Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Kontronik Drives

Kontronik Drives Jazz and Jive ESC's and other Kontronik equipment support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default HeliJive + V-bar Gov & soft start

I set up the V-bar governor with a Helijive v11. It's outstanding. However, the soft start is not the least bit soft. I set up the system according to MrMel's excellent videos. When taking off, I use a normal throttle curve of 0-90-90-90-90 (approx), as shown in MrMels video. Is this correct? Do I need to take off in Idle 1 (v-bar gov in control since throttle is about 50%) in order to trigger the V-bar's soft start? I did a search on other threads but I never found a definitive solution. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Tenguru is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The soft start in mode 8 vbar gov mode the spool up is 6 seconds and should not be changed as it has to do with the hand off to the vbar gov and theres a bit of a kick , And no lowering the curve wont affect spoolup.
Magneto is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 02:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is electric, do not spool up in normal ( you only confuse governor ... ) , use idle 1. With VStabi governor and Helijive in mode 8 kick at spool up will be still there, you can do only one thing ... pre spool up rotor by hand.
swalko is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 03:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Or lower the lower end point fir esc in vbar gov ii tab. You'll get a littlle bit longer bailout (still you can set it up as to be zero diferrence). Actually, you should set it that there is no delay after turning off TH during bailout, but as low as you can. I made it that way in my 700 with yge120hv in plane fast and i have zero initil kick.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swalko View Post
This is electric, do not spool up in normal ( you only confuse governor ... ) , use idle 1. With VStabi governor and Helijive in mode 8 kick at spool up will be still there, you can do only one thing ... pre spool up rotor by hand.
Confuse the vbar gov? How so? The vbar does not control the initial spool up, and the helijive is in mode 8 external gov mode. I understand what you are saying in the case of running the jive governor. I never thought about prespooling by hand. Good idea.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by maczar View Post
Or lower the lower end point fir esc in vbar gov ii tab. You'll get a littlle bit longer bailout (still you can set it up as to be zero diferrence). Actually, you should set it that there is no delay after turning off TH during bailout, but as low as you can. I made it that way in my 700 with yge120hv in plane fast and i have zero initil kick.
I believe MrMel showed, in his latest vbar gov video, that the helijive end points must be left at 100/100. Maybe I misunderstood something.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenguru View Post
Confuse the vbar gov? How so? The vbar does not control the initial spool up, and the helijive is in mode 8 external gov mode. I understand what you are saying in the case of running the jive governor.
Yes, i know that Helijive care about spool up. That is general rule for governors.

Quote:
I believe MrMel showed, in his latest vbar gov video, that the helijive end points must be left at 100/100. Maybe I misunderstood something.
No, you are right, Helijive end points must be left at -100/100.
swalko is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think I remember something about being able to use the ProgDisk to control spool up on a V-Bar controlled HeliJive. Is that so or not?
BigIreland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2012, 12:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I set up the V-bar governor with a Helijive v11.
What motor are you using ?
jhheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 12:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhheli View Post
What motor are you using ?
Pyro 700-45.

I changed my normal throttle curve to something like 0-20-90-90-90 and that has largely eliminated the violent spool up. Once the motor gets going, i flip into idle up and the v-bar gov takes over. This approach is working for me now, but if there is a better way, I will try it. Thanks for the help, everyone.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

In your startup sequence, if you are not moving directly from -100% throttle to your throttle % for your target headspeed, this may cause problems. Moving throttle up gradually in NORMAL mode may not work consistently.

Here is what I do (vbar 5.3, HeliJive v11 and Xera 4530):

INITIALIZATION
DX8 set to normal mode with throttle at low stick with the HOLD switched on. My bailout switch (GEAR) is set to off position.
- throttle curve in normal mode is 0-97-97-97-97
- throttle curve in HOLD mode is 0-0-0-0-0
- DX8 monitor shows -100% for throttle
Switch on vbar, wait for double jump of swash plate (vbar is initialized), complete connection of flight pack to ESC, wait for ESC/motor to initialize (phone sound).

FLIGHT
1) flip into flight mode 1 or 2
2) move throttle/collective to mid stick
3) flip out of HOLD
- throttle curve in FM1 and FM2 is 100-100-100-100-100 ( I use bank switching for different headspeeds).
-DX8 monitor shows -100% for throttle until the very last step of flipping out of HOLD. After flipping out of HOLD, my throttle in DX8 monitor reads +101%. (not +100 because of radio to vbar calibration in beginning of vbar setup).
4) heli spools up smoothly to target headspeed at mid stick (zero pitch).

Also, vbar gov II tab in setup should remain -100 and +100.
jmackey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackey View Post
In your startup sequence, if you are not moving directly from -100% throttle to your throttle % for your target headspeed, this may cause problems. Moving throttle up gradually in NORMAL mode may not work consistently.

Here is what I do (vbar 5.3, HeliJive v11 and Xera 4530):

INITIALIZATION
DX8 set to normal mode with throttle at low stick with the HOLD switched on. My bailout switch (GEAR) is set to off position.
- throttle curve in normal mode is 0-97-97-97-97
- throttle curve in HOLD mode is 0-0-0-0-0
- DX8 monitor shows -100% for throttle
Switch on vbar, wait for double jump of swash plate (vbar is initialized), complete connection of flight pack to ESC, wait for ESC/motor to initialize (phone sound).

FLIGHT
1) flip into flight mode 1 or 2
2) move throttle/collective to mid stick
3) flip out of HOLD
- throttle curve in FM1 and FM2 is 100-100-100-100-100 ( I use bank switching for different headspeeds).
-DX8 monitor shows -100% for throttle until the very last step of flipping out of HOLD. After flipping out of HOLD, my throttle in DX8 monitor reads +101%. (not +100 because of radio to vbar calibration in beginning of vbar setup).
4) heli spools up smoothly to target headspeed at mid stick (zero pitch).

Also, vbar gov II tab in setup should remain -100 and +100.

Thanks! I will give this a shot. May I ask what you use the normal throttle curve for? Bench testing?
Old 08-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Normal and HOLD is belt and suspenders

Normal and HOLD is just a failsafe. Takes two actions to activate heli.

Jay
jmackey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in