Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 500X

Blade 500X Blade 500X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2014, 03:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Blade 500X with Spirit System, FBL unit

Just rebuilt my # 1 , 500X after a little dirt nap a couple of months ago.

While benched, the AR7200BX was transferred to my 550X (another story )

...so ended up getting hold of a new FBL Flight control unit from Spirit System.
No issues with the AR7200BX ..a fine unit ..just thought I would try something different ...the main advantage is that the Spirit FBL unit has a self level or bail out option .....haven't tested this yet ...on the 'to do' list next weekend.

First flight today.

All good and very impressed

Used the suggested settings, as per the manual, on the Spirit
....all very good on the first flight.

Second flight I got rid of the nerves and also run a slightly higher gain on the tail.

Was a very enjoyable flight.
Differences in 'feel' ...very subtle but in general the spirit feels a little more locked in.

Flew my 550X straight after the 500X and noted that they felt very similar now.

A caveat to these comments.
I am a relative junior in the flying talent department.
Circuits, figure 8s, nose in hovers, big sky loops, back flips, inverted hovers with minimal forward inverted flight ....is where I am at.

A comment I have read elsewhere is that the Spirit made the Heli feel like a bigger bird. .....I agree.

Phil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2014, 08:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default receiver

Manphil,

I'm getting ready to do the same with my 500X
Which receiver did you pair with the Spirit System FBL?

Thanks and good luck!

Tom
Plasmaguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2014, 03:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi Tom,

I initially was planning on just running 2 satellites, but had issues getting a bind from the DX8.
I had a Spektrum AR6210 Rx in my box of spares, so it, got the call to arms.

While setting the Rx up I realised that the temp power I rigged to the Rx was at a too low a voltage (one of those 4AA packs with a servo lead).
So, I probably did not need the Rx after all.
Its working fine, so not sure to take it out or not ......would reduce the wire lead count considerably.

I mounted the Spirit on the tray where the AR7200 BeastX unit was but right side up, rather than upside down like the AR7200. This does not leave a lot of room for the servo leads as the leads come in to the top of the Spirit. The unit is sitting just back from the leading edge of the tray, so that wires stay away from the belt and gear set.

To re-cable if needed I have to loosen the screws in the frame and wiggle the whole tray out. But once it is set up you don't have to play with wires anymore ;-)

From memory I think I have to turn reverse off on the Tx for Pitch and Rudder, from the BeastX settings.
Everything else just fell in to place as you step through the Spirit set-up.

I did not test the rescue/bail-out modes on the maiden flight. Last night I had a look at the settings and I had to set the pitch correction in the setup to a negative value. When I selected rescue mode on the TX it would pull negative pitch ...setting a negative value reverses this action. hope to try it out next Sunday.

The second run through the setup ,clarified a few things for me ...so ... I think, I have a handle on it now. ....not that it is difficult ....mainly in my head ..just translating the terms and experience from BeastX to Spirit talk ..if you get my drift.

I think you will like the Spirit system. I am impressed.

Phil.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Successfully tested the bail-out option this weekend.

Went up high and threw the Heli over on it's left-side, hit the bail-out switch.
The Heli growled at the air and in a flash was upright and going higher.

Threw to the right-side ...Heli growled at the air , righted and started climbing.

Flipped it inverted ..hit the switch ...Heli growled at the air, flipped right side up and climbed.

...see a pattern here ??

The speed and aggression in which it righted itself ..at first scared me.

V e r y impressed with the Spirit FBL system.

Phil
Old 09-11-2014, 11:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmmm this is very interesting I just recently put mine into the dirt and just waiting on parts to fix it....maybe I should look into getting this FBL
Dx6i/Dx6
Sash31 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2014, 10:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Phil

How did setup go compared to beastX? Was manual ok and Czech to English translations ok? Couldn't be any worse than Kontronik I guess.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Crash,

Look, the set up was easy. I have only 2 years RC experience and only BEASTX, in AR7200bx form.

The software has a set up wizard to take you through initial set up, with pre-sets for particular helis . If you pick a size or type similar to yours, then it is even easier. Dumb-o me just plodded through the manual a page at a time. The defaults worked a treat for me.!

There are many settings to play with in the advanced menus for the knowledgeable.

The PC interface and the Android (via bluetooth) are very similar.

The English manual presented no issues for me. There is a chap in the forums aiding with the manual, so improvements are coming online quickly... Not that it is deficient at the moment..... Think polishing the shine!

The manual and the software are downloadable and can be run in "demo"... so you can take a peek-a-boo yourself.

Phil
Old 04-18-2015, 12:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Spirit FBL on 500X

Phil -

Converting my 500 3D to 500X and want to put a Spirit System FBL controller on it.

Searched for someone who had done that and found your thread on Helifreak. Wondered how it worked out for you?

Also, can I ask which tail servo arm and which hole you used? I have both the four-arm and the round versions so lots of choices from 7mm to 15mm out from center of output shaft.

Wasn't sure you'd see this, so also sent PM.

Thanks,

Don
torpicaltrail is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2015, 07:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

hey there manphil,

do you have any video of the bail out ?

cheers
Warts
Warts is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2015, 03:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpicaltrail
Phil -

Converting my 500 3D to 500X and want to put a Spirit System FBL controller on it.

Searched for someone who had done that and found your thread on Helifreak. Wondered how it worked out for you?

Also, can I ask which tail servo arm and which hole you used? I have both the four-arm and the round versions so lots of choices from 7mm to 15mm out from center of output shaft.

Thanks,

Don

-------------------------------

Hi Don,

lol ..I haven't logged in to helifreaks for a while ..luck to catch me.

I have a 5003D still stock....
the model with the Spirit system was boxed 500X. (my second one ...love the model)
Both 500X have the tail rod connected to the second hole our from centre ..of the 4 arm servo arm. With my getting older eyes ...that reads about 10.45mm centre to centre.

You will be happy with the Spirit.

Phil.
Phil -

Glad I caught you and appreciate the reply and the measuremet. I also have two Blade 500s, but both of mine are 3Ds, bought new from HH when they were blowing them out for cheap. Wanted to convert one to X, decided to wait until I crashed, and now is the time LOL. Waiting on one part (forgot to order the X main shaft) then looking forward to setting up my first FBL with rescue mode.

Probably will be a couple of weeks before it's ready to fly, but I swill let you know how it goes.

Don
torpicaltrail is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2015, 12:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warts View Post
hey there manphil,

do you have any video of the bail out ?

cheers
Warts
Hi Warts,

Sorry about the slow reply. Been busy flying!
Sorry, I don't have any video of the bail-out.
It should make a good show if you could get and in focus zoomed in shot!
Sadly. The bird had a little dirt nap. Haven't done the full NTSB investigation, yet!

How are you progressing?

Phil

Tags
balde 500x, spirit system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in