Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Warp 360

Warp 360 Compass Warp 360 Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 02:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default In flight motor cool down period?

Now that the OAT is 90 degrees plus I was wondering if there was any benefit to stopping 3D flight early and just cruse around under low power for the last minute of flight with the expectation that this will cool the electronics with emphasis on the motor, my ESC runs warm but no where near hot, but I have not checked the ESC temp logs to verify. The motor is my worry.
Anyone out there with telemetry to confirm one way or another?
If there was a benefit, I would certainly shut down the high power requirements before reaching the end of my battery, during the last minute or so, if just for these high temp days to save the motor.
Looking at twelve flights today

Thanks in advance,
Viking
A VIKING is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is this the stock motor? That thing's the coolest running motor in my fleet, and I'll fly back to back flights with one Warp in up to say 22 degrees C. Otherwise, just let it cool down between flights.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nifty View Post
Is this the stock motor? That thing's the coolest running motor in my fleet, and I'll fly back to back flights with one Warp in up to say 22 degrees C. Otherwise, just let it cool down between flights.

Chris, it is stock and yes it is a normally cool running motor but my question is would pushing it hard to the end of the flight on that hot day lead to a heat soak of the motor that could be avoided with a little low power cool down period in flight?
I am probably worried over nothing, just trying not to abuse it, it's been such a great ship. I fly outside my house so I can put flights up back to back with little down time between flights...except for waiting for a cool down. Todays electric motors are designed to run pretty hot so maybe the temp my motor achieves on the hot days is not an issue.

Viking
Old 06-29-2013, 11:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

IMHO, you can flog that thing as much as you like during the course of an entire flight, and you'll do the motor no harm (as long as the bearings are in good condition). Just let it cool down between flights.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nifty View Post
IMHO, you can flog that thing as much as you like during the course of an entire flight, and you'll do the motor no harm (as long as the bearings are in good condition). Just let it cool down between flights.

Thanks Chris! I'll let the flogging continue...show no mercy.
...but I'll let it and myself cool down between flights. I did do some experimenting yesterday with my calibrated fingers and found I really couldn't tell that much of a difference in cool down period to the next flight, maybe a little longer but not the minute of time lost at the end of the flight at low power. My flying field has little horizontal space so I have no extended forward flight during maneuvers, the majority is stationary or performed in a very small box so airflow (cooling flow) across my ship is minimal.

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a temp gauge. The motor runs cool 145 -150 or 60 above ambient. It cools down to 120 in less than 5 minutes . .

so . . .
back to back flying is in order (7 flights an hour).

Diviner Gregg

FPV Racing Channel . . . new episode every other Friday

Last edited by Diviner; 07-04-2013 at 07:03 PM..
Diviner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2013, 11:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Letting motors cool down is not normally needed, the 2 I have telemetry on reach their max temp within a couple of mins then stay there for the rest of the flight. The temp on subsequent flights (no cool down) is pretty much the same (varies a few degrees).

Basically the motor heats quickly to its equilibrium temp, then stays there regardless of how long you fly for (or how many back to back flights).
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013, 12:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Interesting. Thanks for that. Theoretically though, maybe it's slightly better for the bearings to allow the motor to cool a bit between flights on warm days, especially if you're like me and opt against oiling them.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post
Letting motors cool down is not normally needed, the 2 I have telemetry on reach their max temp within a couple of mins then stay there for the rest of the flight. The temp on subsequent flights (no cool down) is pretty much the same (varies a few degrees).

Basically the motor heats quickly to its equilibrium temp, then stays there regardless of how long you fly for (or how many back to back flights).
+1. I agree with ds. I think motor temp cool down periods are not needed. Something that gets propagated repeatably, but isn't really logical. We are talking about metal, not ice cream. Cooling down 40 degrees shouldn't make a difference to metal as long as the temps stay below a reasonable level. Maybe other components may need a cooling rest, but not motors IMHO.

But max temp is important.

Diviner Gregg

FPV Racing Channel . . . new episode every other Friday
Diviner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in