Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics

Futaba Radios and Electronics Futaba Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2004, 01:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default 401 whipping during FF

Anybody here have an explanation for why a 401 will speed up and slow down rotation when the heli is in motion as in forward flight or during stall turns? this is driving me crazy due to its unpredactableness.

Talking with some folks its thought the 9253 doesn't have enough power to move it and hold it where it needs to be and possibly the 9254 can. Heck I've even thought about going back to JR and trying the 500T. I loved how my 5000T handled other than the tail drift problem.

Anyone...Anyone?
big-al is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2004, 02:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

What heli? and how fast of foward flight?

Give us alittle more to help you with

Stator Gator
Sold Heli's to build AMC Racecar....still lurking
Tom Fiddler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2004, 02:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I've noticed this across all my fleet, a Raven 50 and a Predator Max. it happens in just about any type of motion. I'll do a 540 stall turn and on the second go around, once she starts falling, the tail will whip like crazy. It does the same thing if I'm flying in normal forward flight. I'm running 95mm mahs on my 50 and vblade 105mms on my max. I even noticed it this weekend when I tried a knife edge pirorette. FYI- my piro rate is now about 360 deg/sec.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like too much gain to me- but I fly a 601 and have forgotten how to set a gyro.
Shannon Davis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2004, 03:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I run 401's in both my helis...
Raptor 50V2
and a Fury Extreme with pretty good results.
What I've noticed about the 401/9253 combo is that it's performance can be greatly influenced by choice of T/R blades...more so than any other gyro I've ever run. I would speculate that this is mostly due to the lower torque of the 9253 servo (just a guess )

I'm running MS 107mm blades on my Fury. It does really well on 540 stalls...but if you are wanting to pull off additional piros in the stall turn you will start seeing inconsistancies in the piro rate. Now if you were to do the same manuever with the plastic tail blades like come stock with the Fury Expert the "whipping" behavior you are describing is far worse.

I had the same thing with my Rap50...The stock blades stunk, but I found the blue plastic Freya T/R blades helped...not cured, but a heck of a lot better.

As far as truly consistant piro rate in a maneuver you're best bet is the 601. One of my flying buddies is a rep for a major heli/radio brand and top-notch 3D pilot and has spent lots of time trying to make the 401 do exactly what you've been trying. He made some headway but couldn't get it perfect. He's been trying out the new JR500T and has found that it does indeed hold the piro rate better than the 401.
I live with it for now, but I may have to switch to the 601 myself down the road ( or maybe even a 500T ).

Hope this is of some help,
ChrisW
ChrisW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2004, 04:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks all for the advise fellas, glad I'm not alone in the problem. I haven't really considered going to the 601 mainly because of the cost and the lack of support from futaba.

if money comes up this spring, I want to try the 500T. somebody's got to be a guinea pig! 8)
Old 01-05-2008, 06:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd chime in anyway. I just installed a set of Align Carbon Tail blades in conjunction with a 401/9253 and my piro rate is ballistic. I thought I was flying a Trex450 that's how fast it is.

Before with the stock plastic blades it was really slow so I can vouch for blades making a big difference.

I'd estimate my piro rate at 540 per second. I guess that's pretty good considering the servo is only 28oz's of torque.
plane is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2014, 09:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Re: Paralel chargeing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-al View Post
I've noticed this across all my fleet, a Raven 50 and a Predator Max. it happens in just about any type of motion. I'll do a 540 stall turn and on the second go around, once she starts falling, the tail will whip like crazy. It does the same thing if I'm flying in normal forward flight. I'm running 95mm mahs on my 50 and vblade 105mms on my max. I even noticed it this weekend when I tried a knife edge pirorette. FYI- my piro rate is now about 360 deg/sec.
ok I will be buying a few of these found one to charge 6 at a time .....thanks a lot man sure saves me a binch of work

Sent from my galaxy s
Old 02-21-2014, 06:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quoting a decade old post, and answering with total gibberish. That must be some kind of record...

Skickat från min HTC One X via Tapatalk
Only the ground is the limit!
LinusLarsson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Re: 401 whipping during FF

Ok this was a total mis hap was quoting from a.charger guestion and this happened lol no clue

Sent from my galaxy s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in