Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lightbulb what about multiwii?

When i looked in this sub forum i only see post about fly mentor and naza
I have been experimenting with a mutiwii board from hobby king the multiwii pro with a gps, compass, barometer, Accelerometer and a 3axis gyro and i even added a sonar and a 3DR Radio. This board with the megapirates software is capable to act as a flybarless stabilizer, does autonomous flight and has a real-time telemetry link with a smartphone or laptop. you can put it in altitude hold, position hold and stabilize mode i am not able to fly 3d yet (the heli does) so i have not tried that but it is also possible.

Just wanted to share this with you as a alternative but it takes a lot of reading, studying and experimenting before it's properly set. For me is something i like and gives me great satisfaction but i can imagine that for others it's a little bit to much to fiddle around and want to spend the time to get it right with flying.
ettepet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi, Can you give tips, and show how it is done on a heli? Or better if you can share the materials that will best help beginner like me to implement multiwii? Or the summary of the things that you have done to your implementation, like what ivor did on the flymentor, and for the copilot by nytflyr?
ece31316 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I run a HK MultiWii on my multi-rotors. I see in the code that the development community is starting to experiment with heli's. Won't be long before MultiWii, Arducopter, and KK boards do a good job with helis I suspect. It'll be nice to pay $50 for a board w/ GPS instead of $450 that we're paying today for something like Naza H.
Aaron Hartwell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've been looking at these too. Like you say ettepet " it takes a lot of reading, studying and experimenting before it's properly set" that more than likely deters a few people.

I would love to try one but right now I have so many little projects on the go that this will have to wait a bit.

How does the sonar work? is it for maintaining altitude?

Aaron, the closest thing to a multirotor I have ever tried is an ardrone, didn't like the wifi link. I am looking to try a quad or hexa build in the future, I have a 3D printer on order that can do 8x8x8 parts so I would like to make a custom frame but any recomendations on electronics would be cool.
StraightUp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Hartwell View Post
I run a HK MultiWii on my multi-rotors. I see in the code that the development community is starting to experiment with heli's. Won't be long before MultiWii, Arducopter, and KK boards do a good job with helis I suspect. It'll be nice to pay $50 for a board w/ GPS instead of $450 that we're paying today for something like Naza H.
Arducopter is already doing a good job on helis.

Former Managing Director of Maxxum Robotics Inc.

Last edited by R_Lefebvre; 02-19-2013 at 09:27 AM..
R_Lefebvre is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

how long will it be before the control boards are readily available to buy, as they are for tri and quads rob, will they ever be as cheap as the multi copter control boards ?
munkymush is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Impressive Rob! Is that you and your heli in the videos?!
Aaron Hartwell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 07:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Am I the only one seeing double here?
Trex 700N Pro fbl, 600N Pro x 2, 450SE v1, 250 v2 fbl, Compass 6HV fbl, Blade 450x, 400, 300x, 130x, mCPx, 120SR, mQx, mSR, Rotor Concepts HPQ1, Walkera CB180Q, CB100, Novus FP, CP, Esky Hunter, Big Lama.
jperkosk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Monkey, the boards are available now. You can buy them from 3D Robotics for about $150, $250 with the good GPS. The telemetry radio is indispensable and only about $40 or so. The boards, are *exactly* the same as the multi-rotor boards. You just upload different firmware.

The firmware is getting pretty good. Not quite as easy to use as DJI or one of the other systems. It's a bit more confusing to set up (mostly because lack of documentation). But once it's working, it works pretty well, and is getting better fast.

It does fly a FBL heli, but it is not a good 3D FBL controller. It's more sport/scale/AP targeted.

Oh, this is a "fun" video...

That was attempting to demonstrate the performance of our inertial Altitude control system. It's actually very good, but keep in mind, it's really windy, that's a little heli with those asymmetric blades, and pretty crappy servos. In 10-20km/h winds it's pretty rock-solid.

Keep in mind, these videos are development videos, not marketing videos taken in light winds, and shot over and over, and cut so that everything looks perfect.

This is a much more impressive video of my 600, and this is before the good Altitude controller code was working.

Aaron, yep, that's me and my helis.

Jerry, yeah, I wish I knew why that kept happening! I'm using the YouTube link button, pasting in the embed code... that's it. I don't get it.

Ah wait, I figured it out!

Former Managing Director of Maxxum Robotics Inc.
R_Lefebvre is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 12:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Rob, that is seriously impressive stuff. When there is body frame control I'll be getting one... You'll see a flood of helifreaks getting these once thats sorted id expect..
jolyboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice work, Rob It makes me wonder why I spent so much money on the DJI. My Blade 400 could probably benefit from Arducopter!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in