Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics > Futaba 14MZ - 12Z

Futaba 14MZ - 12Z Futaba 14MZ and 12Z Help and features Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2008, 09:41 AM   #21 (permalink)

When I first read MZFAN's post I thought he meant the EEPROM contains some sort of look-up table listing all frequencies the module can generate. After studying the attached documents I suppose it just contains a country-code and a frequency band. The country-code and band values are than mapped to a list of possible frequencies inside the transmitter. As different countries allow different channels in a given band, this mechanism allows to access more frequencies. Right?

What Nicolas would like to do, is using a frequency that is outside the predefined 35Mhz ranges.

Does anybody have more info on the internals of these RF modules? At some point the radio must communicate to the RF module what frequency to generate. Does anybody know how this works?

Thanks,
Frederic
FredericG is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2008, 10:57 AM   #22 (permalink)

My HF Map location

From my understanding the 35 mhz module will only generate the frequencies that are used in the 35 mhz for Radio control. As for the difference between which one are used. I would think that is controlled thru the region coding. For example a transmitter with Europe/UK region code will allow different 35 mhz freqs than a Europe only region code.
Same way with the 72 mhz freqs. The Japanese only have access to 10 72 mhz freqs. While here in North America we have access to 50 of the 72 mhz freqs.

David
DavidH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2008, 07:47 AM   #23 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi,
As FredericG said the possible frequencies are mapped in a table in the radio software. There is one frequency table for each area. By changing area and or frequency in the module and radio, you can only choose which table will be used. But you cannot use a frequency that is not in your area and certainely not a frequency that is not in any area. That is one of the reason why an update is necessary to use 2.4GHz.
If you want to use a completly new frequency like Nicolas, well, you will have to hack the radio software... Which is far far more difficult!
MZFAN is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2008, 10:33 AM   #24 (permalink)

Default Pony config device

Hi ,

MZFAN,

I be ready to prove the change of area of Hong Kong to Europe in a Futaba
12FGA bought in Keimod.com but emerge me certain doubts

As have to configure the Pony Prog ? ( to see photo attaches )

SI Prog API or SI Prog I/O or JDM API ?

and the rest of parameters of invert in white ? ( Invert reset, invert SCKL, etc )

thanks & regards !!! :wink:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	config devide Pony.jpg
Views:	1366
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	35196  
sinver is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2008, 05:46 PM   #25 (permalink)

Hello, i m just reading this post and i have a info and a need help too, i explain :

I have a T12FG europe with 41 module, and i have bought a TM-14 modulle ( FASST ) in USA, and this module doesn't work with my T12, it's have a region code, that write on the manuel of module too.

Do you know now if it's possible too change it like the other module ?

Tank
Skymax is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2008, 06:09 PM   #26 (permalink)

My HF Map location

The software for the 2.4 modules will only work with tranmitters that are region coded for North America. That is the software that is posted on the Futaba sites here in the USA.
The pilots in Europe that purchased from the USA had to change the region code in there transmitters to be able to use the software they downloaded from Futaba USA sites.
I think you will have to wait on the software update for the Europe coded transmitters.

David
Old 01-10-2008, 06:25 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
The software for the 2.4 modules will only work with tranmitters that are region coded for North America. That is the software that is posted on the Futaba sites here in the USA.
That sounds strange to me, because I do have a non USA 14MZ and I was able to use the last update (1.37) without any trouble, plus when this update was made available in march, it's been reported (by Rcfan) that the Robbe european update was binary identical to the FFC one.

So that would mean Futaba has changed their policy and are making updates for each area now ??? interesting to see they are giving themselves more work... on the other hand I guess Futaba folks are quite annoyed as well messing with all local radio regulations :/

Sam
sambogosse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2008, 06:35 PM   #28 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Sam,
Being the country you reside in has some special regulations about 2.4 ghz. You should understand probably why the software is different for certain areas. If I understand correctly, France government does not all the frequencies to be used in the 2.4 ghz as the other countries do. That is why the switch for France is on the 7 and 8 ch. Futaba modules. I think with the TM 14 module. Futaba decided to control that thru the software update in the radio. So there software created is created for the radios according to there region code. I am sure when Ripmax in the UK releases the T14M modules and software. I would think the software they release would not work in a transmitter with a region code of America.

David
Old 01-11-2008, 03:17 AM   #29 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

My HF Map location

Ripmax have the software to enable the 12FG to use the TM 14 module but not for the 14MZ and the 12MZ (still at V1.37)

Perhaps someone who has an American 12GF and TM 14 module could load this version on and see if it still works without setting the region code

http://www.ripmax.com/software_upgra...aba_radios.asp

Morley F1 60 Max (OS 61LX-H), Hirobo SDX (OS 55HZ-H, GY701), Trex 450SE + some planks
MarkD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2008, 03:38 AM   #30 (permalink)

i think personaly, it's in the eprom of the module where are the region code and we need to modify his region code like the other module, because my T12FG europe has the same soft than the US version, all update work perfectly.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:55 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

I too have a 12FG that I purchased from Hong Kong and I am now faced with the problem of trying to change region to the U.K. I want to use a U.K. 2.4 FAAST module but I will have to find a way to change region. Is there anyone out there that has succesfully done this on a 12FG? Anybody working on software to do this?
Old 01-11-2008, 10:55 AM   #32 (permalink)

Hi,
Sinver,
Don't do complicated where it is simple, you just have to choose the com port in this screen and let it to SI Prog API.

