Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Electric Micro/Mini Helicopters > Zoom/Shogun 400

Zoom/Shogun 400 Electric - Zoom - Shogun 400 Specific Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2004, 06:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default More Questions..... On flying the stock Shogun ????

Has anyone tried flying the Shogun/Zoom with the stock motor? I know it won't be a powerhouse, but I think it should at least hover and FFF???

Also, I have a brushed ESC that I use on a foamy plank, it is a GWS IC300. Is this ESC too light to use on the stock 400 brushed stock motor? I think the GWS IC300 is rated at 8-15 amps.

Also, I have a 6 channel GWS receiver, will it be good enough for the stock Shogun? If not, what receivers are you Shogun flyer's using? I am a JR man.

Sorry for all the questions, I don't want to waste money or time on this heli project !! hehehehe (Yeah, right.... hehehe)
Hotshot Charlie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2004, 08:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Has anyone tried these with the stock motor???? Also, is my GWS 6 channel receiver going be ok on the heli? Works great on my little foamy flyer !
Old 08-10-2004, 05:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Rob,

Tried the stock motor the other day. It will fly but it's pretty weak. Not sure about that GWS rx. I would suggest not skimping on an rx since the consequences can get spendy. I like Berg receivers...work great and reasonably priced. I'd recommend ordering an extra crystal or two since they probably aren't easy to find locally and they get damaged fairly easily in a crash.
ScotY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2004, 07:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Who handles the Berg receivers? Will definitely consider this. I have flown a GWS for awhile with my foamy planks and no problems.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

The GWS will probably work fine. I used one in a Lite Machines -glow version(!) without any isuues. But I would HIGHLY recommend using a choke on the ESC lead that goes to the receiver. You can get them from JR and it's simply a ring magnet that you loop the lead through. It will absorb interference. I had bad glitches in my Zoom until I installed the choke.

You really should use at least a 20A ESC, though. The reason is because the BEC in the smaller ones may not be able to handle four servos and a gyro. It would be expensive to find out that it can't!
rob_jones is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2004, 09:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hey Rob,

Thanks for the info. I understand the choke stuff, I am glad you mentioned it. I bet I can find a choke at radio shack that will work.... or I will order one from JR.

I just bought a HiMax 2025 4200 motor & Castle Creations 25 esc, so I won't be flying the stock configuration. Figured I would go ahead and do it right and not get in a hurry. (Waiting for finances mostly) heheheee I got a good deal from Big Al's Hobbies. (Thanks Alan)

I can't wait to get this bird flying, but I will take my time and get all the stuff I need to do it right.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

newbie here ....
can anyone give me tips on making my flights last longer...right now Im flying 5 mins per charge...using everything recomended in the shogun manual (gyro spd controller and reciver) with the stock engine and the kokam 1500 cell pack...
charges to 11.1 volts but still not getting those 10-15min flights.

please help me out guys

jacko
Hellboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2004, 04:55 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hey Hellboy,

I am a newbie to the Shogun also, I haven't flown mine yet, so I can't answer your question. Someone here will and can tough !

Welcome !!!
Old 08-26-2004, 09:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hellboy:

First look for any friction in the drive system. I've seen a few that had the gear mesh set too tight out of the box. There should be a slight amount of backlash in the gears. Also, heat is your enemy. I cut some cooling holes in the canopy to allow some airflow over the battery.

Check your pitch. If you have more than 7 degrees at full pitch, you should back off some. The extra pitch will strain the motor and shorten flight times. It should hover at about 3 degrees. Also be sure your blades are tracking as closely as possible. The drag from out of track blades will aslo decrease flight times.

Is the battery new? Are you sure it's getting a full charge? You said it's charging to 11.1V. A fully charged 3 cell LiPoly should be more like 12.6V. If it's only charging to 11.1V, that may be the problem. That's not a full charge.

Check that stuff and see if you get an improvement.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been flying our shop Shogun with the stock motor and the GWS 6 channel receiver. This one has a Castle Pixie 20P in it. I haven't had any glitching yet with the GWS, but I'm still a little nervous about it.
the collective is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2004, 12:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

I'm gonna put at torroid around the line to the esc on my GWS 6 channel. Just precaution.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I'm gonna put at torroid around the line to the esc on my GWS 6 channel. Just precaution.
A wise decision.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:28 AM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks guys...
now that you mention it the main gear is leaving a fine white dust where it intersects the frame, as far as the battery i guess i better invest in a new one cause this one seems screwed up im chargeing at 200- 500 mah and the most im getting out of it is 11.2 v

thanks
Hellboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2004, 06:23 AM   #14 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I get my Berg Receivers from Mac Hodges. www.hodgeshobbies.com

They work flawlessly!!

I tried my Shogun stock. Night and day difference between stock and my Chile Pepper!!
Old 08-27-2004, 08:59 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Definately sounds like your battery is toast. Try a Thunder Power 1320 11.1V. If you have the chance to pick it out, look for one with the yellow stripe on the label (as opposed to the blue stripe). The yellow version has a much higher output. I've flown them back to back; big difference! If you can't find one locally, give Mac at Hodges Hobbies a call.

The white dust on the main gear is normal. They all do it. I really think your problem is the battery.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in