Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default team blacksheep fvp gear?

hi guys I have been watching some of the videos on you tube that team-blacksheep have posted. and I was wondering what fpv gear will I need to get to be able to do the kind of fpv flying that they do? I will be using a f450 dji frame to start with so what radio and video tx and rx will I need? and what else will i need to get? if I could use my 2.4ghz radio system that will be good to. thanks for the help.
iceman320 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 06:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

You should probably check out their web site. I think they have their own products.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yes i have been on their site but it doesn't have the radio that they use to fly the plane on it. And i don't know which video transmitter that they are using in their videos. But i will look on their site again and see what i can figure out. are most of you fpv guys using the fpv stuff from the tbs website? or are you using something different for your fpv rigs?

Last edited by iceman320; 01-05-2013 at 03:41 PM..
Old 01-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

TBS is based in England so there frequency ranges will be totally different from the US. That is what you need to make sure you are compatible with and then get your HAM radio certificate to operate it legally.
pctomlin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 11:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

so then are most of you fpv guys using their ezuhf stuff for controlling the rc drone or quadcopter then or are you guys just using your normal 2.4ghz radio system?
Old 01-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

TBS DOES sell the radio equipment they use right on their site; EzUHF. Yes, most people fly fpv with EzUHF or some other UHF system. 2.4 range is VERY short and can cause interference with the other gear.

The unit TBS sells is the same one you would buy here in the US and only units sold to customers IN England are any different. (TBS is in Switzerland NOT England)

http://team-blacksheep.com/products/prod:ezuhf_tx

You can also order an EzUHF from many places stateside, but you do need your HAM Technician license to use it.

Everything they use to make their videos is available on their site.
sl4ppy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just want to throw out there that buying their gear doesn't instantly give one the ability to pull off the maneuvers they do. Additionally, you can pull off their flying style with equipment NOT labeled TBS. I like the TBS films, but I feel like they've become the Abercrombie of FPV flight.

Some of their activities are done around crowds & great care needs to be taken.
whiplashWho is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have been watching their videos on you tube also and it looks fun to do. and I found the ezuhf stuff on their site and man it's expensive. also they have it connected to a futaba radio but I have an airtronics radio so could I still use the ezuhf with my airtronics radio? or will i be stuck to have to buy a futaba radio to be able to use it?
Old 01-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

You should cruise over to fpvlab.com and do as much research as you can before you dive into anything.

Yes, FPV can be a very expensive hobby. Nothing works plug and play like much of the rest of the rc hobby, and FPV takes a TON more DIY. If your the kind of person that likes to solve problems and figure things out, FPV can be very rewarding. If you just want to plug a few this together and go make TBS videos, FPv is probably not for you and you will end up flushing a lot of money away.

Almost all of the FPV 'products' like EzUHF are really just things other pilots have put together and offered to the community as a favor. Lots of people expect awesome customer service and perfect operability, but while that does exist sometimes, it is not the norm; lots of new FPVers arent ready for that and by all bent out of shape when product A doesn't work with Product C perfectly.

Just my $.02.
sl4ppy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

okay i will check out the fpv lab site thanks for that. but I think that I would just like to start out small for now with just a short range 5.8ghz fvp system until I see if I like doing fpv or not. then if It goes well then I might step it up to the tbs radio gear. So what would be a good short range rx a tx that I could buy just to test out the waters of the fpv world?
Old 01-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman320 View Post
hi guys I have been watching some of the videos on you tube that team-blacksheep have posted. and I was wondering what fpv gear will I need to get to be able to do the kind of fpv flying that they do? I will be using a f450 dji frame to start with so what radio and video tx and rx will I need? and what else will i need to get? if I could use my 2.4ghz radio system that will be good to. thanks for the help.
TBS is a group of telented guys - and personal friends. You need many hours under your thumbs before you try to fly urban FPV. You can buy their gear - but you can't buy their experience. One thing they are good at is marketing - but you can pull off the flights they pull off with any decent gear out there - you don't have to get it from their shop.

You can fly whatever radio you want - a "staple" for FPV is the Futaba 9c - but any module-based radio will do. You can use a radio that's not module-based - but they are not as versatile (for example - I can take the DragonLink module out of my 9c and fly 72, or switch it to 2.4 - it's very versatile).

As far as a long-range radio goes - there are many options out there - for a multi-rotor this is interesting bc you can't really fly far with a multirotor anyway. At any rate - the DragonLink, Thomas Schrerrer and EzUHF are the big 3. For the ranges you will be flying there is really no difference... I will add though that if you get the EzOSD w/ the EzUHF there are some cool tools. Otherwise - pick your weapon of choice.

It is not recommended to pilot a video plane w/ a 2.4gHz radio.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

so then i can't use my 2.4ghz radio with the 5.8ghz fpv gear then? because I thought that I was told that i could?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
so then i can't use my 2.4ghz radio with the 5.8ghz fpv gear then? because I thought that I was told that i could?

You can, but range is the issue. UHF setups solve these issues.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't think that range will be an issue for me since i'm just getting started in fpv. and I will be using a f450 quadcopter, and since you can't fly very far with a quadcopter anyway i don't think that range will be an issue for me right now.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You are not listening. I'll say it a different way.

DO NOT FLY FPV with a 2.4gHz radio. There.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

so I guess I won't be getting into fpv then. cause the ezuhf stuff is too expensive for my to buy right now.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

delete
Old 01-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SENTRY 62 View Post
You are not listening. I'll say it a different way.

DO NOT FLY FPV with a 2.4gHz radio. There.
Why?
Old 01-09-2013, 10:22 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

that's what i would like to know is why? if your just getting started and seeing If you like flying fpv why not use the radio that you already have and if you like fvp then upgrade to the uhf radio stuff if you want to. i think that's what i will be doing.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:23 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
that's what i would like to know is why? if your just getting started and seeing If you like flying fpv why not use the radio that you already have and if you like fvp then upgrade to the uhf radio stuff if you want to. i think that's what i will be doing.
I mean there are a few things that i recall, like possible harmonic interference, and range issues. I would think the frequencies would be spread enough, compared to like 1.3&2.4, but then again im no genius about this stuff as i to am just getting started. But do as many bench tests with the props off and see if theres any glitching/interference/etc. As for range issues, i would range check with all possible combos of equipment running as well as altogether and see what you come up with and record your findings.

Do you have a spare 2.4 rc car or truck laying around that you could test with? I may try this.

And i may be totally wrong or forgetting or not even know a major issue about 2.4 and 5.8.

So maybe if we are lucking some fpv vets would chime in and explain. Maybe its not safe but i would like to "know" instead of just being told "No"...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in