Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Starting FPV with Fatshark, Immersion and go pro

Getting ready to order up my first FPV setup but thought I should consult the FPV experts first on Heli Freak so I don't make too many beginner mistakes. I have been researching the FPV side of our hobby for about a year now and I think I know what would suit my needs. Please let me know what you think and let me know if I am missing anything or if I am buy the wrong equipment. I will be using this equipment on a small platform like my blade 400 or Trex 500 first but eventually I want to FPV my 700.

1. Fat shark Dominator Goggles-I picked these because I want a simple short range setup to learn on, I am planning on using the immersion RC Rx that mounts in the goggles with a helical receiving antenna.

2. Immersion RC 5.8GHz 600mw video Tx with the 5.8GHz circular polarized antenna from ImmersionRC and Fat Shark.

3. Go Pro Hero 2-I think most people choose this camera but I was also looking at the Horizon HD too but... it really just looked like it was similar to the go pro with out a case. I would like to be more flexible with the camera and I feel if I have the horizon HD I couldn't do other things with it like...skydiving.(not really)

I am some what worried about not using diversity receivers, a stronger Tx and a big setup but I really don't thing I will be going much further than 1500 to 2000 feet away and to start.

Anyways please feel free to let me know what you think.
thielecg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 06:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just ordered what you are describing to run on my F450 quad with my gopro.
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=781
Just add the OSD and swap the camera for the gopro cable and I think that matched your package exactly.

The research I have done says this should work pretty good for close "line of sight" flying. I tried the same setup on a friends glider and it was good most of the time. when the plane turned just the right angle it would block the signal. But a little turn would correct it. Never tried it on a Carbon Fiber helicopter though.
jlharv is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Starting FPV with Fatshark, Immersion and go pro

What you listed works really well, trust me. With a similar setup, I got over 2km range on the ground

You should note that if you plan on running long ranges, a good OSD will save you because you know where home is. Also you should record out of your rx so you have a way of looking at the GPS coordinates of your crash

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2
jolyboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Is the crash due to equipment failure or pilot error. If it is due to equipment failure I think I need to rethink my planned setup.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also what radio are you running Spectrum or Futaba, I am a little bit nervous running spektrum equipment without any extender modules or such.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

It would be a way of finding the model in any crash provided you can receive the GPS data to record.

I run FRSky because it is wayyyyy better than spektrum. Longer range plus it beeps at you when you are losing signal (this feature has saved my plane a few times now)

Old 11-06-2012, 11:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can I use freesky with my DX8?
Old 11-07-2012, 01:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not sure, I use an FRSky module in my TX. Does you DX8 have a removable module?

Old 11-07-2012, 06:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You can also use a "return to home" feature if you run a GPS. I have it on my quad. If I lose signal it will fly back to where it took off. Planes can fly back and circle the take off point.
jlharv is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not flying quads, and until I can get a GPS Module for My SK-720 I can't do that yet.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi thielecg,

FPV is a totally different experience than line of sight flying. When I first started flying FPV I went straight to using my heli. FPV with a heli can be tricky, you may want to consider getting some cheap trainer like a Sky Surfer/Bixler to get used to flying FPV.. That is the route I took and now I'm moving back to FPV with one of my helis.

I'm using the same setup that you listed except for pinwheel antennas from FPVLR.com. I'm also using the Range Video OSD. It's really cool. It has tons of features including auto pilot modes for planes.

I am using a DX8 as well, I was constantly worried about flying out of range so I bought the Dragon Link UHF system. It uses the trainer port, you don't have to hack your radio up to connect it.
Mike A. is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just got started in this and i'm using a dx8 with a gopro hero2 fatshark 5.8 and spironet antennas.
i've been flying heli's since 1989
I put this fpv setup on a tbs discovery quad and it is differnt when you fly fpv
first off I find myself worrying about whats around me I cant see when flying low
when flying high I find myself worrying about loosing the thing because orientation is way different fpv. I really think it would be easier to fly with a osd which I am about to order. I need a nice osd but I dont want to over pay for one.
anyone have any recommendations
X-8 FPV Wing, TBS Discovery FPV, TBS Caipirinha FPV

Last edited by satgod; 12-07-2012 at 03:31 PM..
satgod is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 12:13 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike A. View Post
Hi thielecg,

I am using a DX8 as well, I was constantly worried about flying out of range so I bought the Dragon Link UHF system. It uses the trainer port, you don't have to hack your radio up to connect it.
Mike A.

I too am thinking a lot about rand on my DX8, I was looking at the dragon link and a few others but really didn't want to operate on my DX8 so I am glad to hear it uses the trainer port. One question though, does the dragon link just amplify the spektrum signal or does it transmit the commands from the trainer port on a second transmitter? if so is that a 900Mhz transmitter to a on board receiver and then that receiver feeds whatever you have IE Skookum 720, BeastX and Vbar?

Chase
Old 12-08-2012, 07:10 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

When you plug in something to the trainer port on the DX8 it shuts off the 2.4ghz radio and it outputs a PPM signal on the trainer port. The Dragon Link takes the PPM signal and transmits it to the plane/heli. The Dragon Link transmits at 433mhz. The range is up to ~18 miles!

Your dragon link rx will connect to your FBL system just like a specktrum RX would connect to your FBL system.
Mike A. is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

So basically if I am using DSMX satellites then I would not use them and hook up my SK540 like it was receiving commands from a traditional receiver right?
Old 12-26-2012, 11:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by thielecg View Post
So basically if I am using DSMX satellites then I would not use them and hook up my SK540 like it was receiving commands from a traditional receiver right?
anytime you use a UHF system you will unhook the dsmx sats and plug the UHF rx up just like you would a standard 2.4ghz receiver to the fbl controller, in your case the skookum 540
X-8 FPV Wing, TBS Discovery FPV, TBS Caipirinha FPV
satgod is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in