Skymax,
I don't know if the module programming is working with the 2.4GHz module. I don't have one yet.

David and others,
I really doubt there will be different software for France or other countries. There are only 3 release site as far as I know for the update: FFC in USA only for USA customer leaving in the USA... Robbe for europe where you need to register which does not work all the time... and Futaba site in Japan where you only need your radio serial number and a little bit of japanese understanding to access download.
Where would they put a french version???
Old 01-11-2008, 10:58 AM   #33 (permalink)

Hello, for french user the update it's here http://www.aviotiger.com/telechargement.php?menu=7
but they don't have T12FG for now because the module it's not officialy disponible but the T12FG with 2.4 it's
Old 01-11-2008, 11:53 AM   #34 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Sky,
If I am reading the site you listed correctly.
Looks like the encoder is 1.37 for the update.

The encoder we have in the software update here in North America is 1.38
It looks like this in the information in my transmitter
Editor/Encoder : V. 1. 2. 0 / V 1.38

That is with the 2.4 software update installed in the radio from the Futaba site here in the US.

Just a guess, but I would think the update you listed would look like this on the information page
Editor/Encoder V. 1. 1. 0 / V.1. 37

David
Old 01-11-2008, 12:03 PM   #35 (permalink)

i think it's not up to date on our french site
Old 01-11-2008, 12:15 PM   #36 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

My HF Map location

I don't think the TM 14 is shipping to the EU quite yet. Most online shops say due in January. Maybe that's why none of the EU software has been released?

Morley F1 60 Max (OS 61LX-H), Hirobo SDX (OS 55HZ-H, GY701), Trex 450SE + some planks
MarkD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2008, 04:45 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZFAN View Post
Hi,
Sinver,
Don't do complicated where it is simple, you just have to choose the com port in this screen and let it to SI Prog API.
Ok, thanks & regards !!!
sinver is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2008, 06:59 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hi,
I really doubt there will be different software for France or other countries.
Where would they put a french version???
Hello there

Since I'm back home for the week-end I could make some test with my 14MZ. First I tried to change the zone from Asia to America to see if my 72 MHz module would work >> Region change is OK but the module won't work (without much surprise since it's been said already that the region code is in the module too, but I just wanted to check this).

Then I tried to update to the latest version from futaba US website >> it works, the software is updated. So I confirm the update can be used for any region. I do not have access to 2.4G to check if it's allowed (I don't have the module at this time)

But the point is : if Futaba is to make new specific regions, let's say "France" or "Austria" which are the 2 countries we know in europe to have restrictions, Someone who wants to go for 2.4 would have to change the region of his/her radio (meaning return the radio to service, or get a new Utility program released by Futaba ?). That would make the 2.4G upgrade somehow complicated, and from my point of view it doesn't make much sense since nothing can prevent French people to buy their stuff in the UK for example (the market is open between european countries)

What are your thoughts on this ?

Sam
sambogosse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2008, 01:14 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Hi,
As FredericG said the possible frequencies are mapped in a table in the radio software. There is one frequency table for each area. By changing area and or frequency in the module and radio, you can only choose which table will be used. But you cannot use a frequency that is not in your area and certainely not a frequency that is not in any area. That is one of the reason why an update is necessary to use 2.4GHz.
If you want to use a completly new frequency like Nicolas, well, you will have to hack the radio software... Which is far far more difficult!
I would think that the radio sends a value to the RF module in order to select the frequency. Also over SPI but to another component in the module? (just a wild guess)
Perhaps the frequency table contains ascii strings like "35.140" along with a value that is sent to the RF module. (even a wilder guess :wink
Perhaps it would be doable to place a controller between the radio and the rf module that alters the value sent to the module.

Perhaps it is possible to tune the circuit so that is is 20 KHz off?

I am looking for any hint on how this works...

Thanks
Frederic
FredericG is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2008, 10:22 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambogosse View Post
Hello there

But the point is : if Futaba is to make new specific regions, let's say "France" or "Austria" which are the 2 countries we know in europe to have restrictions, Someone who wants to go for 2.4 would have to change the region of his/her radio (meaning return the radio to service, or get a new Utility program released by Futaba ?). That would make the 2.4G upgrade somehow complicated, and from my point of view it doesn't make much sense since nothing can prevent French people to buy their stuff in the UK for example (the market is open between european countries)

What are your thoughts on this ?

Sam
Hi sam,
Well I can only give you my opinion on this... I think Futaba won't bother to make new areas. They will probably add the 2.4 GHz to the European area and then use the module itself for specific country limitation.
The 2.4 MHz modules are far more complicated than the actual ones and they have there own software to implement the 2.4 GHz FASST system. The modification will certainly be made there fo each country. In this case you will just have to upgrade your radio software and buy the module in your country to go 2.4GHz.
But it is just my opinion.:wink:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in