Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Engines and Mufflers

Engines and Mufflers Having problems or need advice on Engines or Mufflers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 07:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default OS 105HZ-R Gov not working

I just switched up from a 91hzr to a 105hzr, the governor was working fine with the spektrum bckpkate sensor, all I did was switch out engines. The governor will not engage, the engine will not get up to hs, it just buzzes the engine at low headspeed.

I tried disconecting the sensor from fbl unit n use throttle curvs, that works so i think its the gov or sensor, any ideas how to fix this?
trollycamber is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2014, 06:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

What fbl controller are you using ?
Old 03-04-2014, 09:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vortex
Old 03-05-2014, 04:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You probably need to pull the sensor a bit back. I saw someone had about 1-1.5mm washers between the backplate and the sensor mounting tab and when I asked why I was told the sensor needed to come back to read properly. It is a known problem and if you search for it you will find a more detailed answer than mine.

-Angelos

Angelos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2014, 02:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I tried that, used 1mm shims. I ordered a new sensor Spektrum sensor. It may have been heat from having it up against backplate???? i'll try anything.
I just grinded away the Futaba sensor holder, its much closer to the crank pin. May get better readings.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My Spektrum sensor on my OS105 HZ-R is paper thickness away from the backplate, and it works perfectly (V-Bar)
TDRx2, Synergy N7/E7se/N5cTT, Align 450L/550/700e/700n, Gaui NX7/NX4, , Goblin 700/Black Nitro, Futaba 18MZ/ V-Control All on V-Bar's and S-Bus. #0095
rctintin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2014, 11:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks rctintin
Does the OS 105HZ-R use a metal crank that magnets are not attracted to?

The sensor is picking up my steel tools and they shut the sensor on and off, I still do not get a good reading from the crank pin. I will change out sensor IF Post office delivers this week.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

You could try pulling the backplate off and manually move the sensor towards the crank to see if you can get it to toggle? That might at least tell you if it's a sensor issue or a distance between the crank and sensor issue.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, so I pulled the Vortex and installed an iKon, the old sensor worked with it. I put the Vortex back on, this time with the new spektrum sensor. It did not change anything, the sensor reading blips for split-second as the crank pin goes by the sensor, it doesn't stay on for one revolution or stay off for one revolution. The heli spools up but the governor will not engage.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Does your sensor have the digits 616 anywhere on its front face? In fact can you take a photo of it and post it here please.

EDIT: Also, what is the exact Spektrum part number (SMP????) of the new sensor you ordered. Please only tell me if listed on the paperwork. Don't try and guess it from the web as I think there are at least two that look the same but work different.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spektrum_rpm_sensor.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	494674  

Old 03-15-2014, 11:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the 617

This the old one;

This is the new one on the heli, Its not a good pick but it says 617 on it. 7000XAC, 617, 1237.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0986.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	494790   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0985.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	494791  
Old 03-16-2014, 06:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I figured it out...

The 616 sensor requires a minimum of 3.5V to operate (according to official spec from the chip manufacturer) whilst the 617 requires 4.5V. They will often operate with lower voltages too but they performance may start to be affected. Certainly it is not recommended to do so.

The Vortex provides regulated 3.6V to the RPM sensor which has been fine for every governor sensor in existence until this 617 just surfaced. Providing regulated power to the sensor is much better as it has clean voltage unaffected by digital servo noise etc which sometimes affect it.

For the best possible results I think the 616 sensor is the way to go although I realise it may be hard to find one especially if Spektrum have mixed production runs on recently switched to the 617.

Alternatively try connecting your 617 sensor as shown on the photo and see if that makes it work. Basically instead of taking regulated power from the Vortex we take unregulated from the main power bus. You can use either the DataPod or RX middle pin for a quick test.

-Angelos
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	617_sensor_connection.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	494805  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in