease for the OWB, just fyi. Thanks for pointing that out though, nice catch.
She has been down twice since August. First time tail strait into the ground from about 30ft up. Rebuilt and the OWB still felt smooth no issues. Second time was about a month ago. I was hovering inverted about 2ft off the runway and went up when I should have gone down! LOL So I think that last crash was the likely culprit of the Cracked sleeve. My Atom has been in head first many times( less often lately) and have never had the sleeve crack or the OWB crack. I thine just dumb luck? Thanks for the heads up on the cleaning the OWB by the way.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:48 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying. I'm assuming the OWB itself is now given up as well? It is possible one of the 'learning opportunities' (we don't crash) caused a hairline or stated the damage and then after more time and use it crossed the line, very hard to say.

I tried to dig some blades in the ground on my 6hvu without throttle hold, this apparently is hard on them as well, and I do fine the stronger delrin main gear is willing to drive more energy through a crash vs stripping teeth and has made the OWB more of the weaker link. Something has to be.

But yeah, like silcone grease and such will be bad for any owb like most models have and can cause it to prematurely lock up. Some go with a ATF, others none.

I have seen some other threads about them so wanted to keep at least an open eye for any trends. Thanks, have fun!

Team Compass Pilot
Old 03-09-2015, 12:07 AM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

ATF has worked very well for me on ramp/roller type over-running clutches (they are not really bearings). Light oil also works well. Anything sticky (like grease) can cause the rollers to stick, either at the top or the bottom of their ramps. This can cause locking up, or partial engagement (where only some of the rollers are doing their job).

Partial engagement can easily break a clutch up (resulting in jamming or freewheeling in both directions).
Old 03-25-2015, 07:00 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

8 Flights on the 6 HVU

Old 03-31-2015, 01:00 AM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I've had a great time with mine lately only 4 crashes this year, more than all of last year so it must be my time, lol so rebuilt today hope to fly tomorrow
Compass 550 ULT, Eznov Neuron | Thunder Tiger e700 Mini Vbar | Thunder Tiger G4 e820 SPARTAN (Committed suicide)| DX8 #286
Stevewashere is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2015, 08:29 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not the 6HV-U, but I finished the conversion of my original 6HV to DMSS and the 28X, then test hovered it in the back yard.

It is now ready for tuning!
Old 04-06-2015, 11:47 AM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinn View Post
might be able to just look for some 8mm weaved carbon tube and put the ends on for boom supports. it would top it off. then some chronos style carbon struts and carbon tube for the skids as well. full carbon edition. then you just need the carbon canopy. thats gonna be the most spendy part. might even have to do your own with some custom molds and vacuum bag setup. if i had the cash, i would do it. just dreaming again
By the way, I've been down this path, for what it's worth. I really like the Compass ends, but the are about 7mm od to fit the alum Compass tube ID's. They would need to be sanded down to fit the 8mm tubes, as I was only able to find 6mm ID. I wound up with a set of Thunder Tiger ends which fit very nicely. I will share a pic later. 8mm weave tubes and CNC ends.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:46 AM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pic as promised - sorry not a great one:

Old 04-09-2015, 10:57 AM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

Rob,

Great photograph!

By the way, great satellite/antenna placement sir!
Old 04-09-2015, 03:59 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks GREAT Rob

What did I do with my 6HVU today. . . .4 flights thats what ( + CHRONOS )

Old 04-09-2015, 08:31 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks, Ah Clem and Sewerfly.

I am envious of your flying weather out west! It rained like mad here today on top of ground that still has frost in it.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:25 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

Rob.....is that blood on your bench?

How did that happen?
Fauropitotto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2015, 02:30 PM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hahah....I was waiting for someone to ask...LOL

No. Not blood.

A year ago, I built a field box for flying nitro. Designed a crazy color and graphics scheme to paint it. Special ordered some Hot Rod Red metal flake spray paint, made by Rustoleum. Can was on the top shelf. While I was traveling last fall, one evening, the can started to leak from the bottom seam of the can. Fortunately, didn't really hurt anything to speak of. But left some stains as you see there, dripping from the shelf above. Glad it was in the garage and not the house when it decided to let go.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:24 PM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very nice! I still think a partly painted carbon canopy would top it off nicely.
quinn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2015, 09:58 PM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Looks good Rob!

Team Compass Pilot
Old 04-25-2015, 09:46 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

After several weeks away from the hobby, I managed to get 4 flights with my 6HVU. Light Sport/3D and a lot of autorotations.

The most interesting thing is that after all this time stopped my proficiency got *better* and the flights today were the most enjoyable ever!

Maybe flying real R22s made my hands a bit steadier, maybe the change in perspective made me less anxious about RC helis, maybe both.

BTW, the 6HVU is a hell of a machine. Good that I was able to rebuild it after its near destruction last year.

Cheers!

Not flying anything - model or full - since 2017!
ARM_Coder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2015, 07:21 PM   #80 (permalink)

My HF Map location

installed 1 out of 3 servos... still waiting on buying the other two cyclic
BladeScraper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